• Register Today It's free!

Won't stay running......

Sdrt101

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
My wife's 99 sport has a problem staying running. It happens approximately once or twice a week. It always starts fine, but when this happens you must keep your foot on the gas or it will die. She will keep doing this until it finally stays running.
It use to happen in the morning when she left to work. Now that she backs the truck in and leaves it facing down hill it hasn't happened in the driveway since. Now it happens leaving work or at the store etc..
We have had the fuel system cleaned a couple of times. It seems okay for a short while and then back to the same old thing. It always starts very well and runs very well. Why it chooses to do this sometimes I have no idea. Any ideas. I am just a little hesitant to take it to someone and have them start guessing up a bill. Thanks a bunch.............Sdrt101

It's the IAC. THe Idle Air valve is sticking. My 2002 XLT was doing exactly the same thing. It would start then die immediately unless I held the gas pedal at about 800 rpm. Lift my off off the gas and boom, it dies.

Part: $90
Labor (Ford dealer): $90

Maybe try pulling off the IAC vent knob and using some WD40 inside the controller. might help.....

Randy

BigR said:
Labor (Ford dealer): $90
:eek:

IAC takes about 5 minutes to uninstall and reinstall! I was having a similar problem on mine and I cleaned the IAC with electric parts cleaner. It has worked fine now for over a year.

Back