Anyone had non-automatic windshield wipers randomly sweep? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone had non-automatic windshield wipers randomly sweep?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles are on your Explorer, vurb? Have you brought this to the attention of your dealership?

Crystal

Not yet. She just told me about it a week or so ago but it has now started doing it more frequently each day. It is now doing random wipes every 5 mins or so while driving. Non auto wipers.

Not yet. She just told me about it a week or so ago but it has now started doing it more frequently each day. It is now doing random wipes every 5 mins or so while driving. Non auto wipers.

It sounds like it's time to get this in front of them, vurb. Once you've had this diagnosed, I'll be able to step in and assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I you are out of warranty, Just replace the windshield wiper switch assembly. It will likely fix your problem. It fixed mine.

Do a search from my username for threads I've started and look for the one on replacing the switch. It is pretty simple if you have basic mechanical skills.

Sorry, I don't have time to look for it myself. GTG

This unique anomaly with the wipers just randomly swiping the windshield (every 25 seconds) occurred to me about a month ago when I was driving my wife's 2011 Ford Explorer XLT (28k miles & 4 months out of warranty!!!).

My wife now reports that it has happened to her quite a few times over the past few days.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB out from Ford on this yet? If not, I expect we will soon see one as there are a few reports of this anomaly listed here on Explorer Forums.

Thread #1

Thread #2 - similar issue

I just found out that there was a TSB for "rain sensing wipers" - I don't have those.
The TSB for rain sensing wipers is TSB 11-11-12 (can someone post that please).

The interesting thing about this...is that this same exact thing happened way back when to my 1999 Ford Explorer and that was repaired back in 1999/2000 under warranty and there was a TSB about that wiper issue! History repeating itself??

There is a TSB for it and it is listed in the 2011 + TSB's thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

11-11-12 RAIN SENSITIVE WIPERS - UN-COMMANDED OR PHANTOM WIPE ON DRY GLASS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 6/26/2011

I had it done twice on my 2011 Limited. They replaced the module.

If you don't have the Rain Sensing wipers then the issue is probably in the wiper stalk and will likely have to be replaced.

Peter

There is a TSB for it and it is listed in the 2011 + TSB's thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

11-11-12 RAIN SENSITIVE WIPERS - UN-COMMANDED OR PHANTOM WIPE ON DRY GLASS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 6/26/2011

I had it done twice on my 2011 Limited. They replaced the module.

If you don't have the Rain Sensing wipers then the issue is probably in the wiper stalk and will likely have to be replaced.

Peter

Peterk ,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Do you know where I may be able to find the verbage within TSB 11-11-12?
I tried to Google Search it but did not come up with the verbiage within.

Yes, I do not have the rain sensing wipers but just was curious about the TSB and wanted to read it anyway in case there was any nugget in there.

Since there has been a few people complaining (who own the 2011 model) of this Phantom Wipe issue up here on ExplorerForums (and we represent a small percentage of Explorer owners), I believe that this may turn out to be a larger issue in the future for 2011 Ford Explorer owners (interesting enough...cropping up right as warranties are expiring! :mad: )

Just like happened to issues that are too common in the 2011 such as wind noise, rain noise, inoperative cooling fans, oil smell upon acceleration, oil film on side windows, MFT issues, etc... And who can forget the steering issues that had to turn into a Safety Recall.

Only time will tell if there was a bad batch of these wiper modules?

P.S. What is a wiper stalk?? The wiper control module within the steering column?

It sounds like it's time to get this in front of them, vurb. Once you've had this diagnosed, I'll be able to step in and assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

FordService, What were you able to do for vurb to assist with their issue?

Is there any chance of Ford covering the replacement module...so soon after a warranty expires?

Peterk ,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Do you know where I may be able to find the verbage within TSB 11-11-12?
I tried to Google Search it but did not come up with the verbiage within.........

P.S. What is a wiper stalk?? The wiper control module within the steering column?
The 'stalk' is the arm you use to turn the wipers ON/OFF and to adjust the speed. It's the control arm, I guess you could say. I believe the module was only for the ones that had the Rain Sensing system.

Peter

The 'stalk' is the arm you use to turn the wipers ON/OFF and to adjust the speed. It's the control arm, I guess you could say. I believe the module was only for the ones that had the Rain Sensing system.

Peter

Thanks for the clarification.

There is no TSB that I'm aware of.

The part was less than $40.

FordService, What were you able to do for vurb to assist with their issue?

Is there any chance of Ford covering the replacement module...so soon after a warranty expires?

Hi jlrohio,

I can't share the outcome of other folks' cases, but if you'd like me to look into ways to assist with your Explorer, reach out to me after you get a diagnosis from a Ford Dealership. I'll be happy to check out some options. :thumbsup:

Crystal

This is happening in my 2012 Explorer. Thanks for the information. We will be trying the wiper switch assembly fix!

Welcome to the Forum rlparris.:wavey:
You say you have a 2012 model but your profile shows 01 xls. If you have both perhaps you can add one to your signature so we will know what model you have in addressing any future concerns.
Good luck with the wiper assembly fix. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.:thumbsup:

Peter

I have both the 01 and 2012 models. I will update my profile. Thanks!

I just joined this forum due to this issue as I am looking for a solution to the problem. My wife has a 2011 Explorer XLT with 50,000 miles and it started the phantom wipe about a week ago. She does not find it funny either. Looks like I will be changing out the wiper stalk. I will keep you posted concerning my attempt to rectify the problem.

I called the local dealer yesterday and they said they haven't had any reports of my problem from anyone else. I'll make sure and let them know there are others having the same problem.

I can sympathize with your wife..... My husband changed out my wiper switch on my 2012 and it now works like a charm. I ordered it from the Ford dealership for about $50.

Welcome to the Forum jcausey.:wavey:
Good luck with your project.:thumbsup:

Peter

I ordered it online

It was around $36 at the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the help. I am picking the part up today from my local Ford Dealer in VA Beach. I'll let you know how it goes. I know my wife is hoping this fixes it. I've already had to change the A/C vent actuator out a few months ago. That was a fun task.....

Back