will overload leaf improve ride on dropped X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will overload leaf improve ride on dropped X?

XLoudFN97X

Reaction score
'97 2WD EB and I'm about to do the shocks front and rear I'm not sure if they've EVER been done (@104K!). The front looks like a cinch, easy bolt-off-bolt-on and we're done. My Q is on the stock rear shock/leaf spring setup, of which I do not fully understand it's structure and functionality. I know I'm on a SUA setup and I'm going to be using lowering blocks, I hope to get about a 2" drop (I first have to see how effective a torsion twist is on the front). I was considering removing or replacing the overload leaf. Will I even need an overload leaf (I never tow anything heavier than a sea-doo, rarely off-road, but I do carry about 150lbs of electronics in the cargo den everywhere I go)? Will the dropped suspension be any more likely to flex to the overload bar?- In this case the snubbers would be there to cushion the flex. Will removing the overload leaf lower the truck additionally or not, and will not having affect ride-comfort? Conversely, will installing a thicker composite load leaf with snubbers displace the blocks' lowering distance? Thanks ahead-
~stu

I would leave them in. Its like a no win situation, if you take it out, the axle will have more flex but bottom out more often, but if you leave it in, the ride will be stiffer. Since you haul cargo, I would leave them.

Will the dropped suspension be any more likely to flex to the overload bar? Will installing a thicker composite load leaf with snubbers displace the blocks' lowering distance? Thanks again-
~stu

With blocks, the leaves themselves will function just like stock. The difference is there isn't as much travel for the rear axle.

Adding a bigger overload spring won't effect the lowering distance much at all since the springs are under the axle.

Back