• Register Today It's free!

Cut fenders for (1-2" "lift")

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT
Has anyone out there cut the fenders an inch or so to give more clearance without lifting? I am all about $0-cheap mods.

I saw a mod on wranglers that my bro is gonna do to his called highline fenders/low COG "lift".

Gonna check tomorrow to see if you can even cut anything off the rears.

thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cutting depends on how much you value the body. I cut mine to stuff 33s.

In front, start at the rear of the wheelwell lip, and cut a line to half-way between the two bolts that hold the fender to the body.

Out back, I cut away the sheetmetal behind the tires, up to about the place where the hatch comes down.

If you need to clip the rear more, you could clip into the door area and make a bigger wheel tub, but that gets to be a lot of work, and is primarily for an off-road only rig, but it is doable. Just saw out what you need and plate across the gap with some new sheetmetal. Same for the front (actually easier, as the front is mostly just there for show, no structural issues to deal with).

I was also running a 3" body lift. And, if you notice, I've lifted my front bumper and clipped the frame rails back about 6". I welded two 2x3" uprights to the front of the cut frame rails, and attached the bumper to them (remove the valance pan under the lights) and mounted the bumper right under the headlights. Good front approach angle that way.

Here are a couple of pics that give you an idea.

15014Exploder_Bumper_4.jpg

15014Explorer_front_flex.jpg

15014Explorer_Flex_2.jpg

Cutting depends on how much you value the body. I cut mine to stuff 33s.

In front, start at the rear of the wheelwell lip, and cut a line to half-way between the two bolts that hold the fender to the body.

Out back, I cut away the sheetmetal behind the tires, up to about the place where the hatch comes down.

If you need to clip the rear more, you could clip into the door area and make a bigger wheel tub, but that gets to be a lot of work, and is primarily for an off-road only rig, but it is doable. Just saw out what you need and plate across the gap with some new sheetmetal. Same for the front (actually easier, as the front is mostly just there for show, no structural issues to deal with).

I was also running a 3" body lift. And, if you notice, I've lifted my front bumper and clipped the frame rails back about 6". I welded two 2x3" uprights to the front of the cut frame rails, and attached the bumper to them (remove the valance pan under the lights) and mounted the bumper right under the headlights. Good front approach angle that way.

Here are a couple of pics that give you an idea.

15014Exploder_Bumper_4.jpg

15014Explorer_front_flex.jpg

15014Explorer_Flex_2.jpg

So that's just a 3" BL and cut fenders? If so...:thumbsup::D!

I messed around a lot with the suspension also, but actually had no real lift -- just a lot of travel. The rear may have had an extra inch or two of lift from the longer shackles, but the springs were so flattened (turned inside out) that it was probably neutral. Same up front.

Also note, that I didn't give a rat's patootie about the body. I bought that truck as a wreck and as long as I could close a door and not get hooked on something, it was good for me. Real nice body work and off-road do not mix well together...

The deal is, flex it out, cut off what gets in the way, smooth the edges. :thumbsup: :D then :roll:

Thinking about cutting along the flat edge of the fenders here. (Red mark) Only it would be a bit straighter! lol
expocut.jpg

Figure I could make some fenders on the cheap if it's to sharp or anything like that. I will at least try it out on the front fenders first. Gonna get some from a yard and hack them up.

That's exactly the right idea. Here are some other areas that you can cut.

Red is simple cuts. Blue is cut out and replace with 2x3 or 2x4 box tube.

Attachments

• expocut.jpg
    expocut.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 4,217

you know you can fit 31s on your truck now.. without any major rubbing. just an fyi

Yes, I do know this. I also know that I can fit 33x9.5 as well. But I want funtion over form. I don't like the whole, lets see how big of a tire I can stuff so that when I hit a feather in the road I can feel it, thing. I like room for flex. I want to do a 3" BL and 32's eventually, but will have to see if I can get some guys at school to help me complete the process. I don't want to do the BL by myself, ya know!

Body lift isn't bad at all, as long as you can get the bolts to come out.

Loosen all the bolts, remove only one side at a time, have a couple of 2x4s or a 4x4 to jack on, and use a floor jack. Just jack it up and stick in the new parts.

I highly recommend using PB Blaster for at least 2 weeks before starting. Same goes for suspension work.

Body lift isn't bad at all, as long as you can get the bolts to come out.

Loosen all the bolts, remove only one side at a time, have a couple of 2x4s or a 4x4 to jack on, and use a floor jack. Just jack it up and stick in the new parts.

I highly recommend using PB Blaster for at least 2 weeks before starting. Same goes for suspension work.

Yep. I plan on using that good ol' stuff. Yeah, I've heard the bolts can be a bit of a pain to get out!

This seems like a lot of work to fit 32s...

Since you already have shackles, all you need is F150 spring seats and 32s will fit just fine. You will only need to (maybe) hammer back some of the firewall (pinchweld) to not rub. An alignment afterward and you have the lift you need for ~$100.

Yes, I do know this. I also know that I can fit 33x9.5 as well. But I want funtion over form. I don't like the whole, lets see how big of a tire I can stuff so that when I hit a feather in the road I can feel it, thing. I like room for flex. I want to do a 3" BL and 32's eventually, but will have to see if I can get some guys at school to help me complete the process. I don't want to do the BL by myself, ya know!

a 31x10.50 still has functionality with a stock set up, but yes i know what you mean. im still running 31s with my 4" lift until they wear out.. really only looking for a taller tire so i can get some more clearance for the diffs.

if i had it all to do over again i would have kept the 2" of lift i gained from coils (or would have opted for f-150 seats) and rear shackles and ran a 32 and been happy.

This seems like a lot of work to fit 32s...

Since you already have shackles, all you need is F150 spring seats and 32s will fit just fine. You will only need to (maybe) hammer back some of the firewall (pinchweld) to not rub. An alignment afterward and you have the lift you need for ~$100.

Seriously? I didn't think that you could fit 32's with just that! Any pictures of that setup or equal? That would be sweet to do less work for the 32's! haha:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance guys. I'm off to work. Might be on later at about 11pm or so.

PEaCE!

theres a picture in my registry link below where im running leveling springs, shackles, and 31s.. and there was plenty of room for a 32 w/out stuffing the gaps.

Would that be what you were running in this picture?
100_0122edit.jpg

That's crazy. I saw a member on here that had "king spring leafs" on the rear and that's it back there and it lifted it enough for 33's! I've never heard of them nor could I find anything on here or Google about them. You heard of em?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So are there any other pictures of that setup?

Back