• Register Today It's free!

Wich coil springs after V8 swap?

Handy

Reaction score
City, State
Clear Lake, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'86 LX
My '93 is stock but the a4ld has about had it. I have been saving up the parts to do a V8 swap. But after putting it in wich spring will level the ride back out to stck specs? Maybe a little lift as a custom front bumper is on the list too. thanks.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paul, the 5.0L is not much heavier then your 4.0L, your coils will be fine.

Which V8?

Which is the easier swap for a 91 ford explorer, 302 or the 5.0 EFI?

The 302 and 5.0 are pretty similar in difficulty level IMO. Some think the 5.0 is tougher than the 302 though.

Haha, they're the same motor!!!! 5.0L = 302 c.i. :D

easier?

Carbed or EFI. More like cheaper and hack job.

Its a loaded question.

When Ford put the 5.0L into the explorer they made it ALOT easier for you to stuff it in yours.
The reason being the exhaust manifolds, serpentine front dress, intake shape and layout, etc.
However a carbed version can also fit, and you can add these features to an older 5.0L.

Every conversion is different, so there is no one answer.

the tricky part about using the late model 5.0L from the explorer is the PCM, and transmission.
You can put a distributor in the engine and run it just like a Mustang 5.0L conversion.
You can even then use a Buamman 4r70w trans controller to take care of the shifting duties for the 5.0L ex trans (4r70w)

Or you can do like I did and use the stock PCM. My gt-40 has EFI, MAS, OBD-II and a factory computer controlled 4 speed auto.

Or you can run a carbed 5.0L, but the amount of hacking and $$$ you spend on the conversion is completely up to you.

It has been done every which way possible, from $1000 over a weekend (hack job, even saw one with wire nuts on the harness!!!) all the way to $15,000+ high HP converisons

Hold on. A 5.0L is a 302 and a 302 is a 5.0L.They are the same thing. It was called a 5.0L when all the other cars from GM had a 5.0L, 5.7L,6.6L engine in there Camero's or firebirds.

the difference here is not the 302 block really it is the intakes and type of ignition and fuel injection. Also the accessories on the front dress of the engine. He was asking which 5.0L is easier to put in a Gen I Explorer and the answer is you have ALOT of options when it comes to getting a 5.0L running under your hood. From carbed with points to late model computer controlled fuel injection. Fitting the 5.0L block in the TTB equipped Explorer = dual sump oil pan, custom or modified engine mounts, modified trans mount, oil filter relocation, exhaust headers/manifolds, and cooling system fitment for any small block Ford you stuff under there.
What goes on top of that and how you get there is up to you.

Back