common issues to avoid in used Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

common issues to avoid in used Sport Trac

pmcd

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Looking to buy a 2001-2004 Sport Trac, am seeing anywhere from 60k to 160k miles. I'd sure love to know the common issues, things to look out for, etc. The things that an experienced owner who maintains a vehicle properly would look out for if they were to buy another Sport Trac. All knowledge on Sprt Tracs is new to my, never owned one or an Explorer, so thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking to buy a 2001-2004 Sport Trac, am seeing anywhere from 60k to 160k miles. I'd sure love to know the common issues, things to look out for, etc. The things that an experienced owner who maintains a vehicle properly would look out for if they were to buy another Sport Trac. All knowledge on Sprt Tracs is new to my, never owned one or an Explorer, so thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

Paul
The main thing I would watch out for is the timing chain rattle that kind of sounds like detonation. There was a recall that not everybody knew about. I believe in the Sport Trac's, it only affected the 01-03 models. Unfortunately, I was totally unaware of the recall until my truck started rattling which was of course just out of the mileage cutoff. I'm sure there are other things to look for but thats the only real issue I have ever had with my truck. Nothing really "bad" has happened because of it but I know its there and it bugs the s**t out of me.

Thanks for the heads up. By detonation, do you mean pinging?

Yes pinging sound. I have had mine replaced 3 times. I think each truck is different, I have had several issues with mine but luckily I bought an extended warranty.

Here is my list of items, and none of this is due to negligence on my part.
3 Mass air sensors
3 radiators
Transmission
3 timing chains
drivers seat
CD player
some sort of cracked vacuum line

Even after all these issues I still would not trade it, and will keep it since it is paid for.

Thanks for the heads up. By detonation, do you mean pinging?
Yup, and it is generally pretty localized in the RPM band. Mine does it only between 2200 & 2600 rpm if memory serves. It will hit 2200 and the rattle is immediate until it shifts and then it gets back up there and starts again.

I believe there are also quite a few people that have had problems with a servo in the transmission that causes the 1-2 shift to flare (could be the 2-3, I forget).

Personally, the only problem besides the rattle that I have had is a power steering pump that the dealer replaced under warranty. Its been a good truck and I plan to drive it until it dies. And then that will just be a good excuse to put a 5.0 in it:D

Rust on the radiator support and door skin seams. Had door skin and tailgate seam rust on both Rangers I had before too. Note that I lease a new rig every three years and the rust then occurred before three years was up.
Tracs have a plastic bed and tailgate so rust is not a problem there.

Yep the 2-3 flare is what snake charmer is referring to. That was my issue with my tranny, and when they tore it apart to find out if that was the problem they found other parts that were shot (Bands??) I beleive. I almost missed the Moad trip in May because they took so long getting it back together.

Chad

Rust on the radiator support and door skin seams. Had door skin and tailgate seam rust on both Rangers I had before too. Note that I lease a new rig every three years and the rust then occurred before three years was up.
Tracs have a plastic bed and tailgate so rust is not a problem there.

Didnt even think of that since these trucks are half plastic. But then again I think even plastic rusts in the NorthEast.:D

Yes pinging sound. I have had mine replaced 3 times.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not a motorhead, I don't see myself replacing a timing chain. 3 timing chains...wow. In how many miles?

Thanks for the reply.

#1 factor to look for is a 2002 or newer model. Avoid the SOHC engines before 2002, that valvetrain issue was more related to the previous plastic cassette design around the chains. The 2002 revised guides are better, quality maintenance should get very good service life. If there is no noise from a 2002 or newer model and you know the history of the engine, go for it.

Avoid those with little or no maintenance history, and the 96-01 SOHC engines. Good luck,

#1 factor to look for is a 2002 or newer model....
Avoid those with little or no maintenance history, and the 96-01 SOHC engines. Good luck,

That is the sort of guidance I was looking for. I have a couple of '01s and '03's on my "short list", I think I will concentrate on the '03s. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad to help, beyond that specific stuff, look at features, look for corrosion, and parts which become obsolete. Paint and mechanical items can be fixed anywhere, forever.

The interior and trim becomes impossible to buy after a number of years, those are far more important if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time. Regards,

Glad to help... if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time. Regards,
Thanks for the advice.
I just put a deposit on a 2003 XLT, loaded up with only 25k miles on it, for $14,700. Has orig tires and brakes, so they will need replacing soon, but interior is pristine, dark blue paint very nice. Only issue is cables on tonneau cover have siezed so locks don't wok. I'm thinking WD 40 will fix that.
I was looking at 2001 with 70k to 120k, but I'm just getting out of a high mileage Subaru, and don't want to deal with frequent repairs. With the low mileage I'll put on this truck it should last me 10 years, at least.

Sounds like a great start. Welcome to the site, browse around and see what everyone else has done with their trucks.

my '03 trac has 170 000 KM on it...thats just over 100 000 miles. and really it runs great, even though I drive the crap out of it. most of the things I've had to deal with are really minor, had to do my rotors about 6 months ago, but that was totally my fault. minor sweat on the main transmision seal, but honeslty thats been there since it was new, and I think that the seal between the downtube(dipstick) and the tranny it self is a little loose, causing it to over seep just a likke after a long trip, or heavy towing.
a lot of ppl on hear have had to replace windows motors, but I think that if they regreased them from time to time, that issue could be avoided.

I would just like to say I LOVE MY TRAC, and plan to keep it forever.

one more thing...some tracs sit crooked, but this is NOT a spring problem...just a torsion adjustment... I found that out after replaceing my whole suspension, only to find that the problem was still there....800 bucks and like 10 hours of my time later....I realized that a twist of a bolt and a 50$ alignment would have fixed the problem...

Dave

Even though you already got a ST I'll post anyway for others aswell. Balljoints are also a early wear item. When I bought my 01 wit h78K on it the lowers where shot. With only 25K on yours they shouldn't be an issue for yours yet.

Even though you already got a ST I'll post anyway for others aswell. Balljoints are also a early wear item. When I bought my 01 wit h78K on it the lowers where shot. With only 25K on yours they shouldn't be an issue for yours yet.

Thanks. I did look at an '01 with 87k, that had just had the lowers replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone searching the web wants to know more about this vehicle, here's a list of things I have come accross in my 02 sport trac. Sway bars have to bereplaced often. Ball joints wear out quickly. Digital compass quit working and is a few hundred to replace at a mechanic. The door windows all quit working simultaneously- still working on getting that fixed (sunroof and rear windshield still work). Motor was rebuilt at 144000 due to a broken spring. It has 158000 miles and is a fun truck to drive but I'm thinking about selling and getting something with fewer gadgets to go wrong and tougher suspension. I hope this helps anyone looking buy one

Back