Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would love to see another poll on transmission issues comparing the 2.3 to the 3.0.

There is not going to be one because 99 percent of the ST 3.0 owners have no issues with transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would love to see another poll on transmission issues comparing the 2.3 to the 3.0.

You can start a new thread with a poll. I can understand wanting to break it down.

The poll seems to tell a lot...and since most owners have the 2.3l...

There is not going to be one because 99 percent of the ST 3.0 owners have no issues with transmission.

Let's do the poll. I have an ST. My 1-2 and 2-3 shifts kind of lurch into gear for me, except when applying very light throttle. Tune helps but it's not gone. Seems less noticeable in sport mode and when manual shifting. Mine is a very early build (6/19). Already had the PCM (and other modules) updated to current calibration. It was actually worse when I got it but trans learning has helped. I still would not call it smooth and what I find in the other cars I own (Q5, Miata). Dealer says it's shifting normally. I read with interest other threads re: transmission and you do have people complaining about it in other STs. Some have legitimate problems that need fixing though so I can't separate what is bad tuning and what is a defective transmission. I don't feel mine is defective because in every other respect, it performs as it should. When others are saying their transmission is perfect, I don't know if their's are really better, their driving style is different, or they come from past Fords and it feels "normal" for them. My previous 2015 BMW X1 was lurchy in the low shifts also but was completely transformed with aftermarket transmission tuning.

You can start a new thread with a poll. I can understand wanting to break it down.
Then we can start one on the Aviator vs Explorer 3.0 and 2.3. :D

Peter

Then we can start one on the Aviator vs Explorer 3.0 and 2.3. :D

Peter

If you feel the need.

The computers are different between the various models. Ford definitely has an issue with making computers reliable. In my mind that goes back to 2011 with the botched introduction of MFT which took at least three years to sort out. It would not be hard to imagine that the code that controls the 2.3's 10 speed is botched.

Yeah...what an awesome sophisticated machine that requires planning and executing your driving around the numerous lags and quirks in the drivetrain.
It is no different than any other vehicle. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. The big issues with turbos are they tend to lag if floored. If you press the gas more "slowly" the Ecoboosts tend to take off quickly. Comparing the two ways, slamming the gas down and more slowly the difference in time to reach the floor for me was less than 2 seconds. It's a quirk with turbos that is almost impossible to get rid of. Once you figure it out you can make the cars go as well or better than a normally aspirated one.

issues with turbos

I’m pretty impressed that they get 300 horsepower & ft-lbs of torque out of a piddly little four cylinder, not that I know a lot about it. But I bet this makes a big difference in how it feels when the turbo spins up. I’m used to a clunky manual truck so I think this is pretty smooth. Might be interesting to hook up a scan tool and watch boost, g force, gear etc.

The 2.3 liter is vastly de tuned to make a lot less power than its potential. Hopefully COBB will resolve this soon. Cobb makes tunes for the Focus RS which can make 400 hp fairly easily. I think the potenital for the Explorer would be 360ish reliable HP without much effort. The regular tune probably would help with the shift points as well.

Registered just to reply to this thread - What a mess my wife's XLT has been. Bought in March 2020, it's been in twice for tranmission issues. First time was in November 2020, rough shifts, jerking, the usual. Replaced the transmission hose, had it a few days. Bit of a pain but not a huge issue.

This time I bring it to the dealer June 14th, he says the service department is slammed, bring it back Friday. So I do, someone drives it around the parking lot and it does the jerking and hard shifting. "It's the transmission pump, I'll order one". It's on backorder, so 3 weeks later we are told it is in, a week after that they have a spot available, which sucks but at least my wife will be able to go on her work trip that evening. Drop it off at 7:30 per instructions, call at 3pm "Yeah everything will be ready for 5pm, no worries". I get a text at 4:30 telling me the clutch is burnt.

They don't have a clutch. Ford doesn't have a clutch. These hunk of crap transmissions are burning clutches up so much it's going to take another month to come in. Ford can't build many vehicles right now due to the microchip shortage, but somehow has burnt through their backlog of clutches.

No loaner because "we don't have any new cars to loan" despite having plenty to sell on their website. We've been driving my 2013 Elantra around for the last month and I've got a 2 and 7 year old. We both work, it's a clown show. I can't even lemon law the POS because it's worth 8k more than I paid for it, and since I'll have to buy another vehicle at these insane market prices, I can't afford to get back my purchase price when buying a similar vehicle would cost me an extra $10,000 and don't trust another Ford.

If you haven't had issues, I'm happy with you, but despite all it's good features it's been unreliable and Ford dealers/service as been a joke and I'm paying monthly for a vehicle I can't use. I've asked the dealership to buy me out but I'm guessing they're going to low ball me, so I'm going to have to rent a car now that my wife teacher is gearing back up for work for 3 weeks just to sell the thing the minute I get it back. The warrant isn't worth the paper it's written on if the dealership doesn't staff appropriately, have loaners, and Ford doesn't make enough parts to repair all their faulty transmissions.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry to read about your situation.
This is one reason I lease my vehicles. If it turns out to be a "lemon". I'm not stuck with it for longer than the lease term. So far I've not had issues with any of my leases. An ESP with 1st-day rental is a good idea especially with all the tranny issues some members are having. With an ESP you can also be reimbursed for rental costs. Ford has never provided rentals but may on some occasions approve one. Here is an excerpt from the Guide which applies to the factory warranty.
"Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel, telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or consequential damages you may have."

Peter

Registered just to reply to this thread - What a mess my wife's XLT has been. Bought in March 2020, it's been in twice for tranmission issues. First time was in November 2020, rough shifts, jerking, the usual. Replaced the transmission hose, had it a few days. Bit of a pain but not a huge issue.

This time I bring it to the dealer June 14th, he says the service department is slammed, bring it back Friday. So I do, someone drives it around the parking lot and it does the jerking and hard shifting. "It's the transmission pump, I'll order one". It's on backorder, so 3 weeks later we are told it is in, a week after that they have a spot available, which sucks but at least my wife will be able to go on her work trip that evening. Drop it off at 7:30 per instructions, call at 3pm "Yeah everything will be ready for 5pm, no worries". I get a text at 4:30 telling me the clutch is burnt.

They don't have a clutch. Ford doesn't have a clutch. These hunk of crap transmissions are burning clutches up so much it's going to take another month to come in. Ford can't build many vehicles right now due to the microchip shortage, but somehow has burnt through their backlog of clutches.

No loaner because "we don't have any new cars to loan" despite having plenty to sell on their website. We've been driving my 2013 Elantra around for the last month and I've got a 2 and 7 year old. We both work, it's a clown show. I can't even lemon law the POS because it's worth 8k more than I paid for it, and since I'll have to buy another vehicle at these insane market prices, I can't afford to get back my purchase price when buying a similar vehicle would cost me an extra $10,000 and don't trust another Ford.

If you haven't had issues, I'm happy with you, but despite all it's good features it's been unreliable and Ford dealers/service as been a joke and I'm paying monthly for a vehicle I can't use. I've asked the dealership to buy me out but I'm guessing they're going to low ball me, so I'm going to have to rent a car now that my wife teacher is gearing back up for work for 3 weeks just to sell the thing the minute I get it back. The warrant isn't worth the paper it's written on if the dealership doesn't staff appropriately, have loaners, and Ford doesn't make enough parts to repair all their faulty transmissions.

Welcome, and I am also sorry for your troubles. The clutches or any trans parts should not be a viable excuse to say they don't have them. The parts should be available elsewhere, but they undoubtedly are falling back on liability, to their OEM parts requirement(from themselves as the source), to suggest no parts are available. That's a terrible excuse, and the warrantee is part of the problem(you paid for it so they will enforce its requirements). That's why I dislike new cars, the limitations put on you the owner. An ESP plan is a good option only if the vehicle does have big problems, but you wouldn't(shouldn't have to) buy an ESP if you knew it was a lemon etc.

I gather the 6R and 10R share many internal parts, and the cases are virtually identical in sizes. I would bet there are plenty of clutches to be had, if they would accept them to fix the problem with their vehicle. I hope things work out okay for you and the family eventually. Regards,

I highly doubt they manufacture their own clutches.

Welcome, and I am also sorry for your troubles. The clutches or any trans parts should not be a viable excuse to say they don't have them. The parts should be available elsewhere, but they undoubtedly are falling back on liability, to their OEM parts requirement(from themselves as the source), to suggest no parts are available. That's a terrible excuse, and the warrantee is part of the problem(you paid for it so they will enforce its requirements). That's why I dislike new cars, the limitations put on you the owner. An ESP plan is a good option only if the vehicle does have big problems, but you wouldn't(shouldn't have to) buy an ESP if you knew it was a lemon etc.

I gather the 6R and 10R share many internal parts, and the cases are virtually identical in sizes. I would bet there are plenty of clutches to be had, if they would accept them to fix the problem with their vehicle. I hope things work out okay for you and the family eventually. Regards,
Thanks, sadly I called around and no one had anything in stock locally, and Ford Corporates response was "We can't do anything to speed up the parts, 95% of my phone calls are about transmission issues and parts being on backorder". It just frustrates me that the dealership figured the issue was a bad transmission oil pump, but didn't think "which would lead to a burnt clutch".

I just want out at this point, I've been fortunate with vehicles in the past but have never bought something domestic since my 89 Cadillac Deville in high school. Definitely has left me wanting an import for a replacement (I'd love a Tahoe, but the prices currently are nuts on them).

Thanks, sadly I called around and no one had anything in stock locally, and Ford Corporates response was "We can't do anything to speed up the parts, 95% of my phone calls are about transmission issues and parts being on backorder". It just frustrates me that the dealership figured the issue was a bad transmission oil pump, but didn't think "which would lead to a burnt clutch".

I just want out at this point, I've been fortunate with vehicles in the past but have never bought something domestic since my 89 Cadillac Deville in high school. Definitely has left me wanting an import for a replacement (I'd love a Tahoe, but the prices currently are nuts on them).

I know what you are talking about, used vehicles especially 18s up are bringing crazy money now. That sucks about your Explorer but your dealer should be able to see what is out there and get parts. They are saying it could be another 6-12 months before supply issues are fixed. I think it will be longer than that as they can not meet just normal online orders right now.

Sell the Explorer to some other sap at a premium and just buy a beater to use until the prices come down.

Sell the Explorer to some other sap at a premium and just buy a beater to use until the prices come down.
Sadly, the industry, following Toyota’s lead, went to J-I-T (just in time inventory) years ago. They have little to nothing on hand. When the pandemic hit, they all canceled many orders with suppliers anticipating a sharp drop in demand. Since parts are sourced all over the world, items in the the “pipeline” continued for a few months. Once the suppliers shut down, the parts were not being made to keep the pipeline moving. Then when the industry started back, the suppliers had to gear back up with materials and labor, restart and begin making parts again. And the suppliers do not make all the components that go into their product. So they have to wait on their suppliers. So say Ford orders transmission shifters from a company in Taiwan. The Taiwan company sources the components from 3 companies, one in Indonesia, one in India and one in Korea. They then place orders with these suppliers and have to wait on them to source their materials, make the components and ship them to Taiwan. Taiwan company assembles the shifter, ships it (after a wait to clear customs), it rides a boat to the US, where it has to again clear customs at the port of entry, then gets shipped from the port to Ford. Months have elapsed from order to delivery. So in this example of the clutches, who knows where the clutches are made. And I expect Ford prioritizes the incoming parts to keep factories running, limiting service replacement parts. It sucks, but that is the business model the auto companies have adopted. Our organization once owned a company in the US that makes aluminum die cast products. We learned to despise the auto industry, especially Honda. J-I-T for the auto companies meant that we had to stock it, not them.

On top of this, the auto companies have not assembled the greatest dealership network. The closest Ford dealer to me has overpriced, horrible service. I take my vehicles to a dealership in another town.

Don’t expect GM to be better. My best friend recently bought his granddaughter a new Malibu. It has spent more time at the dealership than with her, with no solution in sight.

Sorry for your situation, hope it gets resolved soon

Sadly, the industry, following Toyota’s lead, went to J-I-T (just in time inventory) years ago. They have little to nothing on hand. When the pandemic hit, they all canceled many orders with suppliers anticipating a sharp drop in demand. Since parts are sourced all over the world, items in the the “pipeline” continued for a few months. Once the suppliers shut down, the parts were not being made to keep the pipeline moving. Then when the industry started back, the suppliers had to gear back up with materials and labor, restart and begin making parts again. And the suppliers do not make all the components that go into their product. So they have to wait on their suppliers. So say Ford orders transmission shifters from a company in Taiwan. The Taiwan company sources the components from 3 companies, one in Indonesia, one in India and one in Korea. They then place orders with these suppliers and have to wait on them to source their materials, make the components and ship them to Taiwan. Taiwan company assembles the shifter, ships it (after a wait to clear customs), it rides a boat to the US, where it has to again clear customs at the port of entry, then gets shipped from the port to Ford. Months have elapsed from order to delivery. So in this example of the clutches, who knows where the clutches are made. And I expect Ford prioritizes the incoming parts to keep factories running, limiting service replacement parts. It sucks, but that is the business model the auto companies have adopted. Our organization once owned a company in the US that makes aluminum die cast products. We learned to despise the auto industry, especially Honda. J-I-T for the auto companies meant that we had to stock it, not them.

On top of this, the auto companies have not assembled the greatest dealership network. The closest Ford dealer to me has overpriced, horrible service. I take my vehicles to a dealership in another town.

Don’t expect GM to be better. My best friend recently bought his granddaughter a new Malibu. It has spent more time at the dealership than with her, with no solution in sight.

Sorry for your situation, hope it gets resolved soon
I understand the shortage issue. It’ll eventually go back to normal, or else the secondary manufacturers like Kia will start selling vehicles so much cheaper no one will be able to sell anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back