Will an 80 inch storm door fit and close the hatch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will an 80 inch storm door fit and close the hatch?

dkean

Reaction score
City, State
south Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 3.5 V6
This size door will not fit in the back of my jeep and be able to close the hatch. Will it fit in an explorer an be able to close the hatch?

My wife and I had a similar question over the weekend, as we were bringing home a tree and had to measure the trees and the car, resulting in an amusing scene where were measuring all the trees in the nursery for height.

The answer is...it depends. With the 2nd and 3rd rows folded down, I could fit an 80ish inch object behind the passenger seat. It was more like 75 on the driver’s side by my measurements, but I sit pretty far back. Other users here have reported around 80” behind the front row.

Could I squeeze an 80” door in there, probably. Could I do it with the door in the box, not so sure. You’ve got to account for packaging. The only way to be sure with ANY enclosed vehicle is to measure your vehicle with the seats as far forward as you can safely drive it, and measure the door as packaged before buying, because measurements can change based on front seat position.

This would be helped if manufacturers specified such lengths rather than only publishing cubic feet measurements.

Limit is pretty much one 8' garage door panel and up to 30" tall, maybe.

...anything wider would be too wide to get into car and move it around (slightly)
-give or take an inch or 2.
I think the panels are 20" wide.
-door will seriously scratch up anything it touches
so 8'x24" fit inside on edge and hatch closed with 5" or 6" to spare to hatch,
& at the ceiling it was about 5" to spare angled the way it was.

It is all going to come down to where you have your drivers and passengers seat at. All the way back and I would say no. Also it is going to depend if the door is in a box or not.

Back