Will I be hated. 96 explorer may take trip to metal yard. need something?> | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will I be hated. 96 explorer may take trip to metal yard. need something?>

timn8er

Reaction score
City, State
Oshawa Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie
Hi All. Its been a long time since i posted, Life got busy, family members got sick and passed. thus I have lost interest in my explorer and could use the space its taking up in the driveway. Shes a 1996 Eddie Bauer in great shape it was runnig inthe spring but i just cant seem to get her to fire up now and imjust done messing with it. I posted online and the only intrest i seem to get is from those tow truck vultures that are after the cats. I was asking 1000 bucks Canadian and felt it was more than fair considering the lack of rust on her for a 96. If i scrap it on tuesday will i be hated? i sure would like someone out there that needs parts to get a hold of her Im willing to ship smaller parts if it may help someone. after all its 25 years old

(edited) now i think about it, I did have a 95 when i bought this one for parts. this truck was way better shape than my 95 so the wife took it over and I scrapped the 95. so I think who ever buys this will most likely build off of this. i can provide more pics if desired. I just didnt want to flood this thread with pics.

DSC00097.JPG

DSC00099.JPG

DSC00101.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although you may make yourself and others happy by taking it to Bring A Trailer....And I'm remiss, sorry for your family losses!

For a vehicle like a Gen 2 Explorer, $500 US is about all you can expect for a non-runner.

How much does a scrap yard give you for it? I’d give it to a fellow Explorer lover for that amount, and maybe they’ll fix it up

How many miles on it? Is it 4x4 model?
CEL on ?

Honestly, I agree with them, rather than junking it, find someone who would take it. If I had the space for it, I'd take it in a heartbeat. As well, a junkyard won't get you too much for it compared to finding someone here that will buy it off you. Just hang on a little bit and ask around, post here, facebook, etc.. I'm sorry for you loss, timn8er.

Honestly, I agree with them, rather than junking it, find someone who would take it. If I had the space for it, I'd take it in a heartbeat. As well, a junkyard won't get you too much for it compared to finding someone here that will buy it off you. Just hang on a little bit and ask around, post here, facebook, etc..
My thoughts were along the same line. Scrp rate is high at the moment and I have a big buyer 15 min from me. last update was 308 bucks a tonne so if i were to drag it across the scale and scrap the cat at the wirgh scale i would only get 1 grand for it so I figure if someone can use it for parts and i get scrap rate we all smile. No rust on the doors hood or hatch. just rear driver quarter is soft thanks to the runners. but rockers up front are solid, It came from British Columbia by train before i bought it. no snow and salt there unlike out here in the east.

My thoughts were along the same line. Scrp rate is high at the moment and I have a big buyer 15 min from me. last update was 308 bucks a tonne so if i were to drag it across the scale and scrap the cat at the wirgh scale i would only get 1 grand for it so I figure if someone can use it for parts and i get scrap rate we all smile. No rust on the doors hood or hatch. just rear driver quarter is soft thanks to the runners. but rockers up front are solid, It came from British Columbia by train before i bought it. no snow and salt there unlike out here in the east.
Well if you're still going to possibly part it out, a few things I may ask about if my junkyard trip on tuesday doesn't work out! Looking to make my interior lights blue, so I'm looking for older dash modules in good condition, which is troublesome thanks to the age! But I may just redneck something like everything else.

@timn8er

Hope this helps w/ regards to getting the most value!

Canada's Official Vehicle Retirement Program​

LINK: | Retire Your Ride

LAQ Link: FAQ « | Retire Your Ride
I called that program. The guy came here after I answered all his questions, I told dont bother coming with less than 900. Once he got here He started to tell me how it didnt have alloy wheels, the Cats were not original blaw blaw blaw. He pissed me off so much I sent him on his merry way as he was wearing out my ears and annoying me for what it was worth. Then the guy finally gets in his truck and backs up into the front of my wifes VW. Gets out and claims he didnt see the car. What crap and oddly i managed to get it all on video.. I was told the car would be parted out etc.. but it was all bullcrap on his end. and hes wrong. its all original for frog snacks but he thought i was an idiot.

I called that program. The guy came here after I answered all his questions, I told dont bother coming with less than 900. One her got here He started to tell me how it didnt have alloy wheels, the Cats were not original blaw blaw blaw. He pissed me off so much I sent him on his merry way as he was wearing out my ears and annoying me for what it was worth. Then the guy finally gets in his truck and backs up into the front of my wifes VW. Gets out and claims he didnt see the car. What crap and oddly i managed to get it all on video.. I was told the car would be parted out etc.. but it was all bullcrap on his end.
Good grief, hope the VW gets fixed on HIS dime...

Good grief, hope the VW gets fixed on HIS dime...
I was so mad, I just told him to get out of my face before it becomes a larger problem. It was a hot day so the plastics seem to of popped back into their place minus a few clips.

Take a few minutes and report him & his firm to the "program" - since he is "pre-approved & vetted" by the program.

The way I read it in the FAQ's they (wreckers) view the pics and info you submitted, bid beforehand in a public forum so all approved wreckers (and you) can see what the current market rate is for your Ex, and in the end YOU choose the "winner".

"Winner" comes to your house to tow the EX for free and then subsequently gets you the CDN $$$ Amount check he agreed to during the bidding process.

As I read it, the "Winner" pulled a reverse bait and switch by lowering his bid when he arrived...

At minimum, Ontario CA should remove his company from their process -

I'd give it to your local church/ food shelter
Free
Better than any $900 imo
I do stuff like this all the time

Just my advice :)

Take a few minutes and report him & his firm to the "program" - since he is "pre-approved & vetted" by the program.

The way I read it in the FAQ's they (wreckers) view the pics and info you submitted, bid beforehand in a public forum so all approved wreckers (and you) can see what the current market rate is for your Ex, and in the end YOU choose the "winner".

"Winner" comes to your house to tow the EX for free and then subsequently gets you the CDN $$$ Amount check he agreed to during the bidding process.

As I read it, the "Winner" pulled a reverse bait and switch by lowering his bid when he arrived...

At minimum, Ontario CA should remove his company from their process -
The experience frustrated me to the point. I sure dont care to try it again. .Im thinking its off to the melter tomorrow. ill try and get the mid flares off to the guy who wanted a set.

Sure wish I lived closer! Mine is the exact same but '95. It'd be nice to get parts before it's scrapped!

How many miles on it? Is it 4x4 model?
CEL on ?
238,980 km. transmission was replaced when i replaced a cracked ring gear. there is about 5000km on rebui;t tranmission.. I also have 2 spare transfer cases, another tranmission and 3 front axles for local free parts days/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

238,980 km. transmission was replaced when i replaced a cracked ring gear. there is about 5000km on rebui;t tranmission.. I also have 2 spare transfer cases, another tranmission and 3 front axles for local free parts days/
Only a 148K miles on a 4.0 ohv is nothing...and as you stated a freshly rebuilt trans and being a 4x4! (this is my dream vehicle)....personally I'd press on getting starting issue resolved and keep it at least for a backup vehicle / when your daily has a sudden issue to keep you constantly mobile. Ditch the running boards and do some light wheelin. Just my 2 cents.

Back