• Register Today It's free!

Wiring power seats

Grantshire

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 AWD XLT
Posting this for my son who has a 97 4 door Explorer with manual cloth seats. He found a set of power seats just like his manual seats (not sure what year but they look just like his) and bought them. I am trying to help him mount theses seats in his Explorer. I confess, I am a Jeep guy (older, AMC Jeeps) and don't know a lot about Explorers.

The wiring plug that goes under eash seat on the "new" power seats has two wires. One is black, the other black with a white stripe. What do these hook to (remember, his stock seats are manual so there is not wiring to plug into)? Is one "hot" and the other a ground? Any issues making this work?

Thanks for educating a "Jeep guy".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The black wire is the ground, you can easily merge that into other grounds, or the kick panel ground bolt. The black/white wire is a constant power wire. I hope you got the other half of the connector, so it will all plug in when it's done.

I doubt that there is a decent power wire to tap into among the existing wires. Likely you will need to add a wire(and fuse) to run up to the front, battery or power distribution box. The rating of the fuse is probably about 20-30 amps in other vehicles. Good luck,

I had cloth manual seats in my explorer. I found some very nice leather seats, front and back seats for $250 bucks. I grounded the black wire. I then used a connector to make the black & white wire reach the fuse box. You have to remove the molding or trim at the door ( i dunno the name of the molding). I then simply rapped the wire around the radio fuse and stuck it back into the fuse panel. I done this about a year and a half ago. At first I popped 2 fuses within a 4 month period. I thought I had better just run it on out closer to the battery but I haven't popped a fuse since. It's been well over a year and no problems. I even enjoy the lumbar support! Hope this helps you!

Thanks guys, the information is a big help and confirms what I had surmised. I will run a seperate wire from the panel with its own fuse to power the seats (both on the same fuse). I do have the plug; wires were snipped about two feet panel side of the plug.

Thanks again for the help.:thumbsup:

... I do have the plug; wires were snipped about two feet panel side of the plug.

Thanks again for the help.:thumbsup:
Excellent, it's an easy task.

Back