Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There are many other bad habits with the transmission than the rocking itself. The rocking is just part of it. I have an almost fully loaded XLT, with the 20" wheel package. I don't have brake issues, in the sense that the brakes DO work. I am commenting on the brake modulation. Meaning you apply 25% brake pressure and as you're slowing down, using that same pressure, the car will seem like it's applying 75% before you come to an immediate stop. Pair that fault with how bad our 10 speed trans downshifts, and city driving becomes horrendous.

Lots of car makers use pumped in audio. BMW does this, my brother's stinger has pumped in audio. What you hear in that regard vs what sound it actually produces are 2 different things again. Interpretation and the actual truth are important in these cases. A 4cyl sound in an EX doesn't sound good from the inside, and surely doesn't sound good on the outside. Just do a cold start on your EX with the remote and hear how awful it sounds. It sounds like a rental car. A quick 10 second search on this forum will have 90% of XLT owners co-signing to this.

This thread is proof of some of of the faults of these explorers. I totally get it if you don't have issues or maybe in slight denial to admit them because you do like your explorer a lot. I get it and i respect that. But it seems that when people post issues, everyone is quickly to defend them as it doesn't exist.

If your explorer doesn't have issues, then consider yourself lucky. You're in the small percentage that has an annoyance free explorer. While the others, are in that bigger percentage.

The most vocal ones are the ones who let their experiences be known, not an example of the overall satisfaction of the vehicle. As most Explorer owners will not be posting on a message forum. Ford sells a crap ton of these things so your experience is probably not a cross section of the typical owner. When we took delivery the fit and finish wasn't that great as some plastic trim pieces where not fitted correctly and had to be adjusted by me. I got a free 10 year unlimited mileage warranty on my STI from the perceived head gasket/ oil consumption problem. I have owned 2 of these vehicles but thank you for the free warranty that I will never use because I don't modify the vehicle and drive it like it suppose to be driven.

If you are the one who said they will be getting a Tesla then more power to you, as they make no sound at all and sound like a golf cart that you drive on the street. Ford plans to have 40 percent of their line up electric by 2030 so you should be able to find some excellent Ford EV choices as that time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trans shifting leaves a lot to be desired for sure. Coming from only cars, it is by far the most ungainly shifting I've come across. I've never owned a truck but I can only imagine it's like that. A tune helps a lot with the shfiting, especially when driving aggressively and manual shfiting, but for day to day driving in auto and normal mode, it is still not refined like my wife's 2021 Audi Q5. Not even close.

The most vocal ones are the ones who let their experiences be known, not an example of the overall satisfaction of the vehicle. As most Explorer owners will not be posting on a message forum. Ford sells a crap ton of these things so your experience is probably not a cross section of the typical owner. When we took delivery the fit and finish wasn't that great as some plastic trim pieces where not fitted correctly and had to be adjusted by me. I got a free 10 year unlimited mileage warranty on my STI from the perceived head gasket/ oil consumption problem. I have owned 2 of these vehicles but thank you for the free warranty that I will never use because I don't modify the vehicle and drive it like it suppose to be driven.

If you are the one who said they will be getting a Tesla then more power to you, as they make no sound at all and sound like a golf cart that you drive on the street. Ford plans to have 40 percent of their line up electric by 2030 so you should be able to find some excellent Ford EV choices as that time.

But by that logic, there could be MORE owners with said issues that don't even know a forum like this exists or care to even try to find a forum to express their opinions on their ownership.

My point was that this thread's title is dissatisfied with the 10 speed. Meaning people with issues, annoyances will come here to post. Why would there be members posting that DO NOT have issues? That's why i was saying it seems that when people post an issue, a person who doesn't have issues will post and say, "well my 21 is fine here. Never had an issue. Ford makes great products". There is no need for a counter post on a problem related thread to post defending said problem.

The issues are here, most are experiencing it. There's no denying, or going around it. No one is saying 100% of ALL explorers have issues, we are commenting on who has the issue and what exactly is the issue. So we can all relate to it, see if there's any way to resolve it, how we're dealing with it, expressing our feelings. That's it.

And yes i am getting a tesla when this lease is over. Already made up my mind. It's totally understandable how you feel about electric cars. I felt the same way about a year ago until half of my social group got teslas. So now i'm always around them. They're better than people think. And tesla releasing the 4680 battery cell and tesla being over the 800kw bracket puts them well above the rest. But this isn't about tesla or EV cars.

This is about the issues with the 10 speed in our explorers. And to sum it up, it's not good. Sorry but that's fact.

I read they’re using the same transmission(1060r?) in the new bronco. Curious to see if there is similar issues on that platform. Everything I read though here seems to happen on my 17 as well. Seems like it may be a tuning issue which is why those who are tuning their cars with aftermarket tunes are seeing improved results.

I read they’re using the same transmission(1060r?) in the new bronco. Curious to see if there is similar issues on that platform. Everything I read though here seems to happen on my 17 as well. Seems like it may be a tuning issue which is why those who are tuning their cars with aftermarket tunes are seeing improved results.

The 10 speed has been an issue across the range of ford products. Same thing with the mustangs (although moreso with the 2.3EB mustangs), so perhaps i think the issue is mainly with the tuning FOR the 2.3 engines. It's like the trans wasn't meant for that engine. Other engine variations have done better with the 10 speed but the issue is still there, by doing a simple google search.

Yes tuning does help, however you do that and say buh bye to your warranty.

My Aviator also has it and there have been no issues whatsoever. Shifts is so smooth I don't even notice them unless paying particular attention to them.

Peter

I just attached a poll to this thread. Scroll to the top to see it and add to it.

I just attached a poll to this thread. Scroll to the top to see it and add to it.

Yes thank you! A poll is perfect for this thread. Rather than people commenting on every post someone makes regarding their issue just to say they don't have issues. That defeats the purpose of the thread with that type of title name.

Not sure if you read the news but EV cars are coming and they're coming in HOT (no pun intended lol).

I don't know what's worse or more realistic to believe, my tesla melting if involved in an accident or me pulling out of a busy intersection in my explorer but somehow the trans was stuck in 2nd gear and i pull out and BAM, accident. I go to the hospital, hopefully not seriously hurt.

I mean ford should have gotten this right, they been around for like 100 years lol. Elon started this when? He's doing a remarkable job so far.

Is there a block button? Asking for a friend.

Not sure what you mean. :dunno:

Peter

I'm assuming he meant blocking me or the other guy who's posting. I wasn't the one who derailed the thread. This thread is about dissatisfaction towards the 10 speed. Not a comment defending the explorer every single time someone has negative feedback towards it.

Anyway i won't talk about tesla anymore, just so no one gets banned or this thread gets locked.

We need this thread open for good discussion :D

If that is what was meant, then, NO. Members are not able to block others but they can "unsubscribe" to a thread.

Peter

I would love to see another poll on transmission issues comparing the 2.3 to the 3.0.

I would love to see another poll on transmission issues comparing the 2.3 to the 3.0.

Yeah, what motor does @1sttimeexplorerowner have? If you want to see harsh jerk shifts then get in a F150 Raptor put it in sport mode and hold on. Those shifts hit hard, LOL. I love the Explorer on road trips it is so smooth and easy to drive. IMO, the 10 speed is tuned right on the Explorer and works good. Of course those having issues would disagree, and I am sure at some point Ford will put in an update for it.

So, I'm a new guy here. Fixing to get a King Ranch Explorer in the next couple of days as long as the wife likes the interior. I have an F150 Platinum 4X4 Powerboost with a 10 speed. I have had no issues with it. So far. I've experienced a momentary delay when it deciding how many gears to drop when accelerating but far from being dangerous. It always skips 2nd except towing or sport. My 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4 eTorque also got confused dropping gears at times. I'm not the least bit concerned about the trans.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You'll be the first one here with the King Ranch if you get it.:)

Peter

Yeah, what motor does @1sttimeexplorerowner have? If you want to see harsh jerk shifts then get in a F150 Raptor put it in sport mode and hold on. Those shifts hit hard, LOL. I love the Explorer on road trips it is so smooth and easy to drive. IMO, the 10 speed is tuned right on the Explorer and works good. Of course those having issues would disagree, and I am sure at some point Ford will put in an update for it.

I have the 2.3L. The engine is fine. The transmission isn't.

And i did briefly test drive a '21 a month ago during my time off, same exact thing. Exact. Same bad habits. And those bad habits come from driving under 40mph so i didn't even need to take out that '21 on the highway. Highway driving in my '20 is perfect. Very smooth, quiet and relaxing. Once i get back in town, it is probably one of the worst driving cars i ever had.

I been in cars with tuned trans before. My friend works for iveytune. I know what it's like to be in a performance car with those snap shifts. The ZF 8 speed quipped cars are lightyears ahead of this 10 speed.

Yep, and you will love the Explorer for cruising a lot more than the F150, I am on my 3rd.

Platinum is very nice, only thing I do not really like about the Raptor is the absent of Massaging seats. I guess they have to add some features into the Platinum to make it a Platinum.

That is crazy about the 2.3 liter as our is buttery smooth can not feel it shifting at lower speeds and it is just so smooth. Of course I think the 20s and SAP help. I would maybe try to run a tank of 93 octane through the 20 XLT and then leave the battery disconnected for an hour or so to reset the transmission control module. This will make the vehicle relearn your shifting points and patterns.

That is crazy that you are having these issues with it, maybe you just got an early first run model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Already did the battery disconnect. Nothing. Maybe an update will fix it. But when i called the dealer, no recalls, and nothing available for my VIN that needs any updating. That what was told to me by the dealer.

My build was april 2020. So not an early build. In fact, IIRC, i think my build is 1-2 months AFTER all the issues.

And again, the '21 i test drove had the same bad driving characteristics.

My neighbor has a 20 XLT F150. He uses it for plumbing. His is much better.

I only use shell 93 vpower.

Back