Profromance brakes

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
Okay, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a set of bigger drilled and slotted brakes for my 00 ex. I also have a question, if the 99/01 limiteds that had the 16s had bigger brakes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found them on rockauto

the 02-04 sport and sport tracs had larger front rotors
You would need the knuckles from one of these trucks, the mounting holes for the calipers are spaced further out allowing the larger rotor
Knuckles are mounted with ball joints so its a good idea to replace the upper and lower ball joints at the same time
After that you can then run the larger 02-04 explorer sport/sport trac front rotors
the calipers and pads are the same parts/no change

I am NOT SURE if they sell the larger front rotors with a drilled/slotted/ performance option

EDIT, actually it looks like they do. The 02-04 trucks use a 12" diameter rotor up front:

the earlier trucks (95-01) use a 11.2" diameter rotor

Ditto, all you need is the later spindle for your truck type(2WD or 4WD). Then you order the rotors for that later Sport Trac etc. Below you can see the only difference in the spindle, is the distance from the caliper mounting holes, to the hub holes. The old calipers bolt right on.

SportTracRotor01.JPG

Ditto, all you need is the later spindle for your truck type(2WD or 4WD). Then you order the rotors for that later Sport Trac etc. Below you can see the only difference in the spindle, is the distance from the caliper mounting holes, to the hub holes. The old calipers bolt right on.

View attachment 372009
Been curious about this swap for a while, but I'm a RWD guy and I seem to only see 4WD knuckles available online and 4WD Sport Tracs in the salvage yard. I know the base ST's supposedly were RWD -- can anyone confirm they've seen or owned one? If they're out there, they must be very uncommon (at least in the midwest).

They are out there but yes the knuckles are a rare part as most of them are 4wd of some sort. The first time I ever saw a rwd explorer was when I moved to Idaho I did not even notice the 2001 v8 explorer I bought was rwd until I was putting it on the trailer, in 20+ years of wrenching on these in co I never saw a rwd

The 02-04 sports and tracs were sold in rwd those parts are out there. I have two sets of rwd knuckles but they are from 98-01 trucks and use the 11.2” rotor

If I keep it long enough, I will get around to this swap! I want me some of them Profro Brakes!

I may also drop from a 265/75R16 to the stock 255/70R16 to get a slight increase in Profromance.

They are out there but yes the knuckles are a rare part as most of them are 4wd of some sort. The first time I ever saw a rwd explorer was when I moved to Idaho I did not even notice the 2001 v8 explorer I bought was rwd until I was putting it on the trailer, in 20+ years of wrenching on these in co I never saw a rwd

The 02-04 sports and tracs were sold in rwd those parts are out there. I have two sets of rwd knuckles but they are from 98-01 trucks and use the 11.2” rotor
It's a relief to know they're as rare as I thought. I've been checking the STs at my local yard for years and I've never seen an RWD truck. Started thinking they might just not exist. The lower quantity of RWD trucks is surely why there is no aftermarket supply of spindles.

I didn't realize the '01-'03 sports had the bigger rotors as well -- I'll start checking those too from now on.

It's funny how regional 4WD vs. RWD vehicles can be. Growing up in Missouri, it seemed trucks were about 50/50, but when I moved to Wisconsin folks here were shocked I had an RWD Explorer. A couple times I got an "I didn't even know they made RWD Explorers!" Coworkers always ask why I commute in the snow in my Civic instead of my Explorer...

Back