Widow Lady Needs Some Expert Advice, Please? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Widow Lady Needs Some Expert Advice, Please?

Sunshiney

Reaction score
City, State
SE Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Exp. 2000 Lmtd AWD
Hi -- I'm missing my husband right now. He was one of those "Oh, it's broke. I'll fix it." fellows who never failed to do just that. I'm now on a really tight budget and have been learning how to do as many repairs as I can by myself. I also live in the country, some 20 miles from nearest small town, and am living life solo. OK, now that you have my life story (well, not quite), I am dealing with two issues. Your advice please?

1. 95 degrees/dry heat here today. Left that small town to head home and all was fine until I tried to accelerate from a stop sign while turning to left. She bucked on me! Several times and then she caught her breath and accelerated fine. At first, I thought it was me. After an easy problem-free drive on two-lane road home -- 60 mph -- I turned left into our town entry road, came down a nice hill to the flat area at bottom, headed forward to stop sign (35 mph) and then it did it again. After I crossed at the stop sign, I was slowing as I got closer to my property and gave it a little gas when it bucked again. I thought it would stall. I sat still for a few seconds -- no traffic here at all -- and then gave it some more gas but felt it again start to buck. I got through the buck and it smoothed out, into my driveway I went (has an uphill slope to it). Parked it and now nervous about driving it but I'm way out here in the sticks, so I must.

Does the heat have anything to do with this? My tank was down to a bit above a quarter of tank. 95 degree weather was blistering here.

2. My driver side window began to slide down at an angle two days ago. I have all of my husband's tools. I pulled it up to the top again...heard no motor noises... power up/down works...but I know I could use two hands and slide the window down. I'm opening up the door panel tomorrow. First time but I will do it. Going to see if it has slipped off track and if it can be glued? Should there be some sound if it needs the entire mechanism changed? Auto shop said $500 plus dollars. Ugh.

Right now, I want a good horse. <sheesh!>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has it thrown any CEL's?

Take it to the local parts house, unless you have a code reader, and they will pull the codes and tell you where to start.

Send me an email (dragonchasers@yahoo.com) or a text or call @5612103399.

I'll give you all of the advice based on my experience with my 2000 Mountie, same vehicle.

Where are you located?

As far as the window... This happens when the window channels get worn. dry and dirty. Get yourself a can on Liquid Wrench brand foaming silicon spray and spray it down the front and rear window channels using the small straw that comes with the spray can. Run the window up/down a couple if times and it should be fine for many months. Repeat as necessary (once/twice a year is usually enough). If you don't do something about this you'll end up needing to replace your window regulator, which (trust me) is a rather big job.

IDK about the bucking... spark plugs. plug wires, ignition coil maybe? Is the check engine light on?

Maybe PCV value?

CEL --> no light came on / no lights have ever come on. Good sign? I am in SE Washington state/border Idaho.

That's mighty nice of you to give me your contact info. You know, as a woman I wish now I had said thank you every single hour to my husband for all the fixes he did. While we had an unusually great friendship, I regret not being dog-like in expressing my love for him. Thank you for being a nice man, too. :)

Hi! Nice to meet you! Given that the window slips a wee bit when I hit a bump and that I can put my hand on the top and push it down, do you still recommend the silicon spray? How do you know if the regulator needs to be replaced? Going to go out soon, before heat hits, and open panel of door. I hope I recognize what is wrong when looking at it.

Hi! Nice to meet you! Given that the window slips a wee bit when I hit a bump and that I can put my hand on the top and push it down, do you still recommend the silicon spray? How do you know if the regulator needs to be replaced? Going to go out soon, before heat hits, and open panel of door. I hope I recognize what is wrong when looking at it.

I have some relatives who live near boise. I guess it is exceptionally hot right now. Record heat.

This may be off base, but I wonder if the issue isn't temperature related. I think cleaning the maf sensor and replacing the air filter might help. Also, before the engine is warm, check the coolant level in the radiator ( not the reservoir) .

This issue might also be due to fuel quality, or, low fuel level. When the fuel drops to less then 1/4 tank, wierd things happen on turns and hills due to the fuel pickup location.

Here is a video for cleaning the maf sensor. Be sure to use maf sensor cleaner, or electronic parts cleaner ONLY!!
Considering the intake air temperature sensor is a part of the MAF, and, the higher temps, is what leads me to this.

As long as your window will go up and down completely with help the regulator is probably ok. When the regulator gets bent up the window will get stuck and no amount of pulling/pushing will get it up/down. I'd try the silicon spray. You don't need to take anything apart and it's a cheap/easy fix. I've successfully used this fix on several of my Explorers/Mountaineers. I've also recommended it to others here and it's worked for them.

The window glass is glued into two small "U" shaped pieces on the regulator. I had one glue joint come loose once, but when it did the glass came completely out of it's channel and jammed to the point it could not be moved w/out taking the door apart. I was able to glue the glass back into the "U" piece, but it probably would not have broken free if the channels had been lubed with silicon.

Re the bucking, what is the first thing you fellows would check -- spark plugs? There are zero oil leaks and vehicle usually drives as smooth as glass and as quietly as a sleeping baby.

Re the bucking, what is the first thing you fellows would check -- spark plugs? There are zero oil leaks and vehicle usually drives as smooth as glass and as quietly as a sleeping baby.

Cleaning the maf sensor to fix hesitation is a common DYI procedure. a new air filter while you are in there doesn't hurt.
I am going to suggest one thing at a time to avoid confusion and help to save money. The cheap or free things first.

1- refill with good gas. a can of fuel cleaner-stabilizer might be a good idea.
2- clean maf sensor and area behind air filter ( in maf housing area). also, check to see if a K&N resusable filter is in there and lets us know. Instead of being made of paper, the reusable filter is a screen covered red gauze material

Thanks Turdle. Video is a help. There's no roughness at idle...quiet as can be. Is that important.

You were reading my mind when you gave that list of things to check...the order.

What's going through my mind now is that it seems from reading everything posted here I need to do a drive back into town to get MAF cleaner, new air filter (replaced 4K miles ago), spark plugs etc.

I admit to being nervous about doing the 20 mile one-way drive to town. It's wide open land all the way to there.

I have my husband's 2001 F150 (125K miles on it) also but I have not driven it for a year as I have been unable to get into my husband's driver seat just yet. Oh life...la di da...

My son is some 2000 miles away or he said he would come help. He did say to tell everyone here that mansplaining to me (new word for me) is perfectly fine. I'm a willing learner and don't mind getting dirty but I am not vehicle-knowledgeable. Want to learn.

I really am trying to help here----and you will be angry with me when I say ---

try what was suggested please. Then we go from there.

I am not angry at all! I am overwhelmed by your generosity and help and that of everyone here. And yes, I am going to do as suggested here step by step. Just have to figure out a way into town... Huge thanks!

I can't believe I forgot to ask, and I am presuming this is a 5.0 v8 awd explorer.

While in town, if you go to wally world, pick up a cheap, round dial tire pressure gauge. It should be less than 5.00

We will use this later to check fuel pressure if needed, and you can always use a tire gauge for the truck.

Any idea when the fuel filter was changed last? I hate to see you making a lot of trips to town, but also don't want money thrown down the drain.

Air filter and fuel filter are routine maintenance items, and, along with the maf being dirty are the things I would address now.

The fuel filter is a PITA to change though. Do you have a handy neighbor? Friend who drinks beer?

EDIT!!!
Forgot to ask this. When you first switch the key to on, not start but on like to play the radio, do you see the check engine light illuminated? It should light up during the "bulb check" when key is turned on.

Could be there is a check engine light, but can't see it if the bulb is burned out. So, we need to know this for sure--

-- Radiator checked -- up to top
-- Overflow checked -- perfect
-- Not suggested but checked gasoline cap to assure it was on tightly -- all good
-- Switched key to on (not start) and what came on was: seat belt light, a red image of battery, and check engine red lettering.
-- MAF Sensor -- found it. Now trying to remove. I do not have any electronic cleaner here or MAF Sensor cleaner but I do have computer high pressure air. Is that of any value in cleaning sensor? Edit: I also just found paint thinner. Long shot but will the compressed air or paint thinner subsitute? I am trying to find a ride but no luck so far.
-- Had a couple of gallons of gas here so added that to the tank.

No ride yet to town so not able to buy MAF sensor cleaner. Wish there was a substitute.

If your air filter was changed only 4K ago (and is a regular paper air filter) I wouldn't waste money on replacing it.

If it's one of those oiled air filters it's possible that it was over-oiled and has now fouled the MAF sensor. MAF cleaner will take care of that issue. Do not touch the MAF sensor with your fingers, or anything but the MAF cleaner.

I'm surprised you don't have a CEL on. As suggested, make sure the bulb illuminates during the bulb check.

As far as your fuel filter... yes it is a PITA to change. I'm not thinking your issue is your fuel filter being clogged, as when they're clogged you will notice the lack of power under high RPM/speed rather than at low speed.

Yes, this is a 5.0 V8....

Do not attempt to clean the MAF sensor with anything but MAF cleaner. You will ruin it (compressed air wont hurt it, but it wont do any good either).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it buck when the a/c is off?

Back