Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Hankooks are 0.40 inches wider.
Speedometer Difference: 1.331% too slow. Not sure why an increase in tread width would affect the speedo but apparently it does.

If the tires are wider with the same aspect ratio, the diameter would be bigger, thus your speedo will read slow as the revs/mile are lower. I take it you put on 265/65R17's which are 30.6" overall diameter (680 revs/mile), versus the 255/65R17's which have the same 30.1" diameter (691 revs/mile) as the stock 255/50R20's. The difference in revs per mile is ~1.5%.

The 10mm difference in width is 0.4", times the 65% aspect ratio gives 1/4" extra radius, or 1/2" extra diameter. That is why width affects the speedo. For a wider tire, you need a smaller aspect ratio to keep the same diameter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the tires are wider with the same aspect ratio, the diameter would be bigger, thus your speedo will read slow as the revs/mile are lower. I take it you put on 265/65R17's which are 30.6" overall diameter (680 revs/mile), versus the 255/65R17's which have the same 30.1" diameter (691 revs/mile) as the stock 255/50R20's. The difference in revs per mile is ~1.5%.

The 10mm difference in width is 0.4", times the 65% aspect ratio gives 1/4" extra radius, or 1/2" extra diameter. That is why width affects the speedo. For a wider tire, you need a smaller aspect ratio to keep the same diameter.
Looking at his (CDN's) pictures, the Hankook tires are 265/50R20.

Looking at his (CDN's) pictures, the Hankook tires are 265/50R20.

I didn't catch that you were refering to CDN's post and not your own tires. Same thing applies though, the 265/50R20's have a bigger diameter than the stock 255/50R20's by 0.4" which equates to 1.33%.

I didn't catch that you were refering to CDN's post and not your own tires. Same thing applies though, the 265/50R20's have a bigger diameter than the stock 255/50R20's by 0.4" which equates to 1.33%.
No problem Flying68. For my own, I dropped from the 20" to the 245/65R17 for Winter making it a 1.67% diameter difference or a speedo reading 1.689% too fast. I just thought that as long as you maintained the same rim size (20") as in CDN's case, that the speedo would read the same. I guess that assumption was incorrect.

Peter

For those of you needing help, here is a good tire size calculator:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Going from the stock 245/60-18 to my winter setup of 245/65-17 netted a .1 mph difference.
www.1010tires.com will let you compare and display up to 4 different sizes at one time plus it also has an 'offset' calculator. I'm sure there a other sites out there as well. I think the 17" Winters I have on give me a slightly better ride than the OEM 20".

Has anyone had problems changing from the 20" tires on a Limited to 17" or 18" snow tires? I am looking for problems with antilock brakes, onboard computer, etc. This is for a 2012 Limited front wheel drive. :)

Has anyone had problems changing from the 20" tires on a Limited to 17" or 18" snow tires? I am looking for problems with antilock brakes, onboard computer, etc. This is for a 2012 Limited front wheel drive. :)
Had my 20" swapped out with the 17" base steel wheels in late October. No problems encountered and don't expect any.
Welcome to the Forum naztruk. :wavey:

Peter

Hi all.

At the risk of asking a dumb question ... is it necessary to get winter tires with tire pressure sensors for my 2011 Exp XLT?

Cheers

Hi all.

At the risk of asking a dumb question ... is it necessary to get winter tires with tire pressure sensors for my 2011 Exp XLT?

Cheers
Nope! As long as you are okay with driving with the TPMS warning light on all Winter. Apparently, from what I've read, the law only requires them to be installed on the OEM wheels.
I did, however, have them installed on mine.

Peter

I got the BFGoodrich Winter Slalom SKI (245/65R17) at the dealer for $169.45. Same tire at Canadian Tire was listed at $206. Put them on the base model 17" steel wheels. They stored my OEM 20" wheels for $30. The whole package, wheels, tires, TPMS, wheel cover and special lugnuts, balancing, installation, including tax came to arouns $2000. I could have gone without the covers, lugnuts and sensors and saved around $700 including tax but it's only money and I was told I can't take it with me. :D
I also did not know that the parent company of BFG is Michelin. One video review I saw on this tire said it was just one level below the Michelin X-Ice. I also always check www.1010tire.com (a Canadian Site) for customer reviews on various tires. chimoman in N.B. has the same setup.
NOTE: The lugnuts on the OEM 20" wheels will hold the 17" wheels on but not the wheel covers. They require lugnuts with a washer type flange to hold them on.[/QUOTE

Awesome tire. Had no problem in the snow or on ice. Very happy with this setup. Not much noise either

chimoman;2867968.Awesome tire. Had no problem in the snow or on ice. Very happy with this setup. Not much noise either[/QUOTE said:
I agree that they are a fairly quiet tire, but, as for the other, I'll have to take your word for that for now since we haven't really had any ice or snow to try them on yet. Looks like it's going to be a green Christmas here.:(

I agree that they are a fairly quiet tire, but, as for the other, I'll have to take your word for that for now since we haven't really had any ice or snow to try them on yet. Looks like it's going to be a green Christmas here.:(

Just drove back from NS in a little bit of a snow squall. Roads were snow covered and icy. Tires performed extremely well. We have had a couple of storms here since I had them put on. No complaints.

By the way Merry Christmas Peter.

No Idiot light!

Here's my setup, 17" alloys from a 2010 Ford Flex, got these off eBay, they fit perfectly, very hub-centric. For tires, this time around (on other vehicles I have had Blizzaks and Generals and been happy) I chose to support an American company and the North American worker and went with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT SUV. So far I have only driven them on dry roads and have no complaints about handling or noise level compared the OEM Michelins on 18" (I have a 2012 XLT AWD).

Also from eBay I bought OEM Ford TPMS (exact part number for the 2012 Ex). Funny thing is I didn't get the vehicle programmed for them (yet) because I had a local shop do the mount and balance of the winter tire and rim. I plan on a trip to the dealer but haven't had to go, yet, it's been 3 weeks. I say funny (peculiar) because the TPMS warning light has not appeared on my dash. Not sure if this means there is something wrong with my car but I have a theory. My OEM tires/rims are in my garage right near where I park the Ex every night, I'm guessing they are sending out a signal that the Ex picks up and it thinks all is fine. Just a theory, I've read that the tire needs to be spinning for the sensor to send out the signal, so who knows. What I know is that I have plenty of air in the tire and there is no idiot light on the dash.

If it ever snows I can provide a report about the Goodyears.

Jeff

Also from eBay I bought OEM Ford TPMS (exact part number for the 2012 Ex). Funny thing is I didn't get the vehicle programmed for them (yet) because I had a local shop do the mount and balance of the winter tire and rim. I plan on a trip to the dealer but haven't had to go, yet, it's been 3 weeks. I say funny (peculiar) because the TPMS warning light has not appeared on my dash. Not sure if this means there is something wrong with my car but I have a theory. My OEM tires/rims are in my garage right near where I park the Ex every night, I'm guessing they are sending out a signal that the Ex picks up and it thinks all is fine. Just a theory, I've read that the tire needs to be spinning for the sensor to send out the signal, so who knows. What I know is that I have plenty of air in the tire and there is no idiot light on the dash.

Jeff
Hi Jeff. I don't know about the 'spinning' requirement but I have read similar posts on the Toyotanation forum in regards to parking next to the OEM tires and picking up their signal.

Peter

Here's my setup, 17" alloys from a 2010 Ford Flex, got these off eBay, they fit perfectly, very hub-centric. For tires, this time around (on other vehicles I have had Blizzaks and Generals and been happy) I chose to support an American company and the North American worker and went with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT SUV. So far I have only driven them on dry roads and have no complaints about handling or noise level compared the OEM Michelins on 18" (I have a 2012 XLT AWD).

If it ever snows I can provide a report about the Goodyears.

Jeff

I have the same "Issue" or non-issue with mine. My light hasn't come on and I've had my tires on over a month now....of course with no snow.

Here is the quote I got from the dealer today, floored me!

17" wheels $99.95 each
TPMS $59.93 each
Blizzaks 245/65 $272.95 each!

Does not include balancing, etc. +240

Tiretrends sells the Blizzaks for 197.95, but they don't have wheels.

Here is the quote I got from the dealer today, floored me!

17" wheels $99.95 each
TPMS $59.93 each
Blizzaks 245/65 $272.95 each!

Does not include balancing, etc. +240

Tiretrends sells the Blizzaks for 197.95, but they don't have wheels.
I got the 245/65R17 BFGoodrich Winter Slalom KSI through the dealer for 169.45 each (same tire here at Canadian Tire was $206) and the sensors were $56.60 each.Wheels were the same price. A couple of owners in the U.S. have told me that the 17" steelies there are $300 each! There are a few of us using that tire. I'm quite happy with them but haven't really had much snow to test them in. They are fairly quiet.

Peter

Finally called the Tire Rack & after a few questions, tires ordered on Monday 1/2/12. Tires & wheels were available at their CT warehouse, picked them up the same day all mounted and balanced. I went with the TPMS so the wife wouldn't have to worry about low air pressure. Tires are 17" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's and the alloy wheels are Elbrus I02's. Good looking package, now waiting for the snow to fall.

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUMP!!

Looking for OEM 17" or 18" rims with TPMS...anyone know the best place to find these...preferably canada so I Don't have to pay hardcore shipping?

Back