yet another motor swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

yet another motor swap

ok yall. i used the search and i couldnt answer my question. my friend is selling a 5.0 302 straight out of a 87 stang GT for $100 it has balls and all. but i was wondering would the stock tranny bolt up to this moto or if it soesnt could i get a bronco and take the tranny and the transfer case. would my stock transfer case bolt up to the bigger tranny. i doubt it. i guess the main question i have is would a bronco's tranny bolt up to a 302 5.0. i want to keep it 4x4. if there is no way this could work, then ill just performance the crap outta my 4.0 ad force itto be a 332 (that number sounds cooll enough)

jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um no the stock transmission won't work. If ya find a bronco with a 302, you should be able to pull the trans and t-case and be in good shape. when talking bolt patterns to a 302... a 302 is a 302 for the common ones, such as stang and bronco.

thank you so much. that info is really useful.

jason

When I first read this I was going to tell you in no way will it fit in your rig at all, and then find out where the guy with 302 is and buy it for myself. But I have a 351 in mine now, so why go back. Find a Bronco 2 with a c-5. Buy the tranny. Now find a c-4 off a 302, buy the bell housing and flex plate. Now put it all together. The c-5 will bolt right up to your transfercase.

ok
how did you get a 351 in your ex. tell me cause nobody ever did and that is what i want more than the 302 but i was looking at this one site, a replacment site, and on a 91 bronco they had three engins a 4.9 v6 300, a 5.0 v8 302, and the 5.7 i think v8 351. would it be possable that the 4.9 v6 fit better than the 5.0 v8. ill have less HP but it will fit better right.

jason

After having the torque of the v-8, I would not want a 6.

A 351W is a little harder to fit. I put in a 302 first, but found out the engine had issues. The 351W will not let you keep your A/C. I think I have video of the engine, but no pics. I can take some so you can see how it all fits in there. It is kinda tight, but it looks good in there. I have a body lift also, if you looked at the pic, so it helps out. I mounted everything up higher in the frame. None of the drivetrain , other than the axles, are below the frame at any point.

if i put the 302 on itwill i have to have a body lift or no

jaosn

The 4.9L is an Inline 6 cyl. (I6 instead of V6). It will not fit.
You will need at least a 2" body lift to fit the 302 without serious modifcation to the firewall.

Originally posted by NOTAJP
The 4.9L is an Inline 6 cyl. (I6 instead of V6). It will not fit.
You will need at least a 2" body lift to fit the 302 without serious modifcation to the firewall.

a 4.9 will fit but it takes a lot of modification of the firewall and what not. it's more work than it's worth Some people can throw a 302 in with only bending back an edge on the firewall, but a body lift makes it easier, as all explorers work out differently

Even with the body lift I had to cut and bend that seam. The exhaust would hit it, or the bell housing. It was a ***** with the engine sitting in there, so cut and bend first.

It depends greatly on what engine mounts you use as well....the firewall seam will get some bending and the heater box gets notched quite a bit.

The front serpentine dress fort he 5.0L will help a great deal, normally the radiator support needs alot of work and a custom rad is used......

351 and 302 are basically the same size, both small blocks..

5.0L is plenty of power, easy to get more power, and fits easier (been done more)

The FMS headers work awesome in an Ex but a custom Y pipe is needed........

Thats just the tip of the iceberg.....

I used the front serpentine setup on my 351.

I mounted a new s-10 radiator in front of the core support, behind the grill. It is not noticable at all. I used be cool dual electic fans mounted on the inside of the core support. I did cut the opening larger, but that was it.

351 and a 302 are the same block, but the heads and intake are different. A 351w is a little more than 2 inch's wider than a 302.

As for power, if you talk torque, the 351 has more. The 302 will rev higher, and can be built for more HP, but I am sure Ford knows what they are doing when they put the 351W in their trucks and skipped the 302. Torque.

Carbed or EFI???

Did you keep A/C? TRanny Cooler?

It can get real crowded behind that grill............

Thats what I just noticed on your other post, I used a carb. I know how to repair and work on them, and I do not have any sensors to worry about.

The tranny cooler is still in the stock location, so it is on the other side of the radiator compared to stock.

If I got real inventive with sheet metal I suppose I could get the a/c box back in there, but I am an off-roader and it is not a daily driver.

You said you worked on wiring, I have a question for you.

It appears that there are about 3 or 4 sensors that connect to the computer to tell it when the 4 low can be engaged. i tore that computer out. I still have the electronics in back on the drivers side ( that is the box that actually turns the motor for 4 low). My question is, what wires do I have to ground or put voltage on to make that box in back think all is good, and switch into 4 low? 4 high works fine, but to get 4 low I have to manually switch the transfercase.

Have you had any dealings with this at all?

For 4 low as you know the truck must be in Neautral.

Does your tranny have a neautral safety switch?

If it does you need to hook up the electronic shift wire that is coming out of your firewall (main harness, drivers side, near brake booster) to the neautral safety switch...

Then the elctric touch drive should work again.

HOWEVER I willhave to do some looking up on this with my diagrams at home, because I believe the computer is hooked to the neau swich, then the computer tells the electronic 4x4 its okay (the EEC-IV actually has a electric shift output, even the Mustangs believe it or not have this pin...hehehehe)

OR we can find the wire coming from the shift controller (Box) and hook it up to a dummy switch, so it would be up to you to fool it into thinking its in N. (similar to what you were thinking)

The other option is to bypass the controller (Box) and figure out the wiring going to the motor itself. I mean its a motor with like 8 wires, and I know it has a power (+), ground (-), signal for neu, signal for high, signal for low, and a 2wd.....

So it is possible to send either a 12V + or a 12V - to the correct wire (series of manual toggle switches, relays, 3 pos switch, whatever) to make the shift motor move.

Last oiption is to ditch the electric T case and go manual, but personally I love the touchdrive and after 245K miles on my 88 I have only cleaned the shift motor once, it works perfect every time, like new.

Now email me what you are thinking and we can get this working.

Also what year 351 do you have in there?

We can get your tach, oil, temp, cruise control, everyhting working possibly depending on your 351 and how far you want to take it.....

:)

jamiefortune@lerchbates.com

Its a 78. I have the oil pressure and the water temp. The only thing I do not have is the a/c, cruise, and the electric switch. Oh yeah, the tach is not hooked up. How would you fool it to work on a v-8?

There might be more than 8 wires, I remember a bunch. The light for 4 low comes out on the wiring harness by the brake booster, but that is the only wire from that motor that goes upfront.

I thought the speed sensor was also in on the switching. if you were rolling it would not go into 4 low until you stopped, otherwise I could be doing 50 in 4 high, hit neutral, and push the 4 low button. So there is atleast 2 inputs. Neutral would be easy to fool, but the speed sensor is probally not a distinct signal I can make up you think?

I might have some time Saturday to play with it, I will let you know. I am heading home now, so see you all later.

Back