would 16's fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

would 16's fit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

should fit.. depending on your own x, might be rubbing, but i doubt it.

I have 255/70 R16 on my 97 Sport, I think that everything would be the same for a 96.

the sports for the most part came with the 16s. some came with 15s. however all the xlts except the 99 and 00 with the sports package came with 15s. i heard the dealers saying something about suspensice and flares being different about the eb and ltd that allows them to have 16s. i just think itz bs and the 16s should fit without much of a problem

Originally posted by jssong
the sports for the most part came with the 16s. some came with 15s. however all the xlts except the 99 and 00 with the sports package came with 15s. i heard the dealers saying something about suspensice and flares being different about the eb and ltd that allows them to have 16s. i just think itz bs and the 16s should fit without much of a problem

actually, the number of sports with 15's and 16's is prolly 50/50 (and before 97, with the exception of the "expedition" model, they all came with 15's.)

anyway, to answer alphabets13's question, yes, 16's will fit fine on your truck. you may want to give some though to tire size, though, going too big with tires could make your speedo read "off", but you should be fine if you stay close to the overall diameter of the stock tires...or you can always change out the speedo gear if you want bigger tires and still want the speedo to read correctly.

yeah i think the sports are made for 16's just not sure of xlt's at least 96 xlt's.

I have 18s on mine, so yes 16s would fit. In fact I believe you can go up to 21. Tire size is the main factor though.

--Don

I have 16's. The only thing you may have to worry about is backspacing.

what about backspacing? what would i have to do?

I have the EB 255/70/16s on my Limited which originally came with the 235/75/15s stock. I have not adjusted the TBs or anything, it is stock height. I only get rubbing with big bumps while turning and when reversing and turning hard. It isn't enough to even begin to worry about.

You should be fine

Robb

i believe my old 96 eb came with 255/70/16, or could have been 255/75/60. but i put on 265/70/16 on for a bit with no rubbing at all

thanks for the replies. what do you guys think i should do? should i get the bigger rims or get bigger tires on my 15's? i don't know

Originally posted by alphabets13
thanks for the replies. what do you guys think i should do? should i get the bigger rims or get bigger tires on my 15's? i don't know

personally, i dont think going from a 15" wheel to a 16" wheel is worth it. if you want bigger rims, dont go smaller than 17's, but if you want big tires on your truck, then keep the 15's and put the money into tires. it depends on what youre going after...offroad?...street?..or just looks?

i'm probably just going for looks. i would like the look of a bigger tire, especially since i'm putting fender flares on. i just don't want a bigger tire like 31's and have to sacrifice any ride quality. maybe people with 31's could give me some input. i really don't worry about handling as much as ride comfort. does a bigger tire effect the comfort?

Not at all, i have 32s and it rides like it did witht he factory tires on it, it will not affect your ride quality at all..

Yeah, I too think you should go up to 17's.

I would stick with the 15s. 17s with 31" tires would look a little silly IMO. I would guess that if you are going to 31"s, you are not looking to go for the "streeter" look. Am I wrong on that? Most that go to 31"s are looking for a good all-terrain tire, which I think would look better with the 15s.

Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no, i'm not really going for a sport look at all. i was just thinking 16' rims for a fuller look, but if i can achieve the same thing with my 15's and not sacrifice anything, then thats what i'm looking for.

Back