Wiring off-road lights to factory high beam switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring off-road lights to factory high beam switch?

Has anybody done this? I've already got them installed and hooked up to a switch. I want to rewire them so that they come on when I turn the high beams on or when I flip the switch their currently on. Any ideas/help?

With all that help you gave me with the aux reverse lights relay, and you can't figure this out. :nono: :D

Do your lights have a relay?? If so, there should be a wire coming from the switch and going into the relay, to tell the relay to come on. Couldn't you just tap off the positive wire for the high beams and splice it into the relay "turn on" wire. That way when your high beams come on, the relay would see power and turn the off road lights on.

The easiest way to do this is to go buy a "fuse tap" from radio shack and use it to tap into your high beam fuse, then run that to the relay or switch for your lights.

Not sure but I think this is what you mean.
In position 1. The switch is powered by either the high or low beams.
In position 2. The switch is powered by the ignition.
(Could be any wire, I use the w/s wiper wire.)

Attachments

• twoway wiring diagram.jpg
    twoway wiring diagram.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 8,961

Stephen S, yeah I know. I'm getting soft, I was hoping somebody had already done this and could save me some research time.

Jason_25, I think you got the right idea, Thanks.

Bill Kemp, Thanks for the diagram.

When I get around to doing this, I'll let you guys know the details. Thanks again.

Back