whys O/D indicator flashing........ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whys O/D indicator flashing........

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT AWD 5.0
I have a 97 explorer xlt awd 5.0. its got 118k. i drive with o/d off. it first happened on the highway i got on with o/d off and reached 50mph and turned on o/d. i was driving 65mph for a few miles and the o/d light starts flashing. its been happening more often and just today driving around town with o/d off. if im in o/d at around 40mph or so the truck vibrates like the motors running too low of a tach. the speedo is failing to read also. thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the speedo is failing to read, then the Vehicle Speed Sensor is most likely at fault. Not only does it provide data for the speedometer, but it helps to tell the computer controlled transmission when to shift. Your O/D light is flashing beacuse the transmission is not getting speed data.

If you have an AWD truck, the VSS is in the transfer case tailshaft.

the vss. where is it? transfer case tailshaft? where is that? would it be in a haynes? i do have an awd. thanks

Yes, It would be in a haynes.

Your transfercase is the little box at the end of the transmission with one shaft going to the front of the truck and the other to the back. Its in the back portion of the transfercase.

i looked under there, according to the manual i have. i saw a sensor in the area the manual says at the end of the transmission it looks like. i was gonna replace that one, as far as i understand from the manual, thats the one.

alright, im gonna be changing the vehicle speed sensor today. just to clarify, its on the back end of the transmission...on a ......"cone shaped" dealie? where the driveshaft exits..? i looked in my book and got under there and it all looks the same(according to the pics) thanks for the help.

chickennuggets said:
alright, im gonna be changing the vehicle speed sensor today. just to clarify, its on the back end of the transmission...on a ......"cone shaped" dealie? where the driveshaft exits..? i looked in my book and got under there and it all looks the same(according to the pics) thanks for the help.

yes, that's correct.
It's held on by 2 bolts, and a metal bracket.

Great work , :thumbsup: my 1999 explorer had the same problem last week local ford dealer had no idea what the fault was I'll investigate it my self and stick it upmm
Thanks guys

O/D flashing indicates a code. You might want to get it scanned. It happened to me a while back, it was tranny time. Thank God for warranties! :D

Joe

noooooooo, no tranny.

i replacd the sensor yesterday, it was held on my one lock bolt. the new one was the same way. and, it solved my problem. the haynes manual i have says the sensor going bad can result numerous drivablilty and transmmission problems. well, it fixed the flashing 'o/d off' indicator and i drove to boston last night, cambridge, and the light never flashed and it seemed to be a bit more responsive.

good deal.
be glad it was the cheap fix :D :thumbsup:

Flashing O/D

Does it really mean I have to have the tranny rebuilt because the O/D is flashing? They want $1700 bucks to do that and this is just a regular ole automatic. I have been driving for a long time and there is no other indication that the tranny is bad. When it does flash I shut truck off and restart and it is fine. It usually happens while driving on the highway. Could there be something else to try before a rebuild? :confused:

You need to have the codes scanned. Restarting the truck everytime it happens isn't the answer. If the truck drives fine, and the fluid isn't burnt, it is likely something easy and affordable like a shift solenoid.

I have exactly the same problem than pokey, on a 99 4x4, 4.0 sohc, for more than a year, and the truck runs fine, but is it expensive to track and fix the solenoid?

It's more expensive to beat up your trans because it isn't working properly. I had to replace a solenoid in my last Explorer the last time the trans was rebuilt, and I think it was around $60. They dropped the trans pan for free since it had less than 12k since the rebuild. It shouldn't cost more than $150, and at the same time you get a new filter which you are probably scheduled for.

Flashing O/D

I had my truck in for new ball joints and asked them about the flashing O/D and they said they checked the codes and my tranny needs to be rebuilt. Will go somewhere else. My son is a mechanic for Land Rover and will see if he can do it. Seems a little extreme to rebuild a transmission when it shifts fine and I do not really have any problems other then that lite coming on. :confused: :eek:

Is the fluid burnt? You need to see if your son can get the truck scanned and get the actual code. The code will likely point you to the right thing that needs replaced.

stop driving with o/d off...it wont even engage until you get up to highway speeds anyway, so its off around town regardless. just keep it on, thats why the light only comes on when its turned 'off'

That's not correct. Turning the OD off will do nothing but raise the rpms. It will not make the o/d light flash. OD is also not turned on by vehicle speed, but engine rpm. Ford also has them set to go into OD early to raise MPG. It's not good to lug a motor at low rpms for a long time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back