• Register Today It's free!

manual to power seats

daexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer 4x4
i have a 99 explorer with manual seats, there are currently two wires underneath the seat that i assume run to the little indicator on the on the seat belt latch, could i use these wires to power the motors on powered seats.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a harness that attaches to the power seat track, not sure those two wires will work. The track alone is around 75 dollars, harness 35 dollars, and trim with switches about 30 dollars all from a salvage yard or e-bay. You also have to make sure you have the power seat module which is very expensive.

There's a harness that attaches to the power seat track, not sure those two wires will work. The track alone is around 75 dollars, harness 35 dollars, and trim with switches about 30 dollars all from a salvage yard or e-bay. You also have to make sure you have the power seat module which is very expensive.

???

you will have a red wire, and black wire IIR coming out of the seat. that is the main power for the set. if you want power seats and your truck doesnt have them now, all you need to do is run one wire for power, and one for ground providing you are not putting power memory seats in. you should be able to pick up a complete seat from a salvage yard for anywhere from 25-50 depending if they are cloth or leather.
if you dont have the correct connectors, you can always go to a parts store and buy a male/female end connector ans splice it in.

when i bought a set of almost new, leather, 6-way power w/power lumber seats (i believe they were out of a '97 Limited) for my '54 F100, the driver's seat had a metal box under it with lots of wires. the passenger seat just had 2 wires. i ran power and ground to the passenger seat and it worked perfectly. i couldn't figure out how to make the driver's seat work with the metal box, so i removed it and just wired it like the passenger seat. then it worked just fine. don't know what the box was.

when i bought a set of almost new, leather, 6-way power w/power lumber seats (i believe they were out of a '97 Limited) for my '54 F100, the driver's seat had a metal box under it with lots of wires. the passenger seat just had 2 wires. i ran power and ground to the passenger seat and it worked perfectly. i couldn't figure out how to make the driver's seat work with the metal box, so i removed it and just wired it like the passenger seat. then it worked just fine. don't know what the box was.

As I undertand it, that was part of the memory seats.

I "think" there is a sort of how to on installing memory seats into a vehicle without it. I also know Bandit Customs does that type of conversion.

~Mark

As I undertand it, that was part of the memory seats.

I "think" there is a sort of how to on installing memory seats into a vehicle without it. I also know Bandit Customs does that type of conversion.

~Mark

that's what i figured it must have been.

???

you will have a red wire, and black wire IIR coming out of the seat. that is the main power for the set. if you want power seats and your truck doesnt have them now, all you need to do is run one wire for power, and one for ground providing you are not putting power memory seats in. you should be able to pick up a complete seat from a salvage yard for anywhere from 25-50 depending if they are cloth or leather.
if you dont have the correct connectors, you can always go to a parts store and buy a male/female end connector ans splice it in.

25-50 for a seat? Here in Cali I can't find one for less than 150 dollars. I was looking at mine this morning and it has one set of wires that are both black going into the power seat. I don't see a black/red wires anywhere. Wonder if it's year specific.

25-50 for a seat? Here in Cali I can't find one for less than 150 dollars. I was looking at mine this morning and it has one set of wires that are both black going into the power seat. I don't see a black/red wires anywhere. Wonder if it's year specific.

OUCH, $150 for a a used 15 year old seat? I got both of mine for $70, mine where light saddle leather, with bolster, and lumbar, full power, got the seat belts, track, and everything.

Back on Topic though,all the seat needs is a positive, and a ground wire. That's it, all the control,is in the seat it's self. I am uncertain, but I am fairly sure that the wires you are talking about are for the seat belt light. You will need to run your own 12, or 10 gauge wire for positive, and make sure it is fused, you can run your own for the negative, but I think you can get away with doing a short run with a wire, and using a self taper onto some sanded off sheet metal. You can also get some plugs from Autozone, advanced, but the best ones I found where at my Local Ace Hardware, they are weather pack plugs meant for trailers, and I believe they are 12 gauge. You will have to do this since you do not have the actual plug from the factory, or you can just cut the plug at the floor at the junk yard, and splice your own wires in. It is up to you really. Good luck, it really isn't that hard, unless you are like me and want everything to be perfect...

OUCH, $150 for a a used 15 year old seat? I got both of mine for $70, mine where light saddle leather, with bolster, and lumbar, full power, got the seat belts, track, and everything.

Back on Topic though,all the seat needs is a positive, and a ground wire. That's it, all the control,is in the seat it's self. I am uncertain, but I am fairly sure that the wires you are talking about are for the seat belt light. You will need to run your own 12, or 10 gauge wire for positive, and make sure it is fused, you can run your own for the negative, but I think you can get away with doing a short run with a wire, and using a self taper onto some sanded off sheet metal. You can also get some plugs from Autozone, advanced, but the best ones I found where at my Local Ace Hardware, they are weather pack plugs meant for trailers, and I believe they are 12 gauge. You will have to do this since you do not have the actual plug from the factory, or you can just cut the plug at the floor at the junk yard, and splice your own wires in. It is up to you really. Good luck, it really isn't that hard, unless you are like me and want everything to be perfect...

70 bucks for 2 seats with everything included, I know where I'm shopping the next time I need a part for my X. I just double checked and there are 2 plugs under my seat, one plug to the seat, and one plug to the seat belt. All are black wires.

so i got the power seats in and they are working smoothly, but now the original wire that was connected to my manual seats (which turns out to be the sensor for the airbags ) with out these wires being hooked up the srs light is now :( if i tie these wires back into the new wires i set up for the power seats will it make the light go away

Back