Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

24K mi on mine and I'm not happy with the sloppy 2nd to 3rd gear change in Normal Mode under mid throttle. A bit more throttle makes the shift better, but it's more than I usually give it. My worry is that with this slippage....it leads to something else. Glad I paid the extra $2500 for the 100K warranty.... Will take it in for fluid change at 30K mi because Ford tranny's work better with cleaner fluid.

24K mi on mine and I'm not happy with the sloppy 2nd to 3rd gear change in Normal Mode under mid throttle. A bit more throttle makes the shift better, but it's more than I usually give it. My worry is that with this slippage....it leads to something else. Glad I paid the extra $2500 for the 100K warranty.... Will take it in for fluid change at 30K mi because Ford tranny's work better with cleaner fluid.

I think you can mitigate most of the issues or annoyances if you put it in sport mode. I tried it and the harshness of the shifts wasn't so bad. I guess it's because it doesn't shift as often as it does when in normal mode. You can literally get the car into 5th or even 6th gear by 35mph or so. It's crazy. Then when you need to stop for a light, it does the chicken dance as it's downshifting and you and whoever is in the car with you can dance with the car as it's downshifting lol.

That's very odd. Everyone i know that owned a ford had issues. The dealer i got my XLT from, my co-worker has bought like 10 cars from there. He's a ford guy but his cars are always at the dealer. And by always i mean at least once a month. CEL randomly pops up. Gauge cluster all of a sudden doesn't illuminate. Infotainment screen randomly cuts in and out. Backup camera doesn't turn on sometimes. Suspension noises, wheel wobble, wheel bearings going out at 10k miles. His son is on his 4th mustang. Same thing. Engine tick. Wheel bearing etc. When i ask him why do you continue to buy ford if they're always in the shop, his answer was, "my dad told me if a car gives you so many problems, don't give up on it, learn from it and hope it gets better". lol and that's exactly what he's doing. It makes zero sense but hey more power to him if he wants to be brand loyal.

My friend has a hellcat, that makes 800rwhp. ZERO issues. And him and I beat on our cars every weekend we get to cruise together. I have a near 700rwhp corvette. Owned it a little over 4 years. ZERO issues. Never had a check engine light, never had engine noises, never leaked any type of fluid ever. And i don't baby the car. It has almost 30k miles and i can assure you those 30k miles weren't babied. I drive it all year round so in winter i do take it easy but during these months now, the car gets driven HARD every time it leaves the house. The car doesn't skip a beat.

My XLT, on the other hand, small issues from week 1 basically.

Every car has their issues. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. So far, this being my first actually brand new ford (had used fords before), it's not looking good in terms of first impression on a new car.

Your description of Fords is what I have experienced with the other cars I have owned. I haven't had any of those issues with the Fords I've owned and I've owned 9 of them since the late '80's and haven't been without one since '89. With the exception of my last F-150, I go in for normal maintenance and every once in a while have a warranty issue come up. The other brands new cars I bought were in the shop at least quarterly with a laundry list of issues needing correction. The Dodge had major issues needing correcting at least twice a year. With the GMs the issues came up monthly, but they were repaired quarterly. Nissans might be better now, but they are a French company and I don't buy French products unless I have no other option.

Your description of Fords is what I have experienced with the other cars I have owned. I haven't had any of those issues with the Fords I've owned and I've owned 9 of them since the late '80's and haven't been without one since '89. With the exception of my last F-150, I go in for normal maintenance and every once in a while have a warranty issue come up. The other brands new cars I bought were in the shop at least quarterly with a laundry list of issues needing correction. The Dodge had major issues needing correcting at least twice a year. With the GMs the issues came up monthly, but they were repaired quarterly. Nissans might be better now, but they are a French company and I don't buy French products unless I have no other option.

That's really odd. I've owned more GM's and dodge's than i ever did with fords my entire life and my 20 XLT now has had more annoyances and issues since brand new than all the rest combined. I had a 2015 charger RT (owned for less than a year though) and the only thing that went bad was the infotainment screen. Randomly it was just black screen, as if it was off. Got it fixed under warranty from the dealer, supposedly a loose connection and it was fixed. And was perfect until the time i sold it. All my corvettes (on my 4th now) have been flawless. The only thing that went bad (as in needed to be replaced often) was spark plugs and tires. Aggressive track alignment on corvettes destroys tire wear.

My XLT in under 4,000 miles. I've had the brake pedal go rock stiff on me to the point where i was scared to drive it.

The horrendous, HORRENDOUS, transmission personality. Lunges, it jerks when cold, it can't downshift properly and it does rockabye baby whenever you're parallel parking and you need to transition back and forth from D to R and R to D again, it jiggles and rocks like there's a party inside the cabin.

Random safety alerts telling me there's a fault and disabled to contact the ford dealer to have it checked.

Also the interior rattles. I mean why would a brand new car, a month after getting it, develop a rattle?

But yeah of course every car has their issues. The same way you said you have had no issues with your ford but did with your GM and dodge could be the same case but opposite for someone else. As i just explained above.

The difference is, the 20 was a brand new gen, and the 21's are no different, and looks like the 22 might be no different either. So much for ducking a 1st year model to avoid those issues, when the subsequent years have the same problems.

Please keep in mind that this thread is on the 10-speed transmission. Please try and keep your posts on that subject. There are several other threads that can be used to discuss other issues, Thank you.

Peter

That's really odd. I've owned more GM's and dodge's than i ever did with fords my entire life and my 20 XLT now has had more annoyances and issues since brand new than all the rest combined. I had a 2015 charger RT (owned for less than a year though) and the only thing that went bad was the infotainment screen. Randomly it was just black screen, as if it was off. Got it fixed under warranty from the dealer, supposedly a loose connection and it was fixed. And was perfect until the time i sold it. All my corvettes (on my 4th now) have been flawless. The only thing that went bad (as in needed to be replaced often) was spark plugs and tires. Aggressive track alignment on corvettes destroys tire wear.

My XLT in under 4,000 miles. I've had the brake pedal go rock stiff on me to the point where i was scared to drive it.

The horrendous, HORRENDOUS, transmission personality. Lunges, it jerks when cold, it can't downshift properly and it does rockabye baby whenever you're parallel parking and you need to transition back and forth from D to R and R to D again, it jiggles and rocks like there's a party inside the cabin.

Random safety alerts telling me there's a fault and disabled to contact the ford dealer to have it checked.

Also the interior rattles. I mean why would a brand new car, a month after getting it, develop a rattle?

But yeah of course every car has their issues. The same way you said you have had no issues with your ford but did with your GM and dodge could be the same case but opposite for someone else. As i just explained above.

The difference is, the 20 was a brand new gen, and the 21's are no different, and looks like the 22 might be no different either. So much for ducking a 1st year model to avoid those issues, when the subsequent years have the same problems.
If I had the same issues you are describing with the transmission I'd be extremely dissatisfied also. One thing I did notice with my first ecoboost was if I just floored it it lagged. The fix was floor it more slowly and it took off like a rocket. I wonder if some of the issues I am having with this 10 speed is due to hitting the gas too hard and it having to down shift a couple gears and it does it all at once, like going from 8th to 4th gear, so it lunges. I noticed this when I switched form eco to sport mode in anticipation of passing, but didn't change gas pedal position. The car lunged forward.

I don't know what your issue is, but as I said I definitely wouldn't be satisfied.

If I had the same issues you are describing with the transmission I'd be extremely dissatisfied also. One thing I did notice with my first ecoboost was if I just floored it it lagged. The fix was floor it more slowly and it took off like a rocket. I wonder if some of the issues I am having with this 10 speed is due to hitting the gas too hard and it having to down shift a couple gears and it does it all at once, like going from 8th to 4th gear, so it lunges. I noticed this when I switched form eco to sport mode in anticipation of passing, but didn't change gas pedal position. The car lunged forward.

I don't know what your issue is, but as I said I definitely wouldn't be satisfied.
There is a bit of finesse required with a turbo. Turbo lag, and the automatic transmission's own gear selection/reaction, can catch some of the more clumsy drivers by surprise. The rest catch on fairly quickly, and have no problems controlling the car as its characteristics become known.
By all accounts...and my own experience, this is an awesome machine.

Not meant to poo-poo complaints. It's very clear that some folks are having real build issues.

The '21 XLT i quickly drove around the dealer lot last week had the same behavior as my 20 XLT. Same rocking motion when stationary and you want to say park in a spot. It will jerk slightly into gear but if you let your foot off the brake too soon, it will rock, as if a small person was on the car trying to make the car bounce up and down slightly. That's why when i'm parking and i have to go back and forth between R and D, i literally wait 2-3 seconds, then ease up off the brake. Otherwise it will rock back and forth.

The upshifts on the car isn't that bad, (but still terrible comparing to other new cars out there), it's the downshifts that really make me not like this car. City driving this car is so frustrating because the downshifts are so jerky. The trans acts as if it's low on fluid or the torque converter isn't seated properly. That's what that feels like.

Upshifts when cold is bad but "ok" when fully warmed up. Normal mode in this car is just crap. Sorry to say. Sport mode makes city driving more livable. But the problem is, when you shut the car off, it defaults back to normal mode. Does anyone know how to make the mode saved even after you shut the car off? Maybe there is that feature i don't know about.

That's why i stopped caring about the issues and the car itself, just using it until the lease is done then poof, i'm gone. David copperfield lol. Pretty sure i'm getting that tesla next.

There is a bit of finesse required with a turbo. Turbo lag, and the automatic transmission's own gear selection/reaction, can catch some of the more clumsy drivers by surprise. The rest catch on fairly quickly, and have no problems controlling the car as its characteristics become known.

Not meant to poo-poo complaints. It's very clear that some folks are having real build issues.
I get what you mean. It took a bit with my first turbo and a 5 or 6 speed transmission. Now with this 10 speed it's taking a bit again. I have the added complexity of not being able to feel my feet anymore, so I can't really tell how much pressure I'm putting on the pedal. I have been keeping it in eco mode. I'm trying normal to see if it changes reaction to more closely resemble what I am used to. My biggest complaints have been that it seems to be in a gear too high around town, and the lag with accelerating. Other than those two things, I like the car.

Of course it feels like its in a gear too high in eco mode. Go to standard mode. Its going to go to the highest gear it can and not lug the engine.

Of course it feels like its in a gear too high in eco mode. Go to standard mode. Its going to go to the highest gear it can and not lug the engine.
I've noticed the same lugging in Eco Mode around town so only use for freeway driving.

Question: Is the highest gear in Standard Mode the same as Eco Mode but the difference is Eco Mode holds that gear longer requiring more throttle to downshift?

Question: Is the highest gear in Standard Mode the same as Eco Mode but the difference is Eco Mode holds that gear longer requiring more throttle to downshift?

I believe that to be correct.

Same thing. Like mentioned, it just requires more throttle input (as in %) to initiate a downshift.

Sport mode is the only thing to make driving this car livable, but defaults back to normal (the not good mode) when you shut the car off.

Yeah...what an awesome sophisticated machine that requires planning and executing your driving around the numerous lags and quirks in the drivetrain.
I can see how you would like the 4 cylinder. It's powerful, quiet, and efficient. What it can't accomplish yet is the refinement that many people seek at this price point and nature of vehicle.
Also, forget it if you're driving in ECO smh

Yeah...what an awesome sophisticated machine that requires planning and executing your driving around the numerous lags and quirks in the drivetrain.
I can see how you would like the 4 cylinder. It's powerful, quiet, and efficient. What it can't accomplish yet is the refinement that many people seek at this price point and nature of vehicle.
Also, forget it if you're driving in ECO smh

The 4cyl isn't quiet though. It has a rental car sound. As quiet as the interior is during most commute speeds, the engine noise very well makes it through so that's pretty much all you hear. You can hear more engine noise than road/tire noise. If it was a V6 sound it wouldn't be bad. But let's face it, 4cyl's don't sound good at all.

The transmission is still very bad. And yes i agree on the quality for the price point. My brother just got a stinger. A KIA. Slightly cheaper than my EX at MSRP. His build quality and performance shuts down my EX by miles.

The 4cyl isn't quiet though. It has a rental car sound. As quiet as the interior is during most commute speeds, the engine noise very well makes it through so that's pretty much all you hear. You can hear more engine noise than road/tire noise. If it was a V6 sound it wouldn't be bad. But let's face it, 4cyl's don't sound good at all.

The transmission is still very bad. And yes i agree on the quality for the price point. My brother just got a stinger. A KIA. Slightly cheaper than my EX at MSRP. His build quality and performance shuts down my EX by miles.

I had a 400 hp sr20det and my own ej257 turbo sound awesome, some 4 cylinders can sound mean if done right. The SAP equipment Explorers have quad tail pipes, does that make a difference in sound? The 10 speed in the Explorer is great if you want to feel jerky shifts then get the 3.5 f150 ecoboost in sport mode and take off. The 10 speed in the explorer is awesome compared to that.

I had a 400 hp sr20det and my own ej257 turbo sound awesome, some 4 cylinders can sound mean if done right. The SAP equipment Explorers have quad tail pipes, does that make a difference in sound? The 10 speed in the Explorer is great if you want to feel jerky shifts then get the 3.5 f150 ecoboost in sport mode and take off. The 10 speed in the explorer is awesome compared to that.

I agree. But sounding mean and sounding good are 2 different things. I've had turbo civics before. I had wrx's before. I know it's all opinionated but in general, 4cyl's do not sound good. A 6cyl sound would be more pleasant but even then, i've heard some 6cyl noise that was annoying (think of nissan Z cars).

When i briefly drove a '21 last month around the dealership, it sounded and acted NO DIFFERENT than my '20. Granted i didn't take it out on public roads to really test it out, just upon that brief 5-8 minute drive, the driving characteristics in that regard between my 20 and that '21 is exactly the same. Exactly. The rocking of the car when you're switching from R to D, or D to R etc. The inconsistent braking modulation. I wanted the '21 to act completely different to give me hope on getting into another lease when this one is over. Perhaps a '22 will finally be better? Who knows. I lost interest.

I agree. But sounding mean and sounding good are 2 different things. I've had turbo civics before. I had wrx's before. I know it's all opinionated but in general, 4cyl's do not sound good. A 6cyl sound would be more pleasant but even then, i've heard some 6cyl noise that was annoying (think of nissan Z cars).

When i briefly drove a '21 last month around the dealership, it sounded and acted NO DIFFERENT than my '20. Granted i didn't take it out on public roads to really test it out, just upon that brief 5-8 minute drive, the driving characteristics in that regard between my 20 and that '21 is exactly the same. Exactly. The rocking of the car when you're switching from R to D, or D to R etc. The inconsistent braking modulation. I wanted the '21 to act completely different to give me hope on getting into another lease when this one is over. Perhaps a '22 will finally be better? Who knows. I lost interest.

I too have experienced the rocking back and forth from the transmission but I attribute that to the select o switch transmission dial and not the transmission itself. Do you have 18 inch wheel package? For we have not experienced any of the brake issues that you state and our 21 with SAP XLT sounds good for a 4 cylinder. The best sounding engines are of course v8s and the inline 6s (being harmonically balanced) sound great as well. You realize that most of Ford's new v6 eco boost motors use fake engine/ exhaust sounds and sound more like pissed off bumble bees.

Ford makes base models on each model with stripped down parts, and the optional packages add sound deadening and features. Not sure but our infinite blue XLT with sports appearance package besides a seat issue has been flawless so far. I would really like to get a Bronco at some point but can not talk the wife into dumping the Explorer for one. I would more than likely take the 2.7 liter v6 in that configuration. With truck trade in values like they are right now it is very very tempting. Sorry you have these issues with yours but I am sure Ford will improve them at some point.

Ford is making some very great products at the moment and are on the cutting edge as far as innovation and what customers want.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too have experienced the rocking back and forth from the transmission but I attribute that to the select o switch transmission dial and not the transmission itself. Do you have 18 inch wheel package? For we have not experienced any of the brake issues that you state and our 21 with SAP XLT sounds good for a 4 cylinder. The best sounding engines are of course v8s and the inline 6s (being harmonically balanced) sound great as well. You realize that most of Ford's new v6 eco boost motors use fake engine/ exhaust sounds and sound more like pissed off bumble bees.

Ford makes base models on each model with stripped down parts, and the optional packages add sound deadening and features. Not sure but our infinite blue XLT with sports appearance package besides a seat issue has been flawless so far. I would really like to get a Bronco at some point but can not talk the wife into dumping the Explorer for one. I would more than likely take the 2.7 liter v6 in that configuration. With truck trade in values like they are right now it is very very tempting. Sorry you have these issues with yours but I am sure Ford will improve them at some point.

Ford is making some very great products at the moment and are on the cutting edge as far as innovation and what customers want.

There are many other bad habits with the transmission than the rocking itself. The rocking is just part of it. I have an almost fully loaded XLT, with the 20" wheel package. I don't have brake issues, in the sense that the brakes DO work. I am commenting on the brake modulation. Meaning you apply 25% brake pressure and as you're slowing down, using that same pressure, the car will seem like it's applying 75% before you come to an immediate stop. Pair that fault with how bad our 10 speed trans downshifts, and city driving becomes horrendous.

Lots of car makers use pumped in audio. BMW does this, my brother's stinger has pumped in audio. What you hear in that regard vs what sound it actually produces are 2 different things again. Interpretation and the actual truth are important in these cases. A 4cyl sound in an EX doesn't sound good from the inside, and surely doesn't sound good on the outside. Just do a cold start on your EX with the remote and hear how awful it sounds. It sounds like a rental car. A quick 10 second search on this forum will have 90% of XLT owners co-signing to this.

This thread is proof of some of of the faults of these explorers. I totally get it if you don't have issues or maybe in slight denial to admit them because you do like your explorer a lot. I get it and i respect that. But it seems that when people post issues, everyone is quickly to defend them as it doesn't exist.

If your explorer doesn't have issues, then consider yourself lucky. You're in the small percentage that has an annoyance free explorer. While the others, are in that bigger percentage.

Back