Stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah your stuck.. You should have had someone go with you in another rig..

How did you get out?

This was along side a forest service road. This road has lots of places to pull off and camp but it was pretty full this weekend. I drove down this side road to look for an open spot. I went through this same hole on the way in with no trouble but when I came out the back wheels slide to the right on me and this was the result. I was trying to stay to the left and out of the mud hole....

Luckily for me a guy was camping not far from me and saw the whole thing, probably laughing too, he came over and pulled me out. He was a super nice guy with a big F-350 crew cab 4x4.

serves you right for taking off the lift and tires!!!!! JK LOL

I was going to trade it in and wanted to sell the tires and lift separately. I have about decided to keep it now though so I guess I screwed up......

thats what i was thinking^. now you need to test the lift and tires. throw them on and go back to the same spot to see if you still get stuck. haha then report if you got out or not.

looks like a tough situation of high centering the frame. atleast you had a camera with you thats one thing i need to start keeping in my truck

I have already sold the tires and the lift......

Looking back on getting stuck I think I had it in auto instead of 4x4 high. The back end came around on me and slid into that mud hole. Maybe the 4x4 did not engage quick enough? You can see where the one tire slid sideways if you look at the ground.

In any event it was a lot of fun and the kids got a big kick out of it. I had some fire wood in the car that I was going to try to stick under the tire that was in the water to see if I could get enough traction to get out. I am not sure if that would have worked...

it looks like fun, . . .my guess is the 4wd Part-Time w/Lock would have prevented it. . .from the pic it looks like those rears spun pretty good, smooth mud, but i cant see what the front tires where doing? Do you have LSD? I bet yes, and both rears got a going before the fronts could bite. It seems to take a spin or two before things lock up.
Or 4wd Low would have been like a tank. . .

it looks like fun, . . .my guess is the 4wd Part-Time w/Lock would have prevented it. . .from the pic it looks like those rears spun pretty good, smooth mud, but i cant see what the front tires where doing? Do you have LSD? I bet yes, and both rears got a going before the fronts could bite. It seems to take a spin or two before things lock up.
Or 4wd Low would have been like a tank. . .

I do have the limited slip. I think that is what happened. The rear grabbed and the front did not. I was not expecting a problem with it. Oh well live and learn. I wonder if I still had the lift and big tires if it would have been high enough to not get high centered?

Let's see if one of the moderators can put this in the Whoops! section LOL

You could've got out in 4WD low, I reckon - either forwards or reverse. Nice stuck though!

You could've got out in 4WD low, I reckon - either forwards or reverse. Nice stuck though!

I did not try 4 Low. I figured that would just spin more than 4 Hi.

nice stuck,i woulda tried to get it out 1st also before gettin pulled out

I do believe I would have tried 4 low b4 I accepted a tow. :) Your pass front would have dug in- in reverse it looks like.

With an open differential it would have just spun the tire that is off the ground wouldn't it? I tried a bit before I let him pull me out. I put it in 4 Hi and rocked it back and forwards a bit. I tried riding the brake too but to no avail.

Yeah 4LO wont really help - the extra torque isnt whats needed in this situation.

Yeah 4LO wont really help - the extra torque isnt whats needed in this situation.

once your stuck like that it would have been tough, it looks like that mud hole as a ledge to it,

4lo would have helped before you got stuck, . .imho, it would have prevented those rears from spinning up . . and stopping that slide. id think of it after i got stuck. . .lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lesson learned, do not trust the auto 4x4, press the button if there is any chance you will need it.

Back