Re located High beam driving lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Re located High beam driving lights

I wasn't happy with my High beam driving lights, so I got some round ones and relocated them behind the grill. They do not interfere with airflow.

I installed 155 watt bulbs, and wired a seperate relay for each one, triggered by the high beam headlight circuit. This way they turn off when lights are dimmed, at which time the low beam driving lights in bumper with 55 watt bulbs switch on. They all can be switched off with the stock fog light switch.

You like?

Attachments

• New spotters.jpg
    New spotters.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 439

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Notice Jamie, the 98-01 mounty grill is quite a bit wider toward the bottom, where it counts for mounting lights. Where mt lights are would be blocked off by an explorer, or 96-97 mounty grill.

edit
ok not blocked, but there wouldn't be "free air" space all the way around them without moving them closer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just want to see them melt your grill

410Fortune said:
I just want to see them melt your grill

Yeah, I must remember to switch them on only at high speed.
There is clearance, about 1/2".

jtsmith said:
Yeah, I must remember to switch them on only at high speed.
There is clearance, about 1/2".

As long as they're not in direct contact with the plastic, they'll be fine. They're not going to get any hotter than the radiator, and the cooling fan will be running anytime the engine is, so there's a moderate flow of cooling air around them anyways.

-Joe

churd69 said:
I am thinking about putting some lights behind my grille. Do you have some pics of the wiring set up? A write-up would be awesom, they look great! :thumbsup:

-Rich

lol Yeah,a write up would be awesome! lol :D :thumbsup:

Back