whys O/D indicator flashing........ | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whys O/D indicator flashing........

Try this...when driving around town turn off the overdrive, you won't need it under 50 anyways! When you get on the highway, turn on the overdrive, and it will engage. I have the same problem on my 99', and have been doing this for about 4 months with no issues. The TCC soleniod is getting old, and worn. So if you "manually" make it work, it works fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why do you guys even use the OD in the first place?

To increase gas mileage.

Mine started flashing yesterday on the way to my camping trip . When I got to the campground I simply unhooked the negative battery terminal overnight to reset the computer and it was fine the next day. Also it shifts fine at 150k and the tranny fluid is NOT burnt and hasn't been changed since 100k.

Hmmm... mine was flashing after a drive to the gas station. Never has flashed before. I shut it off at home, went inside, came back out to see if it would come on again if I started it. No. Went a drove around for a bit. Still no light.

Tranny fluid did not smell burnt, I guess. I am not sure how it should smell normal or burnt though.

If it's burnt it will look like motor oil. If it's in good shape it'll be pinkish red. Usually a computer reset is only a temporary fix.

A flashing OD light doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem with the OD. It could be caused by a bad, or out of adjustment intermediate band, VSS, solenoid, etc. It's always best to read the codes before assuming anything.

Right there with ya..mines sittin in the driveway, waiting for the next 3 paydays to buy a new trans...oh well mine had 200k+ miles on it..i cant complain. PS the funny thing was my o/d light flashed once, then about 15 minutes later, goin down the road at like 40, grindin and scrapin..then no more Explorer. :thumbdwn: :mad: :thumbdwn:

Back