Re located High beam driving lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Re located High beam driving lights

I wasn't happy with my High beam driving lights, so I got some round ones and relocated them behind the grill. They do not interfere with airflow.

I installed 155 watt bulbs, and wired a seperate relay for each one, triggered by the high beam headlight circuit. This way they turn off when lights are dimmed, at which time the low beam driving lights in bumper with 55 watt bulbs switch on. They all can be switched off with the stock fog light switch.

You like?

Attachments

• New spotters.jpg
    New spotters.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 439

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very nice. you know this is the first time ive seen your truck other then the rear end when you accelerate away chirping 4 tires.

[QUOTE='97 V8]very nice. you know this is the first time ive seen your truck other then the rear end when you accelerate away chirping 4 tires.[/QUOTE]

He is right, we need some quality comprehensive photographs of your truck!

The lights look good! :thumbsup:

does it make you look like a cop?

I am thinking about putting some lights behind my grille. Do you have some pics of the wiring set up? A write-up would be awesom, they look great! :thumbsup:

-Rich

[QUOTE='97 V8]does it make you look like a cop?[/QUOTE]

When the lever is pulled back---everything lights up.

very effective in short bursts

I will get some, as I am not totally satisfied with the routing direction of wiring.
I'll disassemble and try to take pics as it goes back together.
I actually installed the first set of lights over 3 years ago, and just moved their location. I rerouted wiring just enough to hook these up, in case it didn't meet the critics' approval lol

Al, I am not sure, but isnt the grille opening wider on a mounty than explorer?
The lights are right in front of the 2 curved air deflectors for radiator, using the brackets provided with them.

its wider at the bottom yes :)
fix your wiring you slob!

Just kidding, looks good :)
truck is begging for clear corners now

155 Watts ?!?! Damn !!!

Looking good JT.
Our Merc.s have a lot more room behind the grill than the X's do.
I also have the driving lights wired to come on with the brights. Saves a lot of frantic button pushing when an oncomming car, you hadent noticed, crests a hill.

Abom said:
155 Watts ?!?! Damn !!!

Mine aren't anywhere near as stylish, but on my daily driver, form follows function:

653145.jpg

Had to mount them on a couple of stainless spacers to get the back of the housing to clear the grille:

653147.jpg

Just to give you an idea of the difference 155 watt bulbs make at night:

Low beams:
653138.jpg

High beams:
653140.jpg

Daylighters: (They don't look as impressive, but due to the intensity of the beam, compare the sky on the horizon and notice how much darker it is with the Daylighters. All three photos were taken seconds apart.)
653141.jpg

The two yellow dots are street signs 3/4 of a mile down the road.
653143.jpg

-Joe

my ex has a bunch of room behind the grill, because when I put it back together I left all that plastic mumbo jumbo out, its just a bunch of airflow crap and with a fan and a shroud the air is gonna flow there anyways......my truck runs 210 degrees, even towing with AC on with 33" tires and 3.73 gears......I know the 98+ merc uses a diff header panel and grill but is there really that much more room??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes there is. Compared to my 96X there is a ton more.
I could only fit a set of PIAA 1500's in the grill of the 96 w/no cutting. In the Merc. I fit PIAA 80's without cutting.
I had to put in some "L" brackets to mount the 80's on and its really close to the trans cooler rad. but it all fits and couldnt have been done on the 96X.
If you cut the grill and use brackets for mounting you can get larger lights in the grill of an X as some (I cant remember who but I have seen it here last year) have done.

Back