Junkyard trip for Gen II parts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Junkyard trip for Gen II parts

Perhaps aftermarket. I am pretty sure my 98+ had all the seat-related options "money could buy": 6-way adjustable, inflatable lumbar support, etc. -- for both the driver and the passenger. And just looked at the EVTM -- no mention of heated seat option there at all. Somebody correct me, but I have a feeling that heated seats did not show up until gen 3 -- 2002.
interesting, didnt know that! may have been aftermarket, idk. looked like a clean install if so! good to know man

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps aftermarket. I am pretty sure my 98+ had all the seat-related options "money could buy": 6-way adjustable, inflatable lumbar support, etc. -- for both the driver and the passenger. And just looked at the EVTM -- no mention of heated seat option there at all. Somebody correct me, but I have a feeling that heated seats did not show up until gen 3 -- 2002.
Mine are oem I have every option on my ldt except lit running boards and air suspension

XL2Z-14D696-BB is the part number for our pads

Mine are oem I have every option on my ldt except lit running boards and air suspension
Is yours with the heated seats MY 2000? Never heard of lighted running boards option on the 1998 either.

Is yours with the heated seats MY 2000? Never heard of lighted running boards option on the 1998 either.
I was just saying options my bad I've only seen one 2nd gen with lighted running boards it was a fully loaded eddie except it still didn't have reverse sensors 🤔 I'm not trying to get into an argument **** I love my ex. I wouldn't be getting it fixed if I didn't. Air suspension? Moon roof? On yours. Hey for all we know someone could of gutted a set of seats from a later ex. To put in the 98 Levittown ford and ford parts says there is a button for 98s but couldn't find a pad.

@1998Exp Off-topic to OP, but my 2000 Limited appears to have factory-installed heated memory seats, and has the 3-position memory seat with fob positioning, as well as power everything including pneumatic lumbar support on driver's and passenger sides. (Seat heater doesn't seem to work, but I don't care.)

Main reason I asked Is cause I don't feel like buying hog ring pilers and going through that mess of removing the cover I have a great condition bottom now.

Understood, it is not the most fun job. You can replace with zip ties, but I also understand you may want it stock. Zip ties are preferred sometimes because heating elements can short out with metal.
A 24 yo seat in JY is 20/80 if it will still heat. And if you use it often, probably won't last. Heated seats are wear items. Even the blower based ones on the new trucks wear out for various reasons.

interesting, didnt know that! may have been aftermarket, idk. looked like a clean install if so! good to know man
I was just saying options my bad I've only seen one 2nd gen with lighted running boards it was a fully loaded eddie except it still didn't have reverse sensors 🤔 I'm not trying to get into an argument shi* I love my ex. I wouldn't be getting it fixed if I didn't. Air suspension? Moon roof? On yours. Hey for all we know someone could of gutted a set of seats from a later ex. To put in the 98 Levittown ford and ford parts says there is a button for 98s but couldn't find a pad.
98+ could have heated seats. They are installed on the seat bezel. I have my truck state inspected at Ford. The tech that did it said he was around when they came out, he said I thought only 98s had them, he said I guess you added them 😂. Told me he replaced plenty of pads.

I have heated seats from a 2000 Eddie in my bii. they are tan leather and say “Eddie Bauer” in them, both sides are heated
I have had them for years
Pretty sure 99+ heat was an option in limiteds Eddie’s and mointaineers

The lighted running boards began in 1999, they were on the models with the large fender flares an running boards. The 99-01 Limited's had them, which is why I prefer the 98 Limited, I don't like those fender flares(the sharp edge). Any optioned models with those would have lighting on both ends, so the Eddie Bauer had them from 99-01 also.

It has a good right rear door handle. It is green, my truck is blue. I think green will work on the beater.

One tip to make punching & drilling of the door handle rivets easier:

Run a bungee cord from the top of the door to the handle, and use that to hold the handle up for access to the rivets. That way, less chance for damage to the handle, and easier to drill and punch. I had some minor cosmetic damage from my drill and punch when I removed my driver side handle. Total PITA trying to hold the handle up and use a punch and hammer. The bungee cord made removal faster and easier in sub 40º temps in the junkyard

@toypaseo I forgot to take my drill with me. I'll take a bungee too, if I can find one around here. Hopefully they wont crush it before I can get out there again.

The lighted running boards began in 1999, they were on the models with the large fender flares an running boards. The 99-01 Limited's had them, which is why I prefer the 98 Limited, I don't like those fender flares(the sharp edge). Any optioned models with those would have lighting on both ends, so the Eddie Bauer had them from 99-01 also.
Ah see you'd like my ltd back when it had the steps on it mine aren't the wide fender flares. Plus two of them are missing.

Dorman sells metal exterior replacement handles about $30

Drilling the door handles huge pita to get the drill centered on the rivet if at all possible try to use a small grinder. Grind the head off the rivet punch it through
Most of the junk yard door handles have broken springs anyways and many are plastic

Drilling the door handles huge pita to get the drill centered on the rivet if at all possible try to use a small grinder. Grind the head off the rivet punch it through
Most of the junk yard door handles have broken springs anyways and many are plastic

I use a large drill bit to remove the rivet head, then use a punch to push the rivet through…

@Pete Deering There are probably some with the skid plates on them. The only way to remove them is have the Articulator Operator turn one on its side. But I suspect that they don't survive anymore than the driveshafts do. Every rear wheel drive, drive shaft is bent from the forks when they pick up a car or truck. The wasted parts are amazing, but it is a scrap yard and not a junk yard.
@410Fortune @toypaseo I use a tapered centerpunch to attempt to knock the center core out. That usually works but when it doesn't, it centerpunches the rivet such that my drill bit stays centered. I use a 1/4" bit to cut the rivet head without cutting the hole in the steel panel. Years ago, we bought an expensive rivet tool for working on the fox body Mustang door handles and window regulators. It's called a Marson Big Daddy rivet tool.
Marson Big Daddy rivet Tool
marsenbdrt.jpg

When word got out that we owned one, fellow shop owners would come by, and we would pop the rivets in for $5- a pop. That was 20-25 years ago. Now it would probably be about $15- for two, like to fasten an exterior door handle on. We have probably used well over 100 rivets, maybe 150 riveting door handles and window regulators on and in. It is a very well-built tool and is in the specialty tool drawer. We've never loaned it out.

That's a nice tool, the one I bought was from HF and works well, but it doesn't look that strong. I spent more on the rivets, just went into orders from Amazon. The cost in 2009 for 250 was $71 and tax, those were the right black version, a little harder to find back then.

@CDW6212R We've spray painted some rivets before we use them, but 9 out of 10 times not.

Me too, I painted quite a few when I reconstructed my 93 Limited in 2002. So when I got to doing the 1999, I knew how many rivets were along the "A" pillar trim, and all the big ones on handles and door lock actuators. I hunted the black ones on purpose. :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@410Fortune I've seen the metal ones. I can get the plastic ones for $5- each which leads to a question.
Question: Are the right side door handles identical whether it is front or rear? Or is it something weird like the drivers front is the same as the passenger rear? Or, are all 4 different?

Back