Windshield washer pump problem. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield washer pump problem.

Since the relays didn't fix it, you need to do some troubleshooting. The washer pump gets power thru Fuse 12 in the box inside the car - verify that first. Then verify that the grounds are good - term 2 in the rear relay socket and term 4 on both front and rear relay socket should all be grounded. Then run a jumper from the battery directly to the pump to verify that the pump does indeed work. If all of these things are OK, you will need to use the schematic and test at points along the way from the switch thru the relays to the pump to determine where you are loosing power. You should have battery voltage at term 1 and 5 of the front relay socket when key is in On or Run; you should have battery voltage at term 1 and 5 of the rear relay socket when key is in On or Run AND the rear washer switch is depressed.

Hear is a great source for wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Good luck.

Wow, ya learn something every day! I had no idea there was actually 3 washer pump relays until I searched for and found this thread.

Matt came home with a dead washer pump in his 98 Mountaineer. Fuse 12 was a 7.5 amp and blown. Replacing the fuse did not result in the anticipated joy, so we swapped the relay in the power distribution box.

Still no joy.

Then I found this thread, replaced the front pump relay and all is well. :thumbsup:

OK, I may have just been a bit slow on this one. After replacing the #12 fuse again (which probably should have been a clue), I went throught the whole system and everything tested good up to the pump. It turns out the pump was bad. When I tested it with direct battery power it worked, but when I plugged it back into the system all it did was blow fuses. The new pump, when I put it in on a gt feeling and nothing else, worked great. Next time I test something like a washer pump with battery power, I think I will put the appropriate size fuse in between. That would have indicated the problem right away.

Thanks for the advice and information, I really appreciate it. Had it not been for the holidays with family, friends, and the outlaws followed by a long and nasty cold and then by the ominous sounding polar vortex (apparently some people want me to believe that record cold temps are obvious proof of global warming), this would probably have been resolved multiple weeks ago. Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Old thread, I know, and if I'm breaking any rules I sincerely apologize, but I just HAD to jump in and thank 200XPLORERSPORT, gijoecam, and TheJackal for their relay suggestions, and especially the auxiliary relay box pic that The Jackal posted (for the record though, it's upside-down compared with the way mine's mounted in my 2000 XLT - not that that's a crisis!). My washer hasn't worked since I got the car and with winter coming on, I did NOT want to carry water to clean the salt off the windshield. So I did my research, ended up with this thread, and went to work.

Also, thank you to Metalhead Jon for the suggestion of swapping the washer relay with the fog lamp relay (swapping front and back wouldn't do any good, neither one worked). Tried that, still no joy. Was thinking it might be the motor, couldn't get the blasted thing out - heck, I couldn't even manage to get the wires unplugged to test! Is there some kind of special trick that I'm missing?

Anyway, I ended up going backwards from Jon - check everything else first, THEN check Fuse #12 next to the door! Everyone feel free to send raspberries this way, the fuse was blown. Replaced the 7.5A fuse with a 5A fuse (my only alternative at the moment, unless I wanted to use a 10A), and tested...

Got water spraying on the passenger side, but not the driver's side. It was then that I noticed water on the engine in front of the driver.

Some little critter decided to chew on the tubing, right there were the tubing is held next to the firewall, in front of said driver.

I sincerely thank all of you for pointing me in the right direction - I'd have appreciated a head's up about pulling the air cleaner apart to get to the relay box though! :-D

Back