Issue with Brakes, after starting Car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issue with Brakes, after starting Car

Crazy Coach

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an intermittent issue with my 2020 Ford Explorer. After I startup, I place the car in reverse to back up out of the garage. When I go to push on the brakes it is like they are LOCKED UP. if I apply the normal amount of pressure, the car does not stop. I am forced to press as hard as I can. Then put the transmission back in park. after I catch my breath, I can then put the car in reverse and it functions correctly. This is very annoying, and I'm concerned that if my wife or kids were to be driving the car when this happens, they might not be able to stop the car. Let me know if anyone else has experienced his phenomenon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you may be having an issue with the electric power brake booster. I would definitely have it looked at by your dealer.

I have an intermittent issue with my 2020 Ford Explorer. After I startup, I place the car in reverse to back up out of the garage. When I go to push on the brakes it is like they are LOCKED UP. if I apply the normal amount of pressure, the car does not stop. I am forced to press as hard as I can. Then put the transmission back in park. after I catch my breath, I can then put the car in reverse and it functions correctly. This is very annoying, and I'm concerned that if my wife or kids were to be driving the car when this happens, they might not be able to stop the car. Let me know if anyone else has experienced his phenomenon.
Ford can fix it...

AF/E-CST STS WHEN PRESSING BRAKE PEDAL IT WILL GET REALLY STIFF AND HARD TO BRAKE. HAVE TO APPLY LOTS OF PRESSURE ON PEDAL TO STOP.
WAS BACKING OUT OF APARKING SPOT AT STORE AND COULDNT STOP FOR BRAKE PEDAL WAS TO HARD TO PUSH. HA
CAUSE: M-TIME: . 5 H R , N O . L A B O R O P
600 CST STS WHEN PRESSING BRAKE PEDAL IT WILL GET
REALLY STIFF AND HARD TO BRAKE. HAVE TO
APPLY LOTS OF PRESSURE ON PEDAL TO STOP. WAS BACKING OUT OF APARKING SPOT AT STORE AND COULDNT STOP FOR BRAKE PEDAL WAS TO HARD TO PUSH. HAS HAPPENED AFEW TIMES EVEN BACKING OUT OF GARAGE.
2611 NORTON,JOSHUA RLIC#: 001157287 W 0.00
(N/C) PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE A: 0.00
4284M-TIME:.5HR, NO LABOR OP 0.50 CHECKED OASIS, FOUND SSM 49011 RELATED TO CUSTOMER CONCERN OF HARD BRAKE PEDAL. REPROGRAJVIMED ABS
MODULE PER SSM INSTRUCTION. NO CONCERNS PRESENT AFTER REPAIRS ****************************************************

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you happen to notice is the was a Reverse Brake Assist waring? There are a few threads on that issue.

Peter

This is a known issue. It is 100 percent repeatable with my 2020 ST, and I think there is a TSB action on it. I found that if I press hard on the brake pedal when starting the car it will exhibit this problem, if I press lightly on the pedal when starting the car the brakes work as expected. I haven't take it in to be fixed yet.

This is a known issue. It is 100 percent repeatable with my 2020 ST, and I think there is a TSB action on it. I found that if I press hard on the brake pedal when starting the car it will exhibit this problem, if I press lightly on the pedal when starting the car the brakes work as expected. I haven't take it in to be fixed yet.

The TSB was posted 2 posts above yours a few days ago.

Hi I'm unfamiliar with what this means. I'm experiencing a similar issue, but my local shop said they can't reproduce it, so they can't fix it. They also don't have any 'known' issues reported on this problem. I drive a 2020 Ford Explorer Limited. What exactly is a TSB and is it something I could take to the dealership so they have something to go off of?

Give this to the service tech.....FOUND SSM 49011 RELATED TO CUSTOMER CONCERN OF HARD BRAKE PEDAL. REPROGRAJVIMED ABS
tell them to look it up on their computers.

Ok thank you. It's strange that I just had this in the shop and they didn't find anything, but I was able to find this doing a quick google search. Thanks again.

................................. What exactly is a TSB and is it something I could take to the dealership so they have something to go off of?
The forum has a list of these and recalls but it is not always up-to-date as much of it depends on messages posted by members.

Peter

Yes! I have experienced this problem multiple times. I have had the car looked at and nothing was fixed. It is going in again in a week.

Back