2020 Explorer brake issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer brake issue

Post number 113 has been selected as best answered.

I just found this thread - has anyone found the cause of this and had it corrected? This situation has happened to me three times in the nine months that I've owned my ST. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and would like to pass along any information that could help get the issue fixed. My concern is that it happens so sporadically that they won't be able to replicate it.

My dealer just replaced the entire brake booster assembly. Got it back on Friday, but with COVID lockdown I don’t have a clear idea if it fixed the issue.
If you are going to bring it in take a ride with the service manager. Explain the pedal feel when it occurs and request they discuss with the Ford hotline. This is becoming a known issue, as Ford authorized the brake booster replacement in only 2 days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All electric brakes? This will be the new Firestone in a few years when an entire family or two, or 10 gets killed.

Disgusting engineering.

My 2018 Explorer right rear brake was seizing or something, it gets super hot and everything smelled like metal burning (like when you are cutting or grinding metal). I'm glad it is a lease and I'm turning it in at the end of the year. Ford should have fixed the electric assist on the 2020s by 2021 (hopefully).

My dealer just replaced the entire brake booster assembly. Got it back on Friday, but with COVID lockdown I don’t have a clear idea if it fixed the issue.
If you are going to bring it in take a ride with the service manager. Explain the pedal feel when it occurs and request they discuss with the Ford hotline. This is becoming a known issue, as Ford authorized the brake booster replacement in only 2 days.

Thanks for that info. I don't have the Street Pack on my ST (so I have the standard brakes, which I believe are shared with the Platinum). Would this still apply to me?

What I noticed was that, on those 3 occasions, I had turned my car on, shifted from park to reverse, and I started rolling backward, and my brake peddle felt as though it wouldn't work. It was as if the car was off and I could not fully depress the brake peddle (it would only go down a little). My car's engine was clearly on each time. I had to shift back into park, turn the car off, then turn it back on--only after turning the car off and back on, I experienced no issue shifting back into reverse (just shifting back to park and then to reverse did not fix the issue).

Sounds like an electrical bug to me.

My dealer says, can't find anything wrong. It happens to me most often when I'm backing out of a parking spot. It's frightening when you press on the brake and the vehicle just keeps going. It's like I have my foot on the brake and the gas at the same time. It happens often enough now that I'm used to it. This brake system is not like any other. It is not consistent and if that's normal we need an explanation from Ford.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with electric brake boosters. They tend to have less feel than vacuum boosters, but they haven't been around as long to develop refinement. Same with electric steering boosters. You should still have brake function if there is an issue with the booster, same as the old style, albeit requiring significantly more foot pressure. Do you still have brake function when this occurs? I suggest you press the dealer and perhaps contact Ford. Dealing with safety issues should not be on you.

I don’t think that’s the case here. Just overcoming reverse doesn’t require much pedal. If the people complaining have to do a
full panic stop I think there’s more than just not having the additional boost.

I don’t think that’s the case here. Just overcoming reverse doesn’t require much pedal. If the people complaining have to do a
full panic stop I think there’s more than just not having the additional boost.

I think so too, because my ST doesn't have the electric brake boosters (to my knowledge, since I don't have the Street Pack) and I am encountering the same issue.

I think so too, because my ST doesn't have the electric brake boosters (to my knowledge, since I don't have the Street Pack) and I am encountering the same issue.

All explorers have an electronic brake booster. New for 2020.

My Explorer is at the dealer now for the brake issue. I passed the info about the brake booster assembly along to them. I'll post how things turn out.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with electric brake boosters. They tend to have less feel than vacuum boosters, but they haven't been around as long to develop refinement. Same with electric steering boosters. You should still have brake function if there is an issue with the booster, same as the old style, albeit requiring significantly more foot pressure. Do you still have brake function when this occurs? I suggest you press the dealer and perhaps contact Ford. Dealing with safety issues should not be on you.
The assembly is not just the booster, but also the ABS from what I was told. When the issue occurs it feels as if the ABS is activated and your brakes are hydraulically locked and pedal cannot be depressed. The only way to stop the truck is to either shift out of gear or pump the brakes.

All 2020 Explorers went to the electronic unit, regardless of trim level.

if your dealer is saying nothing is wrong recommend finding a new dealer. Took 2 visits for mine to take us seriously and contact Ford.

The problem comes from the manufacturer, and there's a chance of crashing so double-check everything in your car and have it fixed immediately if you notice some unusual problem

That’s often easier said than done. You’ll get the infamous “we couldn’t reproduce the issue” while trying to whisk you out the door with no paperwork or proof.

That’s often easier said than done. You’ll get the infamous “we couldn’t reproduce the issue” while trying to whisk you out the door with no paperwork or proof.

My car has been at the dealer one day, and they "cannot reproduce the issue". The issue has happened to me 3 times in the 2,000 miles and 9 months I've had it.

SOP for almost all Ford dealerships! #1 blame the customer #2 pretend to be ignorant

SOP for almost all Ford dealerships! #1 blame the customer #2 pretend to be ignorant
I'm happy my dealership isn't in that boat.:thumbsup:

Peter

Peter

My service department seems to be pretty good, but the impression I get is that unless they can provide specific information (photos of issue, or experience with issue) to Ford, Ford won't cover the repair. It makes me wonder if Ford is the bottleneck in some cases, and that dealer can't proceed because Ford won't cover the cost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter

Send Christmas cards, give them a hug, etc you found a good one.

We've been to multiple dealerships in NJ and MI over the past 30 years and the experience has been the same. Southeast Michigan has a number of Ford dealers that are in the top 10-15 in terms of volume sales, like Suburban Ford of Sterling Heights (#1 for a few years), Elder Ford, Mike Dorian Ford, etc... and they all are pretty much the same. The showrooms might look fancier and the salespeople are dressed better, but the customer service aspect is about the same as it was in the 1980s. Step #1, blame the customer. Step #2, pretend it is normal, Step #3 claim it can't be reproduced, Step #4 feign ignorance when you show them a TSB or other bulletin. Step #5 make you call Ford customer care.

Ford Customer Care is another ball of wax. They will say anything and everything to blame the customer, and thump adamantly that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and/or design. The whole company has become a cancer. YMMV if you get the right person to help you out, but generally speaking our experience has not been positive with Ford after-sales service (at dealer level and at Ford corporate level).

In terms of recalls, I have to schedule an appointment 4 weeks in advance, and they may have to hold the vehicle up to a week. Meanwhile, I am not offered a loan vehicle which they label as a courtesy vehicle.

For my Fusion steering wheel bolt recall, I just drove straight to the dealer and they told me to make an appointment. I reminded them I got the car from them, and they quickly came out with a mechanic which took under 15 seconds to swap.

I learned to work on cars from owning Fords.

Back