XLT style running boards, Bedlined | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

XLT style running boards, Bedlined

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
I've been doing a little searching and have found that the XLT style running boards are not hard to take off, but I haven't found anything about putting them back on. My plan is to take them off, grind the rust off, and cover both boards with bedliner, then put them back on. How hard is it to get these things back on? Is it even worth it or should i just use a spray bedliner with them still attached to the truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should have no problems taking them off, but you might want someone there when you put them back...

I probably should have mentioned that, I have plenty of help if I need any.

You'll need it and eye protection... it's pretty easy to do. (Hint: This might be a good time to add new bolts and clips - don't cost much)

What should i use to coat these? Would spray-on be thick enough or do i need to go roll-on?

Hmm.... check the body work and detailing forum.

Already Done It

Dude you should use the search there is a thread already like this
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194547
You don't necessarily have to take off the whole running board piece you can take off the black plastic step by getting underneath and using a deep 8mm socket, then you can spray it alone instead of trying to take the whole unit off. But if you want to get to the rust then yes you need to take if off usually its around the dog legs and sometimes rocker panel.

hmm... those are Limited, he has XLT. Wait, which XLT, body or tube? This should be interesting. (Nice, Person 21, that looks professional and very clean!)

You can see my running boards in my sig picture. I just picked up 2 cans of Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating for $8.49 each.
product_image.ashx

I plan on doing this within the next week, whenever it stops raining.

Dude you should use the search there is a thread already like this

Dude thanks for the advice dude, I had no idea there was a search function.

And Donner, you can see my boards in the link in my sig. They are tube style and say "Explorer" on the step part.

sorry buddy i thought you had an limited seeing how dumbass ford was to cheap to continue using the matching trim style running boards any way yeah i would suggest you take them off, when i did mine (btw that thread is not mine) i accidently messed up the first time and hand to sand the sucker back to flat that took all of 1 hour so i suggest you take it off mask it up real good and then paint away i would suggest 2 cans of truck bed liner, and one can of clear coat to get a more shiny look.

Daaaam! That's a sweet Ex there! Are you doing just the pads or the entire tube? I have a set of those, the oem pair. In the garage...

I'm doing the entire tube, there is some surface rust that I have to get off with a sanding/grinding wheel, then each board is getting covered completely.

The boards are off & sprayed. There were only 12 bolts per side, came off quick with air tools. I ended up taking the plastic step piece off before I sprayed because it cleaned up nicely and I didn't see the point in bedlining tough plastic. The truck looks higher without the boards but a lot of frame is showing, I don't know if I like that too much.

Welll...

The truck does look more higher with out boards many people, including me, have just taken the boards off. Some people just bedline the rocker panels and some of the dog leg. While others just leave it the way it is. Since you don't have the trim piece there will be no holes in your rockers. And if you really wanted to look into this you could by rocker sliders/guards. bascially its steel tubing that provides a step and something you can come down hard on while on the rocks. Just some options

Here's one of them:
05-21-08_1241.jpg

^ I had to slice the front plastic cap off way back when I put the new tires on. I cut the end off so it's just the round piece but I haven't figured out a way to put it back on.

And here's my truck with no running boards:
05-21-08_1242.jpg

The boards are very nice! However, the truck is bad@ss!! You really don't need the rails on there. (And you don't need to put the end cap back on the rail) My choice, I would use the rails when needed, but they would stay off otherwise. Excellent, just excellent!

Back