Yet another strut question for 2010 explorer Eddie b 4wd, 6 cyl | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another strut question for 2010 explorer Eddie b 4wd, 6 cyl

gbuford

Reaction score
I find myself here because this is where my problem will have been seen.
I purchased a lift kit off eBay, I wanted the back to be 2” higher when I load it down with cases of hotsauce.
after looking around at all the options the lift/level kit seemed the besT option as it will be 2” higher mo matter what happens.
as I was gathering everything necessary I noticed the stud bolts in the package were larger than what was on the actual Monroe shock.
on the Monroe shocks the nuts and bolts are M 8 1.25,
while the lift kits nuts and bolts are M 10 1.25.

this would not be an issue if the truck will take the M 10 1.25 studs to mount onto the car.
the old me would have taken everything apart before seeing this potential problem.

im wondering if the lift kit will actually fit with larger bolts m10 vs m8, because when test fitting i noticed on the front spacer that the nut/ washer provided by Monroe (8 mm) would not affix to the nut because the washer is too large and prevents the nut from attaching..

at this point I am stuck, I have all these new parts that are supposed to attach like OEM stuff.
I am sure I can McGiver it, but if I was gonna do that I wouldn’t have bought a bolt on part.

I need some input from the family here.

IMG_0387.png

IMG_5402.jpeg

IMG_5403.jpeg

IMG_5401.jpeg

IMG_5399.jpeg

IMG_5398.jpeg

IMG_5397.jpeg

IMG_5396.jpeg

IMG_5395.jpeg

IMG_5394.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use original factory flange fasteners on monroe studs.

Use original factory flange fasteners on monroe studs.
That would be fine, but
1) I have 8mm studs on the shocks that connect to the lift kit. The washer and bolt don’t clear the casting because of the washers size.
2) the studs on the lift kit are 10 mm.
3) I do not know the size of the stud hole in my car, but I’m assuming it is 8mm because it is supposed to be direct fit.

a) I could just put the shock in with the 8 mm stud nuts and not have to worry about this 2 mm difference on the studs.
b) this clearance problem is only on the front bracket, because of the bolt pattern and spacing.

my issue is what size are the stud holes in this explorer…..

in the pictures below you can see the restricted tolerance on the front bracket on the left vs the rear bracket on the right that has no clearance issues.

IMG_5396.jpeg

IMG_5394.jpeg

I mean
If still you have your old factory shocks ,take the oem m8 flange nuts and reuse on the bottom spacer portion.oem flange nuts has a bit smaller casted washers that will fit the spacer sidewall.

While vehicle shocktowers has approx 11mm hole and will fit the M10 spacer stud with no issues.
You have to remember ,these bolt on applications usually made for oem equipment nor the aftermarket shock fasteners.

Ok I do see what you are talking about, the nut/washer thing from the shock on there now has a smaller diameter.
I took one of the nuts off the front to see if the hole was bigger than the stud and it was like you said.
I then took off the right rear tire and associated parts to get to the shock.
once I got it out I tried to dry fit the bracket to make sure it would fit.
it did not just pop in, one or 2 of the studs would get wedged in and not go all the way in.

I then tried it with the shock attached and tried to jack the whole assembly up into the tower, alas I gave up scratching my head as to what to do.

as I said earlier I thought this baby would just bolt on.

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_5422.jpeg

IMG_5424.jpeg

It is strange.my traxda spacers installed bolt on without any issues.
What brand they are?

Back