Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror?

Interesting. But unless they have modified the design of the mirror, I don't see how a replacement will change anything.

Not every Explorer has the noise so something is clearly wrong that doesnt affect every one. I am skeptical myself but we will see.

I'm going to request the old one put back on if it does not solve it because I have the film protection on it and dont want to have a new one put on if I dont have to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just heard the noise. but when I folded the mirrors inside I stopped hearing the noise. I will experiment a few more times before making the final judgement.

I just heard the noise. but when I folded the mirrors inside I stopped hearing the noise. I will experiment a few more times before making the final judgement.

I did this test as well and discovered the noise had lessened. That being said, with the mirrors folded the aerodynamics change as well.

This is the low speed whistle. The dealer heard the whistle on my vehicle and verified it existed on a couple other 2020 explorers they had on the lot as well. They reported it to Ford and are awaiting a response or repair from Ford. Their input was not the first on this issue. They will call me when they get feedback. As with a few other issues, there is no fix or info back from Ford.
Experiencing the same whistling nose. Reported it to my dealers service dept. and they are looking into it.

Welcome to the Forum Alec.:wave:
I'm guessing you have the ST, not the RS shown in your profile.;)

Peter

Just took a 2020 XLT on a test drive. Few noises. 1st I heard a whistle and it ended up I think being the turbo/bpv. Then on the highway ~60mph I did hear wind noise louder on the passenger side than anywhere else, and THEN I did at times, hear a slight wind whistle (not the turbo/bpv). It was really only loud enough to be annoying when driving with no music. Since we drive with music on 99% of the time, this wind noise was not an issue, but it is there.

So my dealer has ordered a new passenger mirror. They said that when they fold the mirrors in, the whistle goes away so ford approved a new one.

Will report back once installed and confirm if it does goes away

Any updates, did they install the new mirror yet?

Any updates, did they install the new mirror yet?

Not installed yet. On vacation this week so told them I'd make an appt when I return some time next week.

I have yet to hear any wind noise or whistling in either of the 3 2020 explorers I have driven and have been passenger in. Long highway rides each.

The folks at MotorTrend just tested the 2020 against the Pilot and also noted a loud, bothersome wind noise.

The folks at MotorTrend just tested the 2020 against the Pilot and also noted a loud, bothersome wind noise.
Yeah that test was odd to me, they noted the noise on the drivers side.

It is also really aggravating all the comparison for the Explore are using lower end models...

Yeah that test was odd to me, they noted the noise on the drivers side.

It is also really aggravating all the comparison for the Explore are using lower end models...

I think that’s a price problem...for the price of a XLT without many options one can pretty much get the top line from -well- ALL the competitors. Ford may need to adjust the Explorer’s price quite a bit. That $8k large increase they slapped on the 2020 is not looking good.

........ That $8k large increase they slapped on the 2020 is not looking good.
Perhaps that was to help offset some of the buybacks.:)

Peter

I think that’s a price problem...for the price of a XLT without many options one can pretty much get the top line from -well- ALL the competitors. Ford may need to adjust the Explorer’s price quite a bit. That $8k large increase they slapped on the 2020 is not looking good.
The competitors are front wheel drive turds.
They are also smaller. I dont care what they say, I test drove and analyzed several in,below, and above price point of ST. None compare.
The BMW x7 i50 loaded up is a competitor but its 30k more. The Kia and Hyundai are HIGHLY over rated. Idk seems Korea is paying off many in the auto reporting industry because I'd take an xlt over either of those in mid trim.
The limited palisade simply does not compare to a limited explorer, imo. You want more? Go platinum or ST.

How loud is this whistle? Do you hear it with music on, or driving silent? I only have 1 test drive under my belt and it was not bad imo if I could hear it

It is a distinct pitch to me, very reminiscent of the days when pickups had the triangle vent windows. I have to have the volume at about 10 or above to drown it out. Some say they do not hear it when riding with me, unfortunately that does not mean I don’t. :(

I'll make sure to bring this up at the meeting tomorrow guys, wish me luck :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a distinct pitch to me, very reminiscent of the days when pickups had the triangle vent windows. I have to have the volume at about 10 or above to drown it out. Some say they do not hear it when riding with me, unfortunately that does not mean I don’t. :(

How high pitched a whistle sound is it? Is it the type of high pitched whistle us dinosaurs (45+ and up) cannot hear anyway, but younger fellas do hear?

Back