Votes: 5 1.2%
  • 5W30

Votes: 140 33.0%
  • 5W50 synthetic

Votes: 54 12.7%
  • 10w30 synthetic

Votes: 88 20.8%

• Total voters
5W-30 Pennzoil conventional oil and Motorcraft filter every 2500 miles. I am advised that higher viscosity can cause hydrodynamic pumping pressure issue. My 4.0 SOHC knocked more on synthetic. I figure Ford recommends 5W-30 for a reason. Who am I to second guess? 102,000 miles and no oil-related problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 10w-30 in my truck (OHV) and 5w-30 in the wifes (SOHC) I use to run stright 40w in my first truck. It burned oil kinda, but what do want from a 2.3 with 200k-300k on it. :rolleyes:

right now Mobil 5w30, it was on sale, last oil change i used Advanced Auto brand 5w30, i'm just using whats cheap because it leaks and i'm not sure if it burns at all, but i have to add about half a quart ever week and a half so i don't wanna be using the expensive stuff!

in my Car i ran Valvoline Max-life 5w30 for a while, right now i have Castrol GTX in it and i think i'm gonna switch to the Valvoline 5w30 Durablend partial synthetic and keep changing it every 3 thousand miles, i figure this way with partial synthetic and the regular oil change the motor will be cleaner and last longer

i usually run 10w30 in my car in the summer but i think once i switch to the durablend i will stay with 5w30,

in my 90 F-150 i run the 10w30 sometimes 10w40, and its usually cheap stuff like Supertech or Advanced auto brand

Six Dyno pulls have convinced me that RP syn in the entire drive train will increase H.P also, not alot but a measurable amount, has been said in privious posts syn reduces parisitic drain, thus increasing MPG (slightly) a few extra ponys are also in the equation.
I think all syns are perhaps the same, me, I am just partial to the color of RP, as a streeter only I need all the HP I can muster even if it's only a mental thing, am surrounded by ricers on a daily basis, some win, most lose:)

188 RWHP, non RP, 4 days later, same weather conditions, RP in engine, rear diff and powerflushed auto tranny, 193 RWHP, not a scientific study by any means but something nevertheless

Right now I'm doing a Castrol Syntec blend of 5w 30. As soon as I do a few more oil changes with it I will switch to full Castrol Synthetic

I'm using Shell Rotella 15W40 in the 1993 Limited ever since.. mileage now is 212K. On the other hand.. the 1997 Limited uses Motorcraft 5W30 and I change oil and filter religiously every 3K miles.

Just wondering what using straight 30 wt oil would do in my 94 XL 4x4? It was good enough for dad right? Wondering if it will help with low oil pressure down here in Hot Oklahoma.

Mobil 5w30

Switched to Mobil 1 5w30 about 500 miles ago (at 80,000).

I just use regular 5w30 walmart brand in my 93 and change it regularly. I would like to go to synthetic but I have leaks and I'm not wasting money on oil like that. I add about a quart or less every 3000 miles

Rumors say Advance Auto Parts oil (what I use) is Havoline. Experimenting with Mobil Drive Clean. Mobil 1 leaks out too much.

i thought that the Advance auto brand was Havoline but it says right on it that its not,

so who knows

Mobil 5W30 every 2500-3000 miles

Motorcraft 5W20 blend which is what the manual reccomended for the 2003

In my 1993, I've got Chevron Supreme 10W-30. In my Mounty I have whatever the dealer I got it from decided to put in there. I have already purchased a case of Mobil 1 0W-20 for the next oil change, however.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been running Mobil 1 15w-50 for 4 years. I would probably run a lighter weight if I lived elsewhere, but here the coldest it ever gets is 70-75 degrees.

Back