Why does everyone leave fiberglass unpainted?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why does everyone leave fiberglass unpainted??

Mine are white and are going to stay white until I'm done with everything else and I start showing it.

I don't see the point in painting them when I go out every weekend wheelin' the piss out of it. Plus I roll it and I'm out $150 for a new fender. I paint it then I'm out $250-$300. Easy choice.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Tin" metal front fenders from local body supplier or jcwhitney: $50 (x2) + s&h
SawZall Blade: $2.50
Rustoleum Primer: $3.99
Rustoleum Paint: $3.99
Hammer-type dent puller: $15

Custom front fenders primed and painted total (with repair kit): +/- $175

Can someone explain to me the advantage of glass fenders? Seems to me that they are expensive to buy, hard to paint, and too wide.

Originally posted by clarkkent
I drive through town all the time and people are like "hey its that Mountaineer with fenders! that guy is cool!"
I think they say that...

Nice little Wishfull thinking there Superman. :D

Perry's has second gen rear fenders.

As for the cost comparison, my cutting job on my stock fenders turned out really crappy. I did try that before shelling out for the Perry's.

And Robb you can't tell me mine look bad!

Can someone explain to me the advantage of glass fenders? Seems to me that they are expensive to buy, hard to paint, and too wide.

I've beat the crap out if them and they just bounce back. Metal you have to keep fixing.

Picture of rear glass that took a hit from same rock that dented the metal.

Dent:

Attachments

• 6-damagemetal.jpg
    6-damagemetal.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 129

run big tires, have travel, with the least amount of lift, and still be street legal.

I'm gonna get a 4" lift for my truck, and I want to run 35's. The 'glass fenders will clear them, and cover them, with little triming, I probably won't do the rear fenders though. I want to have the most travel I can get, without getting too top heavy:D

Same rock on glass. The fender took an even bigger hit.

Attachments

• 7-damageglass.jpg
    7-damageglass.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 135

Within 2 days of getting my fenders on a stupid biker ran smack into one of them. The fender literally bounced back and just has a small chip. A metal fender would have been toast.

IMO, that fender paid for itself in the first week.

OK, I will buy the "dent resistance" argument. They will bounce back when metal will dent. But when the time comes that you REALLY hit that fender, a glass fender replacement is gonna cost you $150 ($200 if painted), while the metal one will cost about $75 painted.

I can understand the debate for both sides. I personally would rather beat up some cheapy metal ones.:D

Kent: I know they have the rears for the 2 door of those years, and I believe they have the 4 dorr as well. I'll be getting some eventually. Either call them or send them an e-mail. They are really good about getting back to you about questions.

thanks doc.. Yeh i bent my rear inner fender on my tire and it took a chunk outta my tire and I dont wanna keep doing that.. I'm getting my long travel in a couple months so i'll be getting the rear fenders for sure..

fiberglass repair is about 100 times easier than metal repair

Fiberglass looks cooler.
I also did a 5 minute hack job and BFH "clearance maker" on my stock fenders, they turned out okay but the fiberglass also gives me the rust proofing and extended tire coverage, my stance (front wheelbase) is 8" wider over stock, 7" from the wheels and 1" from the custom beams, the stock metal fenders = rooster tail water and mud, not only does this make it hard to clean, annoy other drivers but it also ruined the lower half of my paint job....

Flares are ugly, glass is aggresive looking to say the least, fitment can be an issue, especially with cheaper fenders.

Originally posted by 410Fortune
fiberglass repair is about 100 times easier than metal repair

Fiberglass looks cooler.
I also did a 5 minute hack job and BFH "clearance maker" on my stock fenders, they turned out okay but the fiberglass also gives me the rust proofing and extended tire coverage, my stance (front wheelbase) is 8" wider over stock, 7" from the wheels and 1" from the custom beams, the stock metal fenders = rooster tail water and mud, not only does this make it hard to clean, annoy other drivers but it also ruined the lower half of my paint job....

Flares are ugly, glass is aggresive looking to say the least, fitment can be an issue, especially with cheaper fenders.

I second that!!

Yes, technically I wouldn't be legal with the stock fenders as most states require coverage of tires and mine would stick out. My width is about 7" wider than stock.

Back