Yellowford's 93 budget rig | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yellowford's 93 budget rig

Picked up this 93 to be my winter ride/ wheeler, after selling my last v8 Explorer to get a better dd with way better gas mileage it was time to find something to drive in the snow and wheel. This is where it begins a $500 Explorer sport.

Specs
4.0L v6
M50D
Electric shift 1354
Stupid auto hubs
Open diffs front and rear 3.27:(

Budget Tracking
$500 Explorer
$20 starter soleniod
$35 Water pump
$10 Antifreeze

Hoping to get this ready to drive by halloween for smorr, currently trying to figure out a starter problem, the only way to start it right now is push starting and popping the clutch. Also it has a coolant leak I need to track down once its running. The doors have the typical first gen doop pin problems. The interior needs a good cleaning, possibly do the Joedirt cleaning method. Drivers side door has no interior panel and the window is not on the track at all.

Plans are to get it running good first, add recovery points, cut fenders, then find some tires to throw on it and go wheeling.

Couple pics, not very good since it sitting in the garage right now:(
SANY0697.jpg

dirty interior
SANY0698.jpg

SANY0699.jpg

Currently has B2 wheels with 30x9.5 on the back and some 235/75s on the front with the factory wheels
SANY0701.jpg

Think this is the only Ex without a saggy back end, currently it sits about 2in higher than the front and the front has some weird air shocks inside the coil springs that can be aired up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That can be cleaned up and made very nice. For the price you got a great deal.

Nice Find:thumbsup:

But like alotta things one thing is going to lead to another and so on

then pretty soon you are saying budget? what Budget?:D

Good luck with it

Awesome find!

What are the plans (besides the ones you stated) before Halloween?

For a budget build......

I think there are a set of f-150 shock towers for sale in Humboldt cheap.
A local spring shop could re-arch those springs 3" for $100.
I believe I know where a used suspension lift is for sale for cheap.

I know where a used set of 31"x15"x13.5" Boggers (beat to hell) for $80 are, if you need a set to use for Smorr...:)

Also know where a full set of 35"x13.5" Boggers (half life), on a set of 15"x10" alloy old school slots for $500.

PLUS...I know where a set of powder coated 15"x10" silver eagle alloys are for $200.

Were going to have to get you geared asap. Anything over 31" are going to be hell on it with those 3.27's.

Awesome find!

What are the plans (besides the ones you stated) before Halloween?

For a budget build......

I think there are a set of f-150 shock towers for sale in Humboldt cheap.
A local spring shop could re-arch those springs 3" for $100.
I believe I know where a used suspension lift is for sale for cheap.

I know where a used set of 31"x15"x13.5" Boggers (beat to hell) for $80 are, if you need a set to use for Smorr...:)

Also know where a full set of 35"x13.5" Boggers (half life), on a set of 15"x10" alloy old school slots for $500.

PLUS...I know where a set of powder coated 15"x10" silver eagle alloys are for $200.

Were going to have to get you geared asap. Anything over 31" are going to be hell on it with those 3.27's.

Got it running today, and started to change the water pump.

Probably just going to run 31's on it for awhile until it can be regeared eventually. Might even just stay on 31's and lock it front and rear. Thinking manual locking hubs are also in order as the auto's dont seem like they will hold up to my driving style.

The only suspension lift I even want to consider is some leveling springs for the front as mine are shot and the rear of this thing sits high for some reason. Eventually it will get built to tackle some serious trails but for now it just needs to run and be reliable for the winter, wheeling second:rolleyes:. Who I'm kinding no way thats going to happen.

Nice ride, weird maroon interior.

The Sports are great off-road, even stock with the short wheelbase and maybe a little lift. 3.27's are okay with the manual and 235's or 30x9.50s. The auto hubs do fine with smaller tires, but if you're going bigger you can get some dough for them in working shape rather than bust them and then going to manuals.

I'd say all you really need is 4 matching size tires to go wheeling. Get it all ship shape and then add on the cool stuff as budget allows and you find deals.

Nice ride, weird maroon interior.

The Sports are great off-road, even stock with the short wheelbase and maybe a little lift. 3.27's are okay with the manual and 235's or 30x9.50s. The auto hubs do fine with smaller tires, but if you're going bigger you can get some dough for them in working shape rather than bust them and then going to manuals.

I'd say all you really need is 4 matching size tires to go wheeling. Get it all ship shape and then add on the cool stuff as budget allows and you find deals.

I know all about wheeling a short wheel base rig with horrible gears my old wrangler only had 3.07 gears and I shoved 31's on it.

Got the water pump finished up with no leaks, getting closer to being driveable.

NOTE:
Do not leave me alone with cutting tools and a body that looks like it could use some work. Got tired of scraping to put the pump on and decided to pull the rear flares off to see what was hiding, well there was some rust and my cut off wheel was just sitting there, so sheet metal got cut. This is just the begging there will be way more getting cut off I'm sure.
P092810002.jpg

For reliability , forsure get rid of auto hubs, they will fail when you most need them., 2in coils will do great for it. Make sure 5spd not leaking from rubber upper plugs, good idea to change that fluid promptly. With stockish suspension we have run cheaper 1350 Manual Tcase with good luck, 1354 more nessecary if flexy suspension TTB longarm or sas.

For reliability , forsure get rid of auto hubs, they will fail when you most need them., 2in coils will do great for it. Make sure 5spd not leaking from rubber upper plugs, good idea to change that fluid promptly. With stockish suspension we have run cheaper 1350 Manual Tcase with good luck, 1354 more nessecary if flexy suspension TTB longarm or sas.

Auto hubs are deffinitely one of the main things to do, guess I should look into the plugs on the tranny, remember hearing something about that. For now the auto shift transfer case is staying as I've seen Mark and Jon's rigs do fine with them for the time being.

Today started to install my tow hooks off the old Explorer and ran into a problem, 1st gen frames are a pain to mount tow hooks on. Started drilling one hole and now the drills dead.
said tow hooks
SANY0708.jpg

Started customizing the front bumper after the drill died
SANY0705.jpg

SANY0706.jpg

Can anybody guess what I have this switch wired up to
SANY0702.jpg

SANY0704.jpg

a horn that plays "dixie" ? :p:

ejection seat!

The starter?

bingo, for some reason it wasn't working when cranking the ignition so the decision was made for a push button starter, that and their just cool.

a horn that plays "dixie" ? :p:

Not a bad idea, then the only problem is people don't actually move they just turn and look for the general.

Did you only say that cause I live in KS:p:

ejection seat!

:scratch:Thinkin now, doesn't sound to hard a high pressure paintball tank attatched to some air cylinders.

Hmm... I know where 2 power tanks are located, between them that would be one hell of an ejection seat.

Now thats thinkin with your dipstick JIMMY!(Eric)

I'm sure the dakota wouldn't miss them at all:p:.

Been doing a little bit of work on this thing lately, got the front bumper finished with tow hooks mounted and put the flipped hitch off my old Explorer on it.
Tried using some heep springs up front to gain some more flex but they turned out to be way to soft, ended up lowering even with being 4in longer than the factory ones. Luckily found some lift springs on trs and am waiting the arival of those now.
P100410001.jpg

Went and picked these up today.
P100710003.jpg

thats 3 33's shoved inside a mustang
P100710004.jpg

only seem a little oversized

Hopefully going to get insurance and tags on it tomorrow so it can be street legal and get the bugs worked out of it.

SMORR list
find 2 more 33's(done)
mount 33's(done)
insurance and tags(done)
new head lights/fix wiring with them
new serpentine belt(bought just need to install)
install lift coils(still waiting on these)
trim fenders(done)
fix drivers window
wire light for liscense plate
quick discos for the front(have everything from old heep just need to go put on)
remove rear sway bar
remount rear shocks to get more travel(probably waiting till after smorr)
fix front shock mount

Sure theres more but hopefully all of this will get done and SMORR will be on

Your list is doable for making the Halloween meet. Shock remount looks like the hardest thing to do. Are you going to place them where the sway bar tabs are on the axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

someone that's moving to kansas has one too, they won't even be home to miss it most of the time:D

Meet my Home Security System;)

http://www.*****aboutobama.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/chuck-norris1.jpg

Back