Why are these so cheap now? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why are these so cheap now?

This reminds me - guys can you direct me

my engine light was/is on. So, I stopped at Autozone and he got the code; it's free and I guess just the same as anywhere else. When he entered the code in the computer it told me: A) that my fuel cap is not sealing properly (so buy a cap), B) Something having to do with recycling air box he said is in the back left of where the spare tire is ???, or 3) by recollection the sensors in the exhaust

Now, it rolls down the road and the budget's been TIGHT so I havent done anything. If (A) I buy a fuel cap and it's not it, what's the option to remove and not replace this charcoal filter box thing he's talking about?

Twenty years ago, I used to work on twenty year old cars and it was simple to remove & simplify a car/truck from the 60s-70s BUT what can we/I do with the Explorer to simplify???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my engine light was/is on. So, I stopped at Autozone and he got the code; it's free and I guess just the same as anywhere else. When he entered the code in the computer it told me: A) that my fuel cap is not sealing properly (so buy a cap), B) Something having to do with recycling air box he said is in the back left of where the spare tire is ???, or 3) by recollection the sensors in the exhaust

Now, it rolls down the road and the budget's been TIGHT so I havent done anything. If (A) I buy a fuel cap and it's not it, what's the option to remove and not replace this charcoal filter box thing he's talking about?

Twenty years ago, I used to work on twenty year old cars and it was simple to remove & simplify a car/truck from the 60s-70s BUT what can we/I do with the Explorer to simplify???

Your problem is that you have a leak somewhere in the evaporation system. That might be a bad fuel cap, but there are many other pieces to the evap system where you can have a leak. Check Engine Light codes are helpful in identifying a problem, but they can rarely be taken on face valve. Sometimes the fuel filler pipe rusts where it connects to the rubber line to the fuel tank. Tiny pin holes in this pipe can be the source of a vacuum leak. Your fuel tank has a sensor that monitors for proper vacuum. Then there's a line that goes to a evap canister over the spare tire then a hose that goes back to the engine compartment. Under the battery there's a connection and a purge solenoid and finally a connection to the intake. A leak anywhere in this system will cause the CEL to come on. If you want to find the true problem, start at the tank and work forward. FYI, once the problem is found and corrected, it can take many drive cycles for the CEL to go off, unless the code is erased.

Yes, life was simpler before cars had all these emission controls, but the air we breath was much dirtier.

what's pissing me off is now the gas prices are down the state and federal government is talking about raising the tax on fuel, and not by just a few cents. then the gas prices will go back up (because who the hell knows what/who actually controls the price) and we'll really be screwed. crap, the stinking government hates to see us get a break! that's probably the reason that the prices are down right now.

The government needs income to operate, and they either will get it from income taxes or fuel taxes (let's just compare these two for simplicity). It's a no-brainer that a fuel tax is a better way to raise money than income tax.

A tax on anything means people will do less of it. Income tax reduces the incentive to work, stunting productivity. Fuel tax reduces fuel consumption, not a bad thing.

IMO, they should have a variable fuel tax that keeps fuel prices steady. It would help new technologies develop because it would remove a lot of the risk. It's really risky to spend money developing a new battery technology for a car when you don't know how much fuel will cost when it's ready, and therefore how much demand there will be for the new technology.

Anyway, regarding the OP: Explorers are no longer "cool" and they certainly aren't yet collectible, hence their low price. They also had a bad reputation due to the firestone tire issues, rollover incidents, and poor reliability of the 4.0 SOHC and 5R55E.

If you avoid the 4.0 SOHC and 5R55E, you can get a really well-built truck for almost no money, since the bad reputation lowers the resale value for ALL Explorers. 302-powered models are probably the best buys and make for excellent utility vehicles since they can haul or tow a lot of weight (it's a V8 truck, after all) and are extremely durable.

Get to the end of it when it comes to gas prices - get a motorcycle or scooter

My Honda was $300 3 years ago because someone needed rent $. With some few cheep mods, my Honda's around 100mpg. Not the fastest but I live in flat KY

things break but you dont have to buy a second time

Good idea but in an old truck everyday something different breaks.

PA- you're right, things will break, BUT if you have the vehicle long enough, given it's not rust eaten, you will get ahead.

In my current ride, brakes, rotors, shocks, thermostat, wires, end link bushings, sway bushings, and ball joints... I'm sure there's other stuff but I dont have to pay for these things anymore. I cant find any rust thus far and that works for me - that's all Im sayin

Back