Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bolingbrook, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Callsign
KD9OWX
Well i got tired of my old bumper. wanted something that looked a bit cleaner and tighter to the body.

the old bumper:
2264606-21-05_0026.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

To start, i wanted to get rid of the goofy oem frame ears and make some bumper mounts that were simpler to mount a bumper on.
PIC-0059.jpg

Then i used 2x4 tube (5/16" thick) for a base to start the bumper.
PIC-0057.jpg

1.5" pipe for the main support tubes
PIC-0058.jpg

Next came the main hoop
PIC-0061.jpg

PIC-0060.jpg

Then a secondary crossrail
PIC-0062.jpg

Then i quit for the night. Hopefully i will finish tomorrow. I have some supports to follow the lines on the grill left to do, and then cap off all the loose ends. Then comes paint.

And yes, i used schd40 pipe. this is not a roll cage to save my life. just a brush guard that should be alot more stout than the ones you buy in a summit catalog, and i have about $40 into this bumper.

comments are very welcome. i take criticism well.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good

done

well almost done... still have to remount the skid plate, but that is just a matter of welding on 2 studs for it to bolt to on the backside of the bumper.

as a side note, putting on flat black over "rusty metal primer"(reddish color) as the sun is going down, is not the best way to have a quality finish on the paint job.
IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

nice , alot closer to the body , !!

Did you have a metal bumper? If so, were you able to unbolt it from the vehicle or did you have to cut? That looks reeeeeeaaal nice :)

(Permission to use in a photoshop??)

Did you have a metal bumper? If so, were you able to unbolt it from the vehicle or did you have to cut? That looks reeeeeeaaal nice :)

(Permission to use in a photoshop??)

all of my bumpers have always bolted up. the last one i made to work with the oem frame ears. it was really goofy the way i fabbed it, but i did what i could with the little tools i had when i was 16. i modified here and there through the past 4 years to make it look better, but now i have pretty decent tools to work with (chop saw, angle grinder, 220v mig welder, plasma, etc.) so i made a new one from scratch.

i'll try and get some day shots tomorow to make your photoshopping easier:thumbsup:

thanks for the compliments guys

all of my bumpers have always bolted up. the last one i made to work with the oem frame ears. it was really goofy the way i fabbed it, but i did what i could with the little tools i had when i was 16. i modified here and there through the past 4 years to make it look better, but now i have pretty decent tools to work with (chop saw, angle grinder, 220v mig welder, plasma, etc.) so i made a new one from scratch.

i'll try and get some day shots tomorow to make your photoshopping easier:thumbsup:

Looks not too bad.

I had been wondering if the bumper brackets would be strong enough to hold a 12000LB winch, and I think you've just answered that for me.

nice!!

They're both very nice, but this one got me... do you have the dimensions on the one in the 2nd pic at the top? If it's okay, I'm going to have a fabricator replicate it (everything from the midline down) Thanks!:cool:

3 years later, i decided the bumper was missing something.... oh yeah, i remember now. A 12,000 LB WINCH!

Started with the box to hold this odd shaped winch (ramsey re12000)
IMAG0489.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

Chopped the main tube to fit in the winch cradle
IMAG0495.jpg

Then welded in the winch cradle. Still have some more plate work to do so it looks a little better/strengthens it up, but you get the idea
IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

Yes, the fairlead is not centered on the truck. I thought it was more important to have the winch tucked in as far as i could rather than make it center on the vehicle. A picture of the winch below so that you can see what the winch looks like that i'm working with. Since this picture, i've replaced the broken cover and re-painted the winch so it looks better. But the thing is HUGE.
Photo-0337.jpg

well the winch didn't fit in, so i had to make some adjustments. first thing to go was all the inside tubes.
IMAG0512.jpg

then added some plating for strength and to make it pretty.
IMAG0514.jpg

added some tube back in.
IMAG0516.jpg

then more tube.
IMAG0517.jpg

little bit more tube.
IMAG0518.jpg

promised this hobo that every can of paint he laid down on the bumper i'd give him one to huff. Just kidding of course, that is my buddy matt who helped me with lifting the thing on and off the truck and some design ideas.
IMAG0519.jpg

And for some reason i can't upload the last 2 photos...?

I'll use flickr to put up the rest....

All painted up
6096496159_46c9a4446f_b.jpg

On the truck!
6097041920_e7e5e18700_b.jpg

Wired and spooled up!
6097042098_d4981cf62b_b.jpg

Side view
6097041722_85ce77b7d4_b.jpg

The bumper and winch combination is effin heavy, but i was able to get it down and put it back on for some wiring by myself and i'm only 155lbs (it took all my strength though). I'm really happy with the way it looks now and i have a winch finally! I need a better place to hook the cable and i may put some d-ring mounts on it. My hooks are still on the frame, but they are kind of blocked by the bumper now. Without cutting the body at all, that is as tucked as i could get it.

Back