Sirius Signal Drop Out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sirius Signal Drop Out

SCMCS

Reaction score
City, State
SF Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
Does anyone get signal drop out with the Sirius signal? Sometimes I get a momentary silence in the signal. When this happens I’m not under any overpass or anything like that. Just on the open road away from any buildings or mountains on the freeway and not in a remote area. The song comes back on after a second or so. I’ve never had Sirius so I don’t know if this is common but I thought satellite signal while not immune to reception issues were much stronger then radio signals. I’m using the stock antenna that is securely fastened. This never happens with AM of FM signals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sat signals are weaker then radio signals.

so is gps signals.

since sat signals need to go through the atmosphere, places where you cant see it can block it, high voltage etc.

so yes its normal on a clear day, where its sunny to drop out a second or 2.

most standalone sirius receivers will have a buffer in them. factory units dont.

O.K. thanks for the clarification.

most standalone sirius receivers will have a buffer in them. factory units dont.
Actually, the MFT receiver included in the 202A package does have a buffer and will replay the last 45 minutes on a given channel, IIRC.

My XM receiver will replay the last hour, and will cross channels. You can leave it on and pick up your favorite program (like Mike and Mike on ESPN) and then when you get into the car you can change the channel for another, rewind to the beginning and listen to the first program then continue on when it runs out.

But back to the original topic - my MFT Sirius (XLT, 202A) was dropping out every couple minutes on the way to work yesterday morning. 25 minute drive, 20 miles. On the way home, just for fun, I counted - 13 drops in the same distance. No tunnels, large buildings, heavy tree cover, road signs, none of that. Just open skies over the freeway. Most of them were just momentary drops, like skips in a record, but I don't have SAT radio to get that kind of reception. The weather was cool and there was cloud cover all day.

Last night on the way to dinner about 6:30 it was skipping again. Not as bad, but at least a half a dozen times in a 20 minute drive. A little tree cover over the road, but nothing major.

On the way home about 10:00, it skipped maybe once or twice.

Over the last 3 weeks, it has not seemed nearly this bad. Maybe one little skip every now and then.

My XM radio in my old X is a Delphi SkyFi add-on unit. It demonstrates none of the drops that this Sirius unit has. No drops or skips, unless of course you are shaded from the satellite by hills, cliffs, large highway walls, etc. But it never just randomly dropped out while driving.

So the question is - is this a vehicle radio or antenna problem? A Sirius broadcast/satellite problem?

At this point, I am unable to reproduce the issue consistently. It seems very random.

I was able to find some other references to people having similar issues, though they are a bit dated.

There is this one

And check out the graphic in post 4 on this one. Pretty cool, and informative, too. And a reference to this forum Have to do some reading over there.

If what I have read so far is correct, XM uses a geostationary orbit for their two birds, and Sirius uses 3 that are flying a figure 8. XM seems to have opted for more stability, and Sirius for more coverage area. I think I like the more stability approach.

I have the same problem with my Ex. Lmt. The dropped signal happens significantly more than in other vehicles. I have XM/Sirius in my 2006 Accord, 2008 Pilot and I had a portable unit in my 2002 Mountaineer. This radio drops the signal in many places that my Hondas don't. I rarely have a dropped signal in my Hondas but frequently in my Ex. The antenna must be weaker or the radio doesn't buffer enough to get through the dead spots. I can't listen to Sirius in my garage with the Ex. but I can with the other radios even the old portable unit.

I have been having exact same Sirius signal issues and much more frequently after v2.8 upgrade.

Constant signal stoppage, or gaps in music caused by signal drop or fade.

I thought a SIRIUS reflash from their system would help but so far no improvement.

Yet another bug in SYNC/MFT software.

I can't listen to Sirius in my garage with the Ex. but I can with the other radios even the old portable unit.
Mine works in my garage. Just a one story structure. Maybe that's the difference?

I have been having exact same Sirius signal issues and much more frequently after v2.8 upgrade.
I was wondering that. I don't know what version I started out on. Had it in last week to be re-sync'd to the Ford system and it seemed a lot worse afterward.

I was out and about for a couple hours straight yesterday with Sirius on and had none of the problems from Friday.

I'm wondering if it isn't a combination of atmospheric conditions affecting Sirius, or problems with one or more of their birds, combined with buffering issues in MFT?

Roads with tall trees lining both sides can be an issue. I've noticed it with both Sirius and GPS. I64 between Williamsburg and Richmond as an example. I suspect the antenna assembly.

Something is up with Sirius. I have had Sirius on my focus for over a year without any issues. All of a sudden I am getting more dropouts.

I had not noticed the drops prior to the new channel lineup now I get them as well. And I never have them on the same roads/same conditions in our other manufacturer Sirius-equipped car - though I have not used Sirius in it since the new lineup so there may be problems.

I think it may be a good idea for a bunch of us to call Sirius and complain about signal quality since the channel swap so they start to look into this issue.

If we don't say anything they will think it's an isolated problem and wont dedicate the proper resources to it.

I have sirius on my alpine dash and I agree with the higher amount of signal loss. I will call tomorrow about this issue.

I am also having drop outs.

Did not notice it when I first got my vehicle, but, now I have the problem. Thought it may have been because they replaced my APIM. GUess that is not the case.

A friend of mine has a Escape, and he says he has the same problem.

I think a lot of this can be attributed to MFT buggy software. My Ex seizes up all the time. Randomly. It's unnerving. AC blows wildly. The screen goes blank. Etc. This has to be related.

They can't get the new software out there fast enough for me.

I called Sirius, had them do a refresh signal to the Sirius receiver, but still notice signal drops.........

I don't think the dropouts are due to the MFT system. I've been on 2.7 for quite a while with no problems, and in the last week or so, I've noticed more dropouts (especially since Sirius did the channel re-alignment. I'm thinking it may be an atmospheric problem or a problem with Sirius, not the Explorer.

I don't think the dropouts are due to the MFT system. I've been on 2.7 for quite a while with no problems, and in the last week or so, I've noticed more dropouts (especially since Sirius did the channel re-alignment. I'm thinking it may be an atmospheric problem or a problem with Sirius, not the Explorer.

Ever since Sirius "upgraded" the channel lineup when I hit the "browse" button on MFT it just sits there and says "LOADING", before the upgrade it actually loaded. :rolleyes: Hope it actually works again soon....

I'm thinking it may be an atmospheric problem or a problem with Sirius, not the Explorer.
I'm thinking that as well. Either atmospheric, or a satellite issue.

Today wasn't too bad. Same thing - skips in the reception, but only one or two in a half hour.

I'm getting the same dropouts with the factory receiver in my '09 Fusion. I think this has something to do with the big channel change. I am seeing the dropouts more in the 20's and 30's channels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's also possible Sirius made changes to their signal compression algorithms to shove more channels/programming onto the same bandwidth. Less redundancy of info in the signal could make the receivers more susceptible to drop outs.

Back