Yet another T-Cases to mount to the V8 Thread | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another T-Cases to mount to the V8 Thread

EDIT 6/30/05: I have successfully installed a BW4406 from a Ford Expedition. Pictures of the install begin on page 8 of the thread.

Pages 1 - 7 are research for the swap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK. I want to really nail this down. I would like to get 4low in my V8 Mountaineer, with 6bolt, 31spline 4R70W.

I DON'T NEED AN ATLAS!!

Since this is the same transmission pattern that is used in the fullsized trucks such as the Bronco and F150 a t-case should be able to be found that mates up. What t-cases were used?

The real problem will be fitting? I know the older F150s and Broncos used the BW1356, and the BW1345 in manual versions. Does anyone have the demensions? What about the newer 4406 T-case from the expedition?

As used behind the full size Bronco:
NP208, Part time, chain, 2.61:1, 80-86
BW1345, Part time, chain, 2.72:1, 80-88
BW1356, Part time, chain, 2.69:1, 87-96

As used behind the F150:
BW4406 (Electronic, Electronic w/control-trac clutch, Manual)
BW1356 (Electronic, Manual)
BW1345 (Manual)
NP208 (Manual)
NP205 (Manual)

What about other creative solutions?

I'm looking for cheap cost as well as simplicity. Wiring is no problem if the t-case is electric. Fabbing a shifter shouldn't be too hard. I don't want to go the route of putting in an expensive advanced adaptors conversion and using a 1354 or 4405 control trac. That's over 500 for the adapter, and at least 150 to get the tailshaft installed in the tranny. There has to be a better way!

I'm posting this for two reasons: 1) I realy want 4low. I don't need AWD. 2) My front driveshaft took a crap, transfer case is acting weird. Rather than replace, I'd like to replace that stupid CV joint and AWD t-case.

To make things more complicated, my 97 has the VSS in the t-case tailshaft ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yah I know you said to try the 97 first but I had the option of 99 01 or 96 ad the 96 vehicle wont be in until monday so I was given the 99 to try. it seems that no one in Vancouver crashes 97 explorers lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well I just tried the 99 GEM for the sakes of it.

Well guess what it works!!! Almost perfectly. I just plugged it along with the tod relay in and tested everything out ( I still have the awd tcase in) and everything seems to work fine with the exceptn of the front and rear window wipers.
The front only works on the hi and low settings (not the intermintant ones) and the rear intermitant works but will wipe one direction and stay there for a moment then return and the high on the rear is the ame interval as the low.

Now my 4x4 and 4x4 low lights flash 6 times when I start the truck and keep doing so every cppl minutes. But I would expect that as I dont have any of that stuff installed yet.

One problem it did fix is I thought I needed a new blend door ( I did the cheap fix that worked for a day) and it hasnt worked for the last 3 months and now suddenly with the new GEM it works perfectly.

Seens how everything else is working that the 4x4 may work too?

got all the parts now (except u joints) and I am going to b doing it this weekend with the 99 GEM the GEM is in my 96 and so far almost everything is fully operable. The 97 GEM turnt out to be gone already. so I am stuck with tryng to make the 99 work, and so far its looking good for me.

Well im going to be doing this swap in about 2 weeks(sadly it will be after the badlands run). I found a manual for 300 bucks at my local yard....thanks V8boat builder for referring me to car-parts.com. Now my question, there is a bw 4406 out of a f-150 and another out of a non superduty f-250 for 125..both manual. Now do the f-150's have the vss in the tailshaft?

Pretty sure they are both VSS in axle, but not 100%. I have seen F150 8.8" and 9.75" and Superduty 10.25" axles with the VSS.

Wasn't the last non-SD F250 a '97? Or was it '98? That would be your best bet. Is that the 7-lug ones? :cool: I think ford went VSS/RABS pretty much across the board in 98.

Old thread, I know- but, I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I would really like to have the 2wd for fuel savings and still have 4x4. I have read this whole thread carefully (great job on the write up) and have a question that I dont believe anyone has asked.

IF I can find a manual shift 4406, will it clear without having to change gas tanks?

I have the "returnless" fuel system wich may or may not affect my abitlity to swap in a sport tank. I pull a camper and get 10 mpg while doing so, a smaller tank wont really be a good thing.

in 97V8's thread he put his 4 door tank back in with manual 4406 t case :)

I am doing this conversion SOON

410Fortune said:
in 97V8's thread he put his 4 door tank back in with manual 4406 t case :)

I am doing this conversion SOON

Yup

I wonder if a 2wd Explorer with a lightly modded 5.0L can keep up with an AWD ex with a 347?

naaa still probably not

You dudes with the 98 and newer ex's dont have to worry about the speedo issues. You have VSS/RABS.

[QUOTE='97 V8]You dudes with the 98 and newer ex's dont have to worry about the speedo issues. You have VSS/RABS.[/QUOTE]

Right, thats why I said a manual, my computer would never know its in 2wd, no wires, just transfer case, linkage and driveshafts! ;)

Bump an old classic, with some new developments.

Solved my Double-Cardan front driveshaft with the help of MountaineerGreen:

Hybrid shaft from a 1st gen Explorer w/TTB and a new yoke for the double cardan to meet to the 4406.

In addition to the shaft, I needed the following parts:
1) Precision 627 Universal Joint Yoke ($56.99)
2) Three Precision 280 "1310" Greasable U-Joints ($12.72)

Comparison with my "old" F150 shaft for the 4406 swap. This new shaft can be shorter or longer, so it would be a great system for future 4406 swappers looking for a double cardan.

Driveshafts01.jpg

driveshafts02.jpg

Double Cardan mounted to 4406:
doublecardan01.jpg

Clearance between x-member and shaft:
frontdsclearance.jpg

Driveshaft to diff pinion attachment:
frontdspinion.jpg

Just received this in my PMs:

soon2bsick said:
I'm sure you get several questions about the 4x4 swap but I'm hoping you can help me out

I have a 2000 mounty and the AWD needs to go. I found the thread about swapping to 4x4 with a manual shifter, but that doesn't really appeal to me as my radio bezel has the place where the electric 4x4 knob goes. I wanted to ask since I found your thread, do I need different parts because mines a different year than your's?, and can I utilize that space where a 4x4 knob/button is already supposed to go by putting in one from a v6 4x4? If you have the time, and are willing could you give me a basic list of the parts I need

thanks for your time

Basically you need everything in my list here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1250391&postcount=210

Here are some caveats:
1) GEM module, that needs to be from a 2000 model year for guaranteed compatibility. You might be able to use one from a 1998-2001, but a 2000 is best.
2) In Explorers later than 1998, a lot of the pre-wired harnesses were removed, so you might need to run more wiring between the T-case, TOD Relay, Shift Relay and GEM.

2) In Explorers later than 1998, a lot of the pre-wired harnesses were removed, so you might need to run more wiring between the T-case, TOD Relay, Shift Relay and GEM.

By run more wiring do you mean manually wire things up or does ford make a wiring setup that can be used (such as a plug and play from a different year or something)

sorry..little confused... never wired up anything like that before

By run more wiring do you mean manually wire things up or does ford make a wiring setup that can be used (such as a plug and play from a different year or something)

sorry..little confused... never wired up anything like that before

I'm not 100% sure, as I have a 1997. A member or here, StadX2, wired up the control-trac system to a 1998 explorer, and outlined the wiring. His pics are down, but I have a PDF archive of them/his install thread and can email it to you, just PM me your email address.

The original thread is located here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85487&pp=20

I'm not 100% sure, as I have a 1997. A member or here, StadX2, wired up the control-trac system to a 1998 explorer, and outlined the wiring. His pics are down, but I have a PDF archive of them/his install thread and can email it to you, just PM me your email address.

The original thread is located here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85487&pp=20

i have been reading a lot on this swap but am not sure of a couple of thingsi have a 98 ranger 4.0 & a 96 v8 awd EX as a donor to put stuff in my ranger with a elec 4406 but dont know if i want the one out of a f150 or the one out of an expatiation whichever has the tod or if i need or want the tod whatever that does ??????
also what is the gem i guess the 98 ranger has one but dont know if the EX does or not since its awd ?? what year gem do i need to put in the ranger with the v8 & 4406---i also guess i need one for the 96 EX when i end up putting the 4.0 ranger stuff in the EX later on ?????

I've got a 99 sport... I'm planning on doing a V8 swap and want to put an elec 4406 in, should I get one from a 99 Expedition? or should I ditch all my elecs and get the stuff from a 97 sport instead?

Si

Sports never had V8s to the best of my knowledge.

Back