Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge Kit

2000StreetRod

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
I'm considering purchasing an Auto Meter wideband air/fuel ratio gauge kit to monitor the impact of my MAF sensor amplifier (MAFSAmp) http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249266

Does anyone know if I can use one of my stock O2 sensors and split the output between the PCM and the A/F digital gauge? If I have to use the A/F kit sensor, what is the best location to install it?

I'm considering purchasing an Auto Meter wideband air/fuel ratio gauge kit to monitor the impact of my MAF sensor amplifier (MAFSAmp) http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249266

Does anyone know if I can use one of my stock O2 sensors and split the output between the PCM and the A/F digital gauge? If I have to use the A/F kit sensor, what is the best location to install it?

With the exception of a very few vehicles (some vw's for one) OEM o2 sensor are NOT wideband, even on 2010 vehicles. What you can do,is install a wideband o2 sensor (in place of stock)/controller that has the ability to simulate the oem narrowband signal, and pass that signal on to to the ecm.

As for brand, if your serious about tuning, I would recommend Innovate Motorsports ( http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products.php ).

By the way, I still think you are wasting a tremendous amount of time and effort on this whole MAF compensation issue; especially if you are, as you said, going to buy the ProRacer package anyway. The software has the ability within it to alow you to tune for different MAF sensors.
Further, while it may appear to be a simple "compensation" on your test bench, I doubt whether MAF "A" and MAF "B" will have a simple LINEAR difference in output voltage for a given airflow once placed into a real world application.

Don't get me wrong, you seem like a really smart guy, and I appreciate the effort that you seem to be putting into this, I just think the premise of your expirement is flawed, and that the effort could be put to much better use in another area (tuning/fuel econonmy, for example??)

Anyway, good luck.

The simplest thing to do is to weld a bung in the exhaust pipe and install a wideband. This will not negatively affect your processor. I sell them if you are interested. I have some economy units as well.-j

The simplest thing to do is to weld a bung in the exhaust pipe and install a wideband. This will not negatively affect your processor. I sell them if you are interested. I have some economy units as well.-j

Thanks for the response James. From what I've read on this forum tuners like yourself are assisted by A/F data to tweak a custom tune. Is a wideband digital meter adequate for that purpose or do you need a data log?

I was thinking of permanently installing a gauge in a pillar pod. I'm currently in the process of installing an Auto Meter Z series transmission temperature gauge in a 2 gauge pod. I was hoping to buy a wideband gauge to match. I've been looking at the Auto Meter 5978 that I can get for around $275. Do you have something comparable?

Back