Ouray in July | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ouray in July

We got sites 25 and 26, looking to meet some folks tomorrow!

Rusty, are you here?

At this time Black Bear is closed, according to the office at the KOA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heck of a day, all we did was Yankeeboy, but had a situation, when I turned into the parking area at the twin waterfalls, brake pedal all the was to the floor, luckily a rock outlining the parking area stopped me, I high centered the front diff on the rock and was jammed on it, ground was too soft and I kept digging in with my tires, a dodge ram could not pull me off the rock and neither could Gene's jeep winch (a 4k which is all his jeep needs to pull him out of a situation). Finally had a bright idea, and just ran my winch underneath my rig to Gene's jeep acting as an anchor, and presto, pulled myself right off the rock. The brakes worked perfectly after this one incident.
When the brakes failed, several pencils sharpened and new underwear needed. Rebleeding the brakes and hitting trails tomorrow.

Got to meet svo42 and his nice family.

The rock that saved my a$$

IMGP0121_zpsb56db3ec.jpg

After winching off the rock.

IMGP0122_zpsd04efd8e.jpg

Myself and Deadman in front of snow bank

IMGP0123_zps2e9965ef.jpg

IMGP0124_zps0a72c47c.jpg

At this time Black Bear is closed, according to the office at the KOA.

..I heard at the race this weekend that it was closed..I was waiting for you to post up as we were getting conflicting info..closed/open..:banghead:

keep the pictures coming..:D

..I heard at the race this weekend that it was closed..I was waiting for you to post up as we were getting conflicting info..closed/open..:banghead:

keep the pictures coming..:D

More pics are to come today, Ted!! The word around here is that they got Black Bear opened around the 10th or 11th, but a slide (mud, snow?) closed it again. It makes my bro Gene happy, he has found out he is not suited for trailing in the mountains. (drop off's)

Cool pics mike! can't wait to see more! How is the Jack holding up after we did all that work to it?

I know what your feeling about the brakes failing where your at right now. This happened last year too didn't it? Too say the least, it can be down right scary up there. Going up, not so much, coming down.....well, yeah, pretty frigging scary. 1st gear & 4 Low is your friend at this point.

A couple things come to mind about the brakes failing...

It could be the master bypassed on you. I dealt with that for a few years with numerous masters. It's caused from doing a hard brake, too much pressure builds, and the fluids bypass back thru the seals in the master. It takes a few seconds for the pedal to firm back up. If it happens again, just release the pedal, leave it alone for a few seconds, and figure out other ways to slow down (besides a boulder) like down shifting, emergency brake, anything to buy you a few seconds. When you have firm pedal again, do not stomp on it. Slowly apply pressure to it until you stop.

Why does this happen? Sometimes it is just a bad master. (I got 2 bad masters right out of the box). Other times it is because there is too much pressure in either the front or rear system. Example: When you press on the peddle, it increases fluid pressure to both systems. If the pressure is too great, and a back pressure happens, the fluid is forced back into the master as the seals just give way and open up. The rear system is almost always the culprit.

What to look for? I think yours is pre-front abs, but might have rear abs. There is a box inline that controls the fluid pressure allowed to the rear. Too much pressure can be caused by contaminated fluids, and blocked the lines partially. The other can be a bad rear caliper, and or soft lines to the calipers. Lines can be old and softer than they should be causing swelling. Have someone step on the brake peddle as you watch the soft lines. If you can see them bulge/swell/grow in size, they need replaced. Do this for all 4 soft lines to the calipers. Replace as needed.

What color is your brake fluids? Black/dirty fluids will result in poor braking, even failure to work at all. Should be clear at all times, even if you have to flush the system with DOT3 4 times a year. This is the most overlooked brake maintenance item that I know of.

I'm sure you know some of this, but just for the heck of it, it doesn't hurt to say it anyways, just in case. ;) Oh, & big bushes are stronger than you think. They can stop you like a tree can, but do not cause as much damage. LOL!

Cool pics mike! can't wait to see more! How is the Jack holding up after we did all that work to it?

Holding up good Russell, just a issue with the brakes right now. Automotive is sound.

I know what your feeling about the brakes failing where your at right now. This happened last year too didn't it? Too say the least, it can be down right scary up there. Going up, not so much, coming down.....well, yeah, pretty frigging scary. 1st gear & 4 Low is your friend at this point.

A couple things come to mind about the brakes failing...

It could be the master bypassed on you. I dealt with that for a few years with numerous masters. It's caused from doing a hard brake, too much pressure builds, and the fluids bypass back thru the seals in the master. It takes a few seconds for the pedal to firm back up. If it happens again, just release the pedal, leave it alone for a few seconds, and figure out other ways to slow down (besides a boulder) like down shifting, emergency brake, anything to buy you a few seconds. When you have firm pedal again, do not stomp on it. Slowly apply pressure to it until you stop.

Why does this happen? Sometimes it is just a bad master. (I got 2 bad masters right out of the box). Other times it is because there is too much pressure in either the front or rear system. Example: When you press on the peddle, it increases fluid pressure to both systems. If the pressure is too great, and a back pressure happens, the fluid is forced back into the master as the seals just give way and open up. The rear system is almost always the culprit.

What to look for? I think yours is pre-front abs, but might have rear abs. There is a box inline that controls the fluid pressure allowed to the rear. Too much pressure can be caused by contaminated fluids, and blocked the lines partially. The other can be a bad rear caliper, and or soft lines to the calipers. Lines can be old and softer than they should be causing swelling. Have someone step on the brake peddle as you watch the soft lines. If you can see them bulge/swell/grow in size, they need replaced. Do this for all 4 soft lines to the calipers. Replace as needed.

What color is your brake fluids? Black/dirty fluids will result in poor braking, even failure to work at all. Should be clear at all times, even if you have to flush the system with DOT3 4 times a year. This is the most overlooked brake maintenance item that I know of.

I'm sure you know some of this, but just for the heck of it, it doesn't hurt to say it anyways, just in case. ;) Oh, & big bushes are stronger than you think. They can stop you like a tree can, but do not cause as much damage. LOL!

Thanks for the info Gregg, I have already flushed the system and replaced the fluid with new fluid.

Your mentioning the clog lines is when I am headed next, because I did get back pressure (master showed signs of overflowing at the top of Imogene)

I'll keep in mind about bushes being softer, and being stronger than they look!!!!

I had no problems on Imogene today, we ran the pass from the Ouray side since Black Bear is closed :(

pics to follow

Great pictures - brings back memories...

Sure does, I remember that view and it's been a long time since I've been there.

Had a great day of wheeling with Mike and Brian today, did engineer and cinnamon today as part of the Alpine Loop, can't get photos to load on photobucket, more pics coming. :D

Made it back home this evening. I took a detour through some backroads into Moab from Telluride and wow what a nice drive! Added 5 hours to my trip home but it was worth it.

Good to hit the trails again with Reaper and Mrboyle. I had fun, thanks for posting this run Mike!

Made it back home this evening. I took a detour through some backroads into Moab from Telluride and wow what a nice drive! Added 5 hours to my trip home but it was worth it.

Good to hit the trails again with Reaper and Mrboyle. I had fun, thanks for posting this run Mike!

Thanks for being there to make a run, Brian! Good to know you made it back home, we went thu your neck of the woods around 5.

We are in nowhere Texas (Sudan) and will be getting back home tomorrow.

..More pics please..:popcorn:

Here are some of my pictures from the trip.

Tuesday I arrived in Silverton and ran up to Corkscrew Pass and then found a great campsite on the other side in a meadow at the base of Red Mountain #1

m_DSC_3687_zps6fc8b237.jpg

m_DSC_3695_zps01fd4316.jpg

And this picture just for [MENTION=63829]Tbars4[/MENTION]

m_DSC_3697_zpsdcceced8.jpg

The next morning I met Mike and Mike at the Engineer Alpine Loop Trailhead

Going up Engineer Pass

m_DSC_3704_zps6fa19b8c.jpg

m_DSC_3706_zpse32397c3.jpg

m_DSC_3711_zps4b0c6479.jpg

m_DSC_3708_zpsee5931bc.jpg

And down the other side nearing Lake City, Mrboyle in the lead

m_DSC_3722_zps510c2696.jpg

..:scratch:..Did you borrow my Cadac?

Gorgeous pictures ..:biggthump ..and I was asked how come you didn't come to Reno..

We stopped for lunch in Lake City then went up Cinnamon Pass

Flowers everywhere!

m_DSC_3724_zpsb9490fc4.jpg

m_DSC_3725_zpsdf295b37.jpg

m_DSC_3740_zps184f974e.jpg

We finished Cinnamon and then I gassed up in Silverton and headed to Ophir Pass while Mike and Mike went their separate ways as well.

Ophir was easy, I made the summit in about 12 minutes. I kept going into Telluride hoping to find a nice camp on Last Dollar Road. The campsites with a valley view were taken but I found a nice one in an Aspen grove

m_DSC_3748_zps00993a88.jpg

View into the Telluride Valley obstructed with Aspen

m_DSC_3750_zps502a6877.jpg

these deer hung out for a long time grazing just behind my camp

m_DSC_3753_zps643fdfc9.jpg

Wow, it sure is great to see "Dr. Jack" up there. :chug: I'm sure the spirit of Dr. Jack Lobdell was with you the whole way...

Nice pics Brian:chug:

..:scratch:..Did you borrow my Cadac?

Gorgeous pictures ..:biggthump ..and I was asked how come you didn't come to Reno..

Haha! Why, are you missing yours? :D I found a good deal on an old model that had never been used. This was my first trip with it and so far it has worked well.

More pictures coming...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha! Why, are you missing yours? :D I found a good deal on an old model that had never been used. This was my first trip with it and so far it has worked well.

More pictures coming...

..:scratch:..I don't even know..It feels like I haven't been home in weeks..

..It is definitely nice to see pictures of a bunch of Explorers out and offroading as we need more off road trips and pictures posted..I know thereare other members out camping this summer..

...I've been stuck in the Jeep crowd and representing as I'm the only one found wearing Ford Race t's and EF t-shirts..

..I'm working on converting them..:D

Back