Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

It has now been merged.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Opinion Requested: Winter Wheels/Tires

Hi, new to the forum. I was thinking of getting a new set of winter wheels and tires for my 2012 Explorer Limited, it's Magnetic Gray. I saw these and thought they looked good. I was thinking 18" with Bridgestone Blizzak 245/60/18. What do you guys think about the look? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

ExplorerwithKonigCrownWheels.jpg

Welcome to the Forum PhilPDX.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing one where you should find some answers.

Peter

For Winter I'm replacing my 20" polished wheels with the plain black 18" steel wheels and a centre cap. I believe the wheels are $104 each. Will be using the 235/60R18 Blizzak DM-V1 tires. Having them installed at the end of the month.

Peter

Blizzaks or Yokaham Ice Guard

Hi All -

Trying to figure out snows for my '15 Sport (20" wheels). I'm going to use the stock wheels as I have a two year lease and buying wheels doesn't make sense to me.

That said, my options are limited - my friendly tire dealer has given me two options:

1. Blizzaks - @$1,300 installed (yikes).

2. Yokahama Ice Guard - @$900

I have loved my Blizzak on other vehicles. Anyone tried one of these brands on their Explorer?

I'm OK spending more if the Blizzaks are really that much better...

Thanks for the feedback.

The iceGUARD iG51v seems to be a fairly new tire. There are no customer reviews on 1010tires.com and only 1 on tirerack.com and it is a very positive one.
I figure it will run me somewhere around $1600 to get the Blizzaks, 18" steel wheels, TPMS sensors and centre caps. I have a 3 year lease and I'm hoping that these will also fit a 2016 Explorer should I get that next.

Peter

Just so you know, I paid $500 for the 4 Cooper Weather Master tires in 245 60 R18. I ordered them from Discount Tire Direct and there was no shipping. They have a good rating, so I'm anxious to see how they perform. But for $125 a tire, I couldn't beat the price.

I bought 4 Cooper Weather-Master WSC winter tires for my XLT. 245 60 R18 same as original size. I received them yesterday but will probably not have them installed until mid-November.

They look good, and look like they should have good bite in snow. Time will tell.

CooperTires-2_zps119c14e8.jpg

[
CopperTires-1_zps4e58b642.jpg

I got the same ones as a package with basic 18" steel rims; here in Alberta having expensive winter rims is just a waste of money.

Really good to wet/dry chilly tarmac (just a bit more noisy that my low profile summer tires), i will keep the forum informed during the season.

I was considering running my 19" Brembo Mustang rims from my old 2012 5.0 however the hub on the Explorer is smaller than the Mustang therefore there is a bit if slack and will need to be centred using the lugs. The dealership said there is no concern however I am worried. Should I be?

Also, is anyone running the interceptor rims and chrome caps? That is my second choice if I sell my Mustang rims.

Thoughts?

"Also, is anyone running the interceptor rims and chrome caps? That is my second choice if I sell my Mustang rims."

I believe that is what I'll be getting. I'm putting the Ford steel 18" wheels and centre caps on my MKT this Wednesday. I'll post a picture when done. The OEM wheels are 20".

Peter

I was considering running my 19" Brembo Mustang rims from my old 2012 5.0 however the hub on the Explorer is smaller than the Mustang therefore there is a bit if slack and will need to be centred using the lugs. The dealership said there is no concern however I am worried. Should I be?

Also, is anyone running the interceptor rims and chrome caps? That is my second choice if I sell my Mustang rims.

Thoughts?

It is not uncommon to have a diameter mismatch between the wheel and hub. Its common when using aftermarket wheels. The solution is to find the proper centering ring. They are plastic and just used to "help" align the wheel during installation. A set is usually less than $20.

I agree with your dealer. If attention is paid and the lug nuts are sequenced in multiple steps you shouldn't have any problem. The lug nuts are tapered, so they self center when you sequence them properly. Also the hub center is not used to support the wheel so a gap is fine.

Got the Blizzak DM-V1 tires and Interceptor 18" wheels installed today along with the TPMS sensors. Hope they will fit the 2016 Explorer if I get that next. Weatherman is calling for possible snow flurries in a couple of days. As for the black wheels, I don't think they look too bad. In any case I prefer functionality over appearance and at $88 each, I'm not complaining.;)

Peter

Attachments

• PA290302_001.JPG
    PA290302_001.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 904
  • PA290304_001.JPG
    PA290304_001.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 856
  • PA290305_001.JPG
    PA290305_001.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 869

Trying to decide between 2 sets of winters for my 2014 Explorer Sport....

Anyone have some opinions of what works best on the explorer? (subjective I know)

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1

Firestone Winterforce UV

I have a buddy that has quoted both to me with wheels and sensors for within less than $100 of each other. Lots of reviews saying Blizzak, but I read good things about the Winterforce too.

Both 1010tires.com and tirerack.com rate the DM-V1 ahead of the Winterforce UV. Tire Rack rates the Blizzak as the #1 tire in the category while the Firestone is #2 . I don't think that you can go wrong with either one. I don't have first hand experience with either brand and only have had the Blizzaks for less than a week.

Peter

So Peter, is that car, the MKT, Lincoln's answer to the Explorer? I think it's built on the same frame as the Flex. Is it AWD like the Explorer?

I don't think it competes with the Explorer. I don't think Lincoln has a competitor in that field and is more of a CUV. It is built on the Flex platform and is 10" longer that the Explorer I had. It is AWD with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine. It has three driver control settings for the ride. Normal, Comfort and Sport. So far I've only used 'Comfort'. Just hope that those wheels will fit a 2016 Explorer.

Peter

Got the Blizzak DM-V1 tires and Interceptor 18" wheels installed today along with the TPMS sensors. Hope they will fit the 2016 Explorer if I get that next. Weatherman is calling for possible snow flurries in a couple of days. As for the black wheels, I don't think they look too bad. In any case I prefer functionality over appearance and at $88 each, I'm not complaining.;)

Peter

Peter,

I had a 2010 MKT, and had an extra set of factory 20" rims. Late last winter I purchase a set of 255/45 R20 Blizzak DM-V1 and had them installed on the MKT in Feb/14 I purchased the 2014 Explorer Sport and kept the rims and tires.

Since we had 12 - 15 cms of snow in Calgary Sat - Sun. i am going to put the 2010 MKT set of rims and the Blizzaks on the 2014 Sport. Checking with the Ford dealer, he thinks I should have no problems putting the MKT rims and tires tire on the Sport as the tire size of the Hancooks are 255/50R 20.

What are your thoughts?

geezerglide

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordered my Interceptor rims today and 255/65R18 Blizzak DM-V1s. Should be fun for the winter driving a look a like Police chase vehicle in Canada. http://imganuncios.mitula.net/2014_..._ebony_in_wooster_ohio_100911202626539957.jpg

I will Zaino the rims big time before they go on, paint the calipers Guards Enamel Red and use stick on weights for balancing. Should provide a safe and effective winter solution.

Back