woke up to steering wheel not moving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

woke up to steering wheel not moving

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
Noticed fluid under the car - my power steering fluid is completely empty.

Like a month ago I used a turkey baster and sucked out the fluid that was in the resvoir part and filled it with mercon V but it was only that little bit and the rest of it was prestone power steering fluid, did mixing those 2 things damage something and make it leak?

Otherwise the hoses in my powersteering fluid system have been replaced a year ago.

What do you guys think happened?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you lost your PS fluid.

It could be half a dozen things. Pump, lines, cooler, rack, etc. Have you poked around under the hood and under the truck? Shouldn’t be hard to figure out where the fluid is coming from.

I think you lost your PS fluid.

It could be half a dozen things. Pump, lines, cooler, rack, etc. Have you poked around under the hood and under the truck? Shouldn’t be hard to figure out where the fluid is coming from.

oh yeah def, guess i need to replace this hose lol - any ideas what this hose is called?

QMAVuFv.jpg

Loos like a cooler hose to me. For now you could probably cut the metal, and move the clamp down to get you through a few days.

Loos like a cooler hose to me. For now you could probably cut the metal, and move the clamp down to get you through a few days.
right on! Yeah i notice that part is metal, so does that mean the power steering fluid cooler needs to be replaced?

Yes. A new one will have the flares to assist in keeping the hoses put. It’s gonna take some work getting all the air out. You need to turn the wheel lock to lock slowly to purge it. Otherwise you will get a death wobble at speed.

Also, it's recommended to bleed out air (turn steering wheel back and forth) with wheels jacked up off the ground....

Can confirm that If you don't spend some time purging the lines you are not going to have a fun time.

I believe that is the return line to the PS res. Low pressure.

Is the hose shot or is the cooler tube leaking?

Either way, easy fix. As mentioned, after you top the fluid up, Jack the front, start the truck, and turn the wheel lock to lock a ****load of times. The air will come out.

I managed to get all the air out on mine without jacking it up, just driving slow and a half dozen lock to lock turns.

I’ve never jacked it up to do it, but if you have it up on stands to replace the cooler, that’d be a great time to do it.

I believe that is the return line to the PS res. Low pressure.

Is the hose shot or is the cooler tube leaking?

Either way, easy fix. As mentioned, after you top the fluid up, Jack the front, start the truck, and turn the wheel lock to lock a ****load of times. The air will come out.

do i need to keep the power steering fluid cap off when doing this or should i keep it on?

Yes, cap OFF while bleeding....

It’ll vent with the cap on or off. It vents every single time the fluid warms up, it’s not a closed system.

Like a month ago I used a turkey baster and sucked out the fluid that was in the resvoir part and filled it with mercon V but it was only that little bit and the rest of it was prestone power steering fluid, did mixing those 2 things damage something and make it leak?

Otherwise the hoses in my powersteering fluid system have been replaced a year ago.

I suspect that is the cause. Hydraulic fluids are highly engineered to work with specific pressures and other parameters. You should do a proper bleed and fill to see if it fixes the problem using fluid specified in the manual.

I suspect that is the cause. Hydraulic fluids are highly engineered to work with specific pressures and other parameters. You should do a proper bleed and fill to see if it fixes the problem using fluid specified in the manual.
Hydraulic fluids do vary but I believe that mainly comes to seal conditioners and whatnot. Not actually working pressure though I’m sure it changes a negligible amount. I have mixed fluids many times like he has and never had an issue. I always recommend the atf option as it’s about the highest quality fluid you put in your vehicle with extremely well tested seal conditioners. Never had one power steering pump fail on any vehicle I own. Some with 400k plus miles. I do put the recommended ratio of Lucas trans fix in with my fluid. I’m sure I’ll get dogged for this but again, silent pumps, reliable racks, no line issues. Now a rack with 250k is lose but it just gets softer with experience. The lines blowing can be so many things. How long did the system sit open to the air and where. Rust inside a hydraulic line plus outside equals a blow one day. Break lines are the same. Hydrascopic???? I believe that’s what many hydraulic fluids are. Meaning they absorb water as they sit when opened. ONLY ever used sealed hydraulic fluids and try to keep the system with the cap on and filled with fluid to limit absorption. If working on these lines try not to let the night air or really any air get to them. Make a plan. Buy the parts. Get the right tools. Wham bam method.

Mine does the same thing but evidently not as bad. I got under the vehicle and I believe it to be the rack and pinion assembly. I think the seals on the left side are leaking into the rubber dust cover and then leaking onto the ground.

Use Mercon V, or a quality synthetic power steering fluid. Either will work fine, and keep the pump from the famous Ford whine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn’t worry about the mixed fluids. It calls for Mercon V but I’ve used quality power steering fluid as well with no issues and long service.

Back