IZwack's tow rig buildup | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IZwack's tow rig buildup

So how did it do towing the Explorer and all your gear/friends today?
It did fine. It got us there and back - no trailer sway or anything.

I think its lacking some power and had to drop down a gear on some moderate inclines where I didnt expect it to. I'll see if theres an exhaust leak or something.

But so far so good :D

EDIT: huge downside -> the low-back seats. My shoulders are hurting!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should put the newer light on the van...97+ I belive, I would think they just bolt right in.
econo_bug_shield_lrg.jpg

heh, its big and green. Im sure we can comeup with a good nickname based on that.

I think its lacking some power and had to drop down a gear on some moderate inclines where I didnt expect it to. I'll see if theres an exhaust leak or something.

Any plans for performace mods? Exhaust, tuning?

my uncle made an exaust for my dad's 7.3 powerchoke, im sure he could make you one too. It sounds awsome.

LOL I like the names!

As for the exhaust, I haven't really given that any thought yet - but I probably will sometime in the near future.

Is this project finished? Any updates? More pictures?
The project is on hold right now - I think the Injector Driver Module is dead again. But all of the windows are tinted.

The project is on hold right now - I think the Injector Driver Module is dead again. But all of the windows are tinted.

wassa matter? afraid of showing you're male model physic to the world?

I dont know if you talked about a SAS yet, i just skimmed. It would be nice to have 4wd so it could also be used as a recovery vehicle (a little big, but it would work). A company called Quigley does the conversions....you could just mock thier kit and do it yourself, then it could look like this:

van_pan.jpg

I used to have access to one of these vans. We took the seats out and turned them in a wrap around seating fashion for road trips. It was awsome, much more social. I believe we lost one seat, but still it was like a 12 passenger van.

Great work on the body, looking good. A set of 31" all terrains on some steelies gets my vote for sure.

Looks like a big bud or a big bogger.

So call her Mary Jane or Snot!!

Cool idea on the tow rig. What did you pay for her???

I second the quigley conversions with the sterling 10.25 and a dana 60 out of superduty and you would have a helluva vehicle

I dont know if you talked about a SAS yet, i just skimmed. It would be nice to have 4wd so it could also be used as a recovery vehicle (a little big, but it would work).
Thats a great idea -- but I will keep the van 2wd to try to keep the drivetrain as simple as possible. I never go off-roading alone when I tow my rig around so there will always be a vehicle to aid in recovery.

I used to have access to one of these vans. We took the seats out and turned them in a wrap around seating fashion for road trips. It was awsome, much more social. I believe we lost one seat, but still it was like a 12 passenger van.
I was thinking of that Dannyboy but I have no idea how I would make these custom seats. I have no experience in upholstery :(

Cool idea on the tow rig. What did you pay for her???
I paid $800 for it - but it needed an injector driver module (IDM) which usually hovers between $250 and $350 on Ebay.

I second the quigley conversions with the sterling 10.25 and a dana 60 out of superduty and you would have a helluva vehicle
The rear I believe is already a 10.25" sterling -- the differential housing about the same size as the 14b on my Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back