Will a 4.0 SOHC from a 2000 Work in a 1997? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 4.0 SOHC from a 2000 Work in a 1997?

pardiville

Reaction score
City, State
Yuma, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer 4.0 Sohc
:usa: We took a 4.0 sohc from a wrecked 2000 Exp and put it into my 1997 and everything lined up ok except for the electrical harness. The plug-ins were different. So we took the wiring harness from my old engine and attached it to the 2000. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS GOING TO WORK? :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope

too many wiring changes from 97 to 2000, the 2000 has a returnless style fuel rail

Now with that being said there are a number of ways to get this to work.... the BEST way is to use the 200 block and heads EVERYTHING else comes from your 97 engine, the intake, the fuel rail, the sensors, the accessories, the crank pos sensor, the cam pos sensor, EVERYTHING... just use the 2000 BLOCK AND HEADS, thats it... then you are golden

the 97 wiring attached to the 2000 engine WILL NOT WORK

We changed the fuel rail, wiring harness, intake. We haven,t changed the crank & cam pos sensors. This is turning into a real nightmare.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Mike

It is running like a champ.

i also am doing the same thing and have run into the same problems most of the wires are in the same spot but there are a few that will need to be repinned when,if i figure them all out i will get you the results

I had to use the original wiring harness.

The 1997 harness worked for my engine, the newer harness would not match up to the plug ins on the chasis. Thanks for the reply, let me know how yours turns out, Mike

Back