Will a 4405-08 GA T-case replace a 4405-07 CA ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 4405-08 GA T-case replace a 4405-07 CA ?

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Replacement 4405-07 CA stuck in low range!

I have a 4405-07 CA. I really need to know if the bolt pattern on a 4405-08 GA will fit my 95 4x4 EX. I might have bought the wrong case, and it is an internet purchase / auction. I might have jumped in too fast on this new T-case!

Any one that knows if it is interchangeable or not will be of great help.
I have but 20 hours before the deal goes down! AAAHHHH!

Ok, this thread has changed direction! I now have gone to the install and have new problems!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I was asking the wrong question. I have heard the 4405 -07 and 4405 -8 have different input shaft mounting. I just got off the phone with a trans shop and they said they will not interchange. They are not parts swappable either. I have to get out of my auction bid and try again!

Thanks for the help anywho!

*COUGH* 1354 swap ;)

anyway, im almost positive that all 4405's have the same bolt pattern. what did the case come out of that your getting?

Have you done a 1354 swap? I know the wire harness is different, but what else is different?

I am trying to figure out if a 4405 08 GA which is from a 96 up to 01. Will fit in a 95 which has the 4405 07 CA. One member has posted he did it. The front input connections are different on them. If it is a simple driveshaft modification, that is great! I dont know for sure if it can be done, what has to be done and so forth. I can get a brand new 4405 08 GA for dirt cheap. I am but a poor construction worker with a broken down rig. Every penny counts right now. The economy has brought my work to a halt.

6 bolt ( cv style) to 4 bolt flange adapter

attachment.php

If the front output shafts are different, then swap in the matching front driveshaft

Ok, I have found out (on paper) this is going to work! I have been in touch with several member's, Mods and a couple of transmission shops, The dealership just confirmed something for me.

The front input shaft is the same on these two models, meaning it will definitely work!
The only thing I have to change out as noted above by our fine Moderators is the front drive shaft is different.

Now the suggestion by Jon is to use an adapter like he has posted a pic of, with a different make of drive shaft.

The second suggestion from Izwack, is to use a drive shaft from a 97-01 4x4.

Either way this has been a hair pulling, nail biting day for me, that has come to a beautiful ending. Now all that is left is to get the 4405-08 GA delivered, and installed.

Thanks for all that has helped me on figuring this out! I never would have been able to do it with out your help!

P.S. Iz, your awesome man! Thanks a chit ton!

No prob - Email in the future so our PM Inboxes dont go bleh.

All right, the 4405-08 GA didnt pan thru for me, i lost it with a few seconds to go on an auction. So...I found an exact replacement t-case from a shop in town that has a 1 year full replacement plan on it.

I had to use my shift motor, and reconnect the brown wire, since they had cut it. I also had to use my speedo sensor, theirs was bent and i didnt trust it. I installed the t-case today and filled it with Mobil 1 ATF. All went well with the install minus one mishap. My hand slipped off it when i was bench pressing it up and it landed on my shoulder, that smarted!

I reconnected the battery, started it up, put it into reverse, and what do you know, it moved! tried drive, it moved as well! Woo Hoo! Ok time for a test drive.

It is stuck in low gear. The t-case wont come out of low. I tried everything i can think of to get it out of low, no luck. I am not sure what is going on here. The shift rail was in high position, the shift motor was in high, they lined right up when I put the shift motor on. The switch is in 2wd. the fronts are not connected, but I am definitely in low range. So, 2w low? The dash 4x4 lights work with the selector switch, everything seems to be working but I am just in low range.

Any ideas?

In such a situation and after what you've already tried, its really time to drop and split the transfer case open. Or I'd go to a junk yard, get a 1354 electric, split it open to make sure everything is fine, and swap it into your vehicle.

In such a situation and after what you've already tried, its really time to drop and split the transfer case open. Or I'd go to a junk yard, get a 1354 electric, split it open to make sure everything is fine, and swap it into your vehicle.

Ok, but this is the NEW t-case that is not working. I just purchased it a day ago, and installed it today.

The original t-case was dropped and split open earlier this week. Turns out the clutch pack was shot, and fragged the rest of the case. I now have one t-case in the truck(new), and one t-case split in half with a gazillion parts in a box.

I am leaning to the brown wire having something to do with it, or, my shift motor is not working right.

The new t-case is the 4505 -07 CA it is identical to the one I dropped on Monday, and was split by a transmission shop. They diagnosed it.

So this T-case is exhibiting the same 4LO problem as the other? Maybe the switch or controller is dead.

If you cant get that case out of 4LO with a pair of pliers, remove it from the vehicle and do it while its on the ground. Then bolt it up to the vehicle but dont plug the connectors. Then take for a spin and it should still be in HI range. Then reconnect the connectors - if it goes into 4LO, then the problem is upstream of the transfer case (switch, wiring, controller).

So this T-case is exhibiting the same 4LO problem as the other? Maybe the switch or controller is dead.

If you cant get that case out of 4LO with a pair of pliers, remove it from the vehicle and do it while its on the ground. Then bolt it up to the vehicle but dont plug the connectors. Then take for a spin and it should still be in HI range. Then reconnect the connectors - if it goes into 4LO, then the problem is upstream of the transfer case (switch, wiring, controller).

Ok I like the idea. I will try it with out the shift motor in it first. I was able to shift this t-case by hand easily before I installed it. Not like the old one, which was sprung into a low shift rail setting. (but was still in neutral)

The other t-case was stuck in neutral, I had no gear whatsoever.

The dash lights concur with the selector switch. The shift motor worked off, but still plugged up. Maybe it is just weak?

Another installment of a miserable day!

I pulled the shift motor off, and have been messing with the shift rail deal that the motor turns.

I even changed the brown wire connector to a better connector with heat shrink tube.

I could not for the life of me figure out how to get this NEW CASE out of low range. it just wont go into high.

I reinstalled the shift motor and tried the selector switch. It turned the shift motor and than the relays started clicking in the dash, they stopped after a few times, and then the 4x4 lights on the dash started blinking. Then they stopped. I returned the selector back to 2wd and nothing happened at all, no lights on dash, no sound from the shift motor, nothing.

I put it into park, turned it off, and contemplated getting my gun, and putting it out of its misery. I have no high gears, no transportation, the 94 is on stands awaiting some manual hubs from California. Where are they anyways?

Any ways, if any one has a 4405 tcase they can swap ideas with me, that would be great.

Here are a couple of pics of the shift rail problems.

First pic is of the position trying to get it into high. This is the point where it stops moving easy, going clockwise, it looks like it is in low, and starts to resist, but it is to the left of the low mark.
picture.php

This is the point it is at when trying to get it into low going counter clockwise, before it starts to resist.
picture.php

Turdle, where did you get that front drive shaft adapter for the t-case?

So, with the shift rail in the high position, and the motor cycled off the t-case to ensure it's in high, you reinstall the motor, start it up, and it's actually in low range. Park it, pull the motor and the shift rail is pointing to....???? High or low?

I'm trying to figure out if the system is shifting the case back into low range, or if the t-case is somehow STUCK in low range...

-Joe

So, with the shift rail in the high position, and the motor cycled off the t-case to ensure it's in high, you reinstall the motor, start it up, and it's actually in low range. Park it, pull the motor and the shift rail is pointing to....???? High or low?

I'm trying to figure out if the system is shifting the case back into low range, or if the t-case is somehow STUCK in low range...

-Joe

Joe,
When I have everything in "2WD High", as in shift motor, in high position, the switch in 2WD, and the Shift rail in The high position, pointing at the H mark on the t-case, and I start it up and put into gear it is in "Low range". (2W low.)

I removed the shift motor, and it is indeed pointing at the High mark.

I am going to pull the case today, try to see if it will shift with little resistance, and "click" into gear. I really don't know what else to do.

I called the place I purchased it from this morning and told them it was stuck in low range. This guy told me to bring it in and he will look at. But he is just a counter guy at a junkyard, so I am a little skeptical about what he is going to do. He immediately tried blaming my truck, and not even thinking that it could be the t-case that had a problem.

The weather is terrible outside right now, and I am waiting for it to warm another 10 degrees before i attempt to pull it. Noon? what a pita! I am starting to think I did something wrong, or my system is screwing it up.

Any idea how many miles the used Tcase has on it? I had a similar problem on my 97 staying in low range...turned out to be shift fork plastic inserts missing, along with the infamous shift rail bore issue. The BW 4405 has problems. I wouldn't trust a used one any more than the one you are replacing. Either have yours rebuilt or buy one that has already been rebuilt with the shift rail bores machined out and bushings inserted.

Any idea how many miles the used Tcase has on it? I had a similar problem on my 97 staying in low range...turned out to be shift fork plastic inserts missing, along with the infamous shift rail bore issue. The BW 4405 has problems. I wouldn't trust a used one any more than the one you are replacing. Either have yours rebuilt or buy one that has already been rebuilt with the shift rail bores machined out and bushings inserted.

No idea on the amount of miles.

Too late for any thing else, money is already spent and I am not getting it back.
The reason I went to a salvage yard is because I could not afford the $800 they wanted to rebuild mine. In this economy, I had to do what I had to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok,

I have the new(er) t-case out. I tried to manually turn the shift rail. It is no different than when it was installed. Exact same thing happens when turning it. I have it loaded and am hauling it back to the salvage yard. I will see what they have to say about it.

I will Post back in a while with the verdict.

Back