Water pump failure | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure

When the timing cover is removed and you are replacing the water pump there is almost no way to keep the oil pan coolant free as its wide open for it to run down. You can drain the radiator and any hose you want and it will still dump half a gallon of coolant straight towards the oil pan. I'd be afraid if oil and filter wasn't on the list.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am at 180k on 2011 on stock coolant [never changed] and water pump. i am so torn if i should do it or not. i am tempted but not at the same time.

I am at 180k on 2011 on stock coolant [never changed] and water pump. i am so torn if i should do it or not. i am tempted but not at the same time.
According to your Owner's Manual, engine coolant should be changed every 6 years or 100k miles (160k km) whichever comes first. I think you're a little overdue.
Depending on how long you intend to keep the Explorer, I may be tempted to drive it until the pump fails, if it should. If you change out the pump and timing chain first, you may as well change the coolant at the same time.

Peter

Has anyone replaced their water pump, timing chain, guides etc as a preventive maintenance precaution? We have a 2014 with almost 80,000 + miles and I am considering doing that. I would like to keep this vehicle for another 40,000 miles. Vehicle is in excellent condition and with the current production issues, available 2021 Explorer dealer inventory and the cost it seems spending $2500 or so to extend the life of this vehicle might make sense. I have changed the PTU fluid twice a year when I do oil changes, drain ATF once a year and add new. Plugs, coolant have also been changed. On top of that we have to have snow tires so if I bought a new Explorer I would have to buy new wheels and tires as my current ones would not fit the new Explorer. That would run me another $1200 for wheels and tires. I realize there are no guarantees that a new pump would not fail at 25,000 miles but the likelihood of a new pump failing is certainly lower than a pump with 120,000 miles on it. If I have the dealer change the water pump what is the warranty they would give me?

Has anyone replaced their water pump, timing chain, guides etc as a preventive maintenance precaution? We have a 2014 with almost 80,000 + miles and I am considering doing that. I would like to keep this vehicle for another 40,000 miles. Vehicle is in excellent condition and with the current production issues, available 2021 Explorer dealer inventory and the cost it seems spending $2500 or so to extend the life of this vehicle might make sense. I have changed the PTU fluid twice a year when I do oil changes, drain ATF once a year and add new. Plugs, coolant have also been changed. On top of that we have to have snow tires so if I bought a new Explorer I would have to buy new wheels and tires as my current ones would not fit the new Explorer. That would run me another $1200 for wheels and tires. I realize there are no guarantees that a new pump would not fail at 25,000 miles but the likelihood of a new pump failing is certainly lower than a pump with 120,000 miles on it. If I have the dealer change the water pump what is the warranty they would give me?
Seems you are talking to yourself. If you see so strongly do it. I have 187k miles as of today on mine. water pump, coolant and timing change never done. [The only thing i have not done] . i am going take this car to 200k miles before getting a new one.

If I have my Explorer until 110k-120k, I'll probably have all that done(pump, timing chain, guides). I don't plan on doing it before 110k miles. Currently just under 100k. I might do a coolant drain/fill this spring, but depends if I still have it. My wife is currently driving it, but she's in the market for something new.

Yes, there are posts that indicate that some members have changed the pump and chain as preventative maintenance.
Ford Parts Warranty Ford and Motorcraft® Replacement Parts are covered against any defects in material or workmanship for 24-months/unlimited distance (whichever occurs first). Select parts, such as engines, transmissions, shocks, struts, and batteries, have even longer time and/or distance coverages.
Have considered what a Ford ESP Warranty would cost vs the cost of replacing the water pump etc.?

Peter

I've done at least 20 of these water pumps in the past few years. Some original ones at 220k, some at 80k. Its a complete crap shoot to when they go. 130k-170k is the normal for the original one to go till. Just did a 09 MKS the other day and it had 125k.

If I had one in my vehicle I'd do it every 100k. It not only the issue of them putting the coolant in the oil, they will also lock up and wreck your timing chains and possibly throw the timing out enough to bend valves. At 100k you can swap out just the pump and reuse most of your gaskets too as they are still nice and pliable. So really a tube of RTV, water pump, oil filter and fluids is all you need.

98% of the ones I have done have had perfectly fine timing components. As long as the oil is maintained the guides and tensioners will last 250k, they are much better designed than previous engines. My only concern is chain stretch on 200k + motors

I've done at least 20 of these water pumps in the past few years. Some original ones at 220k, some at 80k. Its a complete crap shoot to when they go. 130k-170k is the normal for the original one to go till. Just did a 09 MKS the other day and it had 125k.

If I had one in my vehicle I'd do it every 100k. It not only the issue of them putting the coolant in the oil, they will also lock up and wreck your timing chains and possibly throw the timing out enough to bend valves. At 100k you can swap out just the pump and reuse most of your gaskets too as they are still nice and pliable. So really a tube of RTV, water pump, oil filter and fluids is all you need.

98% of the ones I have done have had perfectly fine timing components. As long as the oil is maintained the guides and tensioners will last 250k, they are much better designed than previous engines. My only concern is chain stretch on 200k + motors
Just a question. I can get hold of a local engine with less than 60k installed . i have 187k on mine and plan to do this as it is cheaper obviously. is this a bad idea? .

If I was swapping out an engine I would definately replace the water pump, easy job with the engine on the ground. Also, depending on the age of the engine the water pump had some improvements.

BTW, what would an ESP cost for a vehicle with 85,000 miles on it?

These engines go to 300k+ with simple maintenance. Swapping an engine isn't fun for a driveway mechanic in these as it comes out the bottom. To do the water pump in mkz/fusion or mkx/edge its also waaaaay easier to drop the motor down than fight the timing cover in/out. In a shop w/lift it only takes about 2 hours to drop down the motor on the subframe.

I wouldn't consider swapping in any used motor regardless of miles without swapping the pump first.

.................................BTW, what would an ESP cost for a vehicle with 85,000 miles on it?
I guess that would depend upon where you buy it.

Peter

I think changing the oil is key to keeping the timing chain from elongating. They don't stretch, the components within them wear down and worn out oil will contribute to that or speed up the process. I'm also not sure whether or not harsh acceleration contributes to elongating the timing chain or not. Once the chain has more slack it has a negative impact on the water pump.

Your lucky you caught it when you did. I wouldn’t be driving it until it’s fixed. A lot of people don’t even know the pump is leaking until it’s too late. Water pumps go bad on any vehicle, but on these Ford decided to make them internal and driven by timing chain for some reason. The earlier ones dont have the weep hole that the later ones do. What’s more interesting is that the Mazda versions of the 3.5 & 3.7 are both belt driven water pumps.

.................................... but on these Ford decided to make them internal and driven by timing chain for some reason. ..........................................
The water pump was installed internally due to space limitation with the transverse engine. Since it is now an internal item, timing chains were likely used over belts due to their longer life expectancy.

Peter

The water pump was installed internally due to space limitation with the transverse engine. Since it is now an internal item, timing chains were likely used over belts due to their longer life expectancy.

Peter

I am wrong I was thinking of the power steering pump. The Mazda’s actually have one rather than an electric rack like ours. The water pump is still internal on the Mazda’s. It makes sense what you are saying about space. It’s just one of those things that should be changed at recommended intervals as preventative maintenance due to being internal

I am wrong I was thinking of the power steering pump. The Mazda’s actually have one rather than an electric rack like ours. The water pump is still internal on the Mazda’s. It makes sense what you are saying about space. It’s just one of those things that should be changed at recommended intervals as preventative maintenance due to being internal
The problem is that is is a hells expensive maintenance item assuming that it is "maintained" BEFORE it fails and takes out the engine. It is a shame really because the 3.5L/3.7L engines are just about bullet proof otherwise.

The problem is that is is a hells expensive maintenance item assuming that it is "maintained" BEFORE it fails and takes out the engine. It is a shame really because the 3.5L/3.7L engines are just about bullet proof otherwise.
True, I know how expensive it is. That's part of the reason I got my ‘15 xlt so cheap. I guess you gotta look at it like a right of passage type thing.

True, I know how expensive it is. That's part of the reason I got my ‘15 xlt so cheap. I guess you gotta look at it like a right of passage type thing.
I agree on the preventive action. I think this can be used as a tactic to beat down the price on 100k+ used vehicles. If I were buying a 5th gen Explorer I would get one cheap with around 125k miles in good condition, swap the water pump and drive it well beyond 200k miles likely trouble free beyond regular maintenance. This is probably what I will do when our 2015 Edge clicks over 100k miles. It is worth this expense to keep it rolling reliably for another 100k+ miles without car payments. These days a $1,500 repair bill is just 1.5 car payments on something new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It made sense to me too. I did a preemptive replacement of the water pump, on my 2011 Explorer Limited at 200,000 miles. My calculus was different from most because I use the care for Uber and Lyft. ie I make money with it. I budget 5 cents a mile for repairs and maintenance and it has been 80000 miles since the replacement.... so its worked out, And its running great

I now send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs on a regular basis and one of the things they are looking for is coolant contamination. Hopefully they will find a problem before a catastrophic failure. Whether they do or not, I'm planning for another water pump next year at 350,000 miles,

Back