Wiring through door jams?

NicksExplorations

Reaction score
City, State
somerset
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS 4x4 Ford Explodr
Hey guys.

So, I got a new rough country lightbar. it's 50 inches, and i've got a aftermarket roof rack. I've got the steel and I'm going to just weld a bracket to fit onto the roof rack since it's only 37 inches wide.

My problem is though, I'm really, really, really trying to avoid drilling holes into my vehicle. I've avoided it by making a bracket to put the lightbar onto the roof rack, but my problem is how i'm going to wire it.
I've seen in other threads people taking the wires and feeding them down through the door jams? Sadly all the threads are pretty old and the pictures aren't available in them anymore so I'm not exactly sure how they're saying to do it. Could some please explain? Kinda stuck here, and it's driving me nuts. If it looks sorta ghetto thats honestly okay. I'm just extremely opposed to drilling.

I've got a 2004 xls explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How far back from the a pillar is the front of the rack?
Just use some adhesive cable clips and fill your boots

How far back from the a pillar is the front of the rack?
Just use some adhesive cable clips and fill your boots
8GVDMTY.jpg

cCripVJ.jpg

Heres some pictures
So by filling your boots you do mean in the door jam right? Sorry lol, most things make sense with this stuff, but wiring is kinda hard to understand for me :p

If somebody wanted to make a little rough diagram on paint that would help. Hopefully help other people that also have this question as well

Yeah I'm the same, I just ordered a 42" to mount on my basket and definitely don't want to drill in to the roof, once mine gets in I'll mess around with it a little and let you know if I come up with anything.

I have been curious about these light bars. I used to want to get one but thought would I really use it. So, do people that mount these actually use them and what do they use them for. Or, is it just a fashion statement type of accessory?

I have been curious about these light bars. I used to want to get one but thought would I really use it. So, do people that mount these actually use them and what do they use them for. Or, is it just a fashion statement type of accessory?
For me personally it's just style, the one I got changes color and does some other cool stuff, but there are some practical purposes depending on where you live. It's really good for poorly lit back roads at night time, but really just a matter of your usage I guess.

For me personally it's just style, the one I got changes color and does some other cool stuff, but there are some practical purposes depending on where you live. It's really good for poorly lit back roads at night time, but really just a matter of your usage I guess.
If you haven't got it mounted yet, i took it to line x (was kinda shoved into a corner, really just wanted it done.) they did it without drilling, so i'll post some pictures later of how they ran the wiring without drilling so nobody else has to pay anybody to wire. Ended up 150 in the hole, but honestly I just wanted it done at this point. I had the bar laying around for almost two months so.

Since i've had it installed, i've used it a lot. Most of the time i'm driving, it's a night and here in kentucky deer are pretty damn bad. It's mad me a feel a lot better, i spot them a lot better now that i have this bar.

Since i've had it installed, i've used it a lot. Most of the time i'm driving, it's a night and here in kentucky deer are pretty damn bad. It's mad me a feel a lot better, i spot them a lot better now that i have this bar.

I was curious if that was one of the reasons. My luck I would get pulled over. I wouldn't mind one but I don't want it to be obvious. I have seen some low profile ones but not sure if they would have the same power to put light out like the big ones.

If you haven't got it mounted yet, i took it to line x (was kinda shoved into a corner, really just wanted it done.) they did it without drilling, so i'll post some pictures later of how they ran the wiring without drilling so nobody else has to pay anybody to wire. Ended up 150 in the hole, but honestly I just wanted it done at this point. I had the bar laying around for almost two months so.
Yeah I haven't had a chance yet, just been sitting in my back seat, I have a local line x so I might run it down there, thanks for the idea

Back