Why does everyone leave fiberglass unpainted?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why does everyone leave fiberglass unpainted??

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Ok guys I am wondering after looking at so many pics of the fiberglass fenders a lot have added to their Ex's, Why don't you guys paint them?? I know Rick has but that is the only one I have seen painted.

I mean heck wouldn't even some primer be better than the white or am I missing something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

M-O-N-E-Y

T-I-M-E

You can pick up a can of Dupli-Color for about $5 at Pepboys or AutoZone.

I know that was what I was thinking. Money An time just seems like a poor excuse.

The way I see it, trucks with those fenders are usually in a middle of a project and they would rather wait and do the painting last.

It kinda reminds me of hondas that have unpainted body kits haha.

haha. John and coolchriscrush have them painted. there's only like 3 ppl on here that i know of that have not painted them. all a mater of time!

I keep having problems with the paint flaking off my EE front airdam. So I've taken it off for now. If someone knows how to keep paint on fiberglass I'd like to know how.

RESEARCH TIME AND $$$$$$$$

I have my fenders installed. I cannot paint them until:
I remove them and prepare them
I need to have paint matched to my truck (paint is 4 years old, if you just use the same color it will be way off...)

I finish the other projects first.

sure i could rattle can them, then do it all over again later, but thats just more work, and are looks more important then function on a truck like mine? nope...

heres a good how too:

http:rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/55361

Yes, I did rattle can mine and the paint did come off. However, then I did a much better job with sanding, priming, sanding, painting, etc. And it's been great since. No, it doesn't look like a professional job; but it works for me!

IMAG0007.JPG

TRY THAT WITH METALLIC isle of capri blue...it wont even be close!!!! Personally I will wait till i can do it up right.....

Well now that's what I'm talking about, the looks really don't matter as 410 said. And Alec did exactly what I would do, not professional paint job, but I didn't even know he had fiberglass fenders until now. I can spot the white ones. Good job Alec.

Edit: Awww 410 you screwed up my post. Well I do agree a metallic would be tough to make anything else look close.

:D

Sand rough, sand smoother, primer x 2, sand smoother, paint x 2, a few days, paint x1, clearcoat x 2, wax.

Thats one sexy Ex you got there Alec. Have you ever considered tinting the tails like hartman?

I spray painted my fiberglass duen buggy and it is holding up fine.

Painting fiberglass can always get tricky. I have seen many "professional" paint jobs on plastic that didn't last too long. To do it right means perfectly matching flexible primers and paints to the exact flexibility of the particular piece of glass. A lot of pros can do it and do it well, but it is done based on judgement from experience, and everyone makes mistakes from time to time.

It would be interesting to hear from someone like Rick or FenderGuy to see how their's have held up over time...........

Originally posted by Silverblade
Thats one sexy Ex you got there Alec. Have you ever considered tinting the tails like hartman?

Thought about it briefly, but I want as much visibility as possible for safety reasons.

I am planning to paint them myself.
I think you will find that most times when the glass is finally installed it is a part of many other projects and always followed up with some larger tires...in my case i have redone just about everything on my truck in the last couple months, the front suspension, 33's, and fiberglass were part of a 10 month plan :)
I actually had the tires and glass in storage until I could find the time and get some help building the new front lift...I may have had them painted by now if it wasnt for the need to repair the transmiision (read big job) and then the engine (read replace) and several other unexpected "adjustments" :)

The white sticks out like a sore thumb! fittin the fenders can be quite the process in itself and you dont want to screw up your new paint so its best to mount, remove, then paint..

My truck will need another REAL paint job in the next few years since the $2500 MAACO fiasco.....everything they did must be re-done. their pain and clear coat was not so bad but I learned real quick not to trust the bodywork, prep work, and that you get what you pay for. To do it right all the glass and trim need to be removed, at least on a BII, so one of the final stage of the trucks buildup (dont be fooled it will never be done:) will be a do it yourself crash course in paint and body.....

Of course all that has to wait since I still have 3 wheel drive, (custom axleshaft is here, need to install) tthe rear needs to go up 2 more " etc etc etc.....

Originally posted by 410Fortune
...fittin the fenders can be quite the process in itself and you dont want to screw up your new paint so its best to mount, remove, then paint...

You answered my question. When I get my fenders, I'm going toget them professionally painted, as I have that lovely metallic green paint. Dupli-Color isn't an option for me. Plus, if I get a good paint job with a warranty, I'll just get them to redo it if it peels. That way they are more likely to do it right the first time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you guys and your "make sure the 4x4 is pretty" attitude. ill never understand it... :D

me personally, id rattle can the rest of the truck white to match the fenders. :p

Back