Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 155 87.6%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.4%

• Total voters
An update dealer wants $3500 just for water pump and $5500 to replace everything in the motor says rebuild motor cost $9000 other shops $2500 just for water pump.Palm Beach Florida.
I had the water pump, timing chain, guides, oil pump and front seal done by a private shop. not a dealer) done in Cape Coral for $2200

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could buy a new engine for 3500. That is way too high. You need to find a shop that will just do the labor. You can buy everything you need for under $500. Go on RockAuto get a Ford waterpump and Cloyes timing set. Find a good shop and your engine will run like its brand new.

You could buy a new engine for 3500. That is way too high. You need to find a shop that will just do the labor. You can buy everything you need for under $500. Go on RockAuto get a Ford waterpump and Cloyes timing set. Find a good shop and your engine will run like its brand new.

The good thing about replacing the water pump, chains and guides is it is either done right or the engine will not run at all. If you get the car back and it is running properly with no leaks then it is very, very likely done right.

After looking around for shops most other shops were asking from 2500 to 3000 just for water pump i really always take my truck for service to ford for the same reason i paid before almost the same for brakes on other shop/ any ways here are the receipts any opinions would help also am going to talk to Ford warranty even if maybe am wasting my time. Money i don't have. have to look for a loan just want to vent some where i guess hopefully it helps some one else in the future. Also my serpentine belt makes a low buzzing noise, am just tire to go back to the dealer been there 4 times in a month. In addition my first explorer was a 2004 and this is a 2016 many people said those are the worst years :D my 2004 Explorer stay with me until 200000 + miles until i sold it to my neighbor for 600

IMG_0849 1.png

IMG_0848 2.png

Ouch!

Could have bought a 2004 explorer for 5 grand

I knew the labor charge would be intense but over 2 grand? Its a 10 hour job or somewhere in that area so $230/hour is ridiculous. I should get in the water pump business

Could have bought a 2004 explorer for 5 grand
When I was replacing my 2002 Explorer I intended to buy a 5th gen Explorer. I started reading though the 5th gen forum for potential issues with them. I eventually stumbled across this thread and by the time I was finished reading half of it I decided to buy a 2010 4th gen V8 model instead. I am not free of the 3.5L water pump problem because our 2015 Edge has the same drive train as the 5th gen 3.5L Explorers. It just went out of its extended warranty are we are looking to replace it before long. It is a shame that Ford decided to put an internal water pump in the 3.5L/3.7L transverse mounted V6. Other than the internal water pump it is nearly a bullet proof engine.
I knew the labor charge would be intense but over 2 grand? Its a 10 hour job or somewhere in that area so $230/hour is ridiculous. I should get in the water pump business
Ford is close to pushing attorney rates for car repairs.

.................................... also am going to talk to Ford warranty even if maybe am wasting my time. Money i don't have. have to look for a loan just want to vent some where i guess hopefully it helps some one else in the future..........................................
I doubt you will get anywhere with Ford in helping to pay for some of this. Every buyer has the option to purchase an ESP which would have covered this and likely would have cost you about 25% of what this bill shows. It could have been worse if it took out the engine too.

Peter

I doubt you will get anywhere with Ford in helping to pay for some of this. Every buyer has the option to purchase an ESP which would have covered this and likely would have cost you about 25% of what this bill shows. It could have been worse if it took out the engine too.

Peter
I think the only extended warranty I ever lost money on was my 1989 LX 5.0L. The others more than paid for themselves.

Peter
This is my first new truck i was expecting good service maintenance will keep me away from expensive repairs. But yea i had been in contact with ford and most sites said most of 16 explorers if not all had this problem. Just hoping for a recall.

This is my first new truck i was expecting good service maintenance will keep me away from expensive repairs. But yea i had been in contact with ford and most sites said most of 16 explorers if not all had this problem. Just hoping for a recall.
This problem has plagued many 5th gen Explorers of all model years. I'd be very surprised if they issued a Recall. Recalls are for 'safety related' issues. I don't think a failed water pump would fall into that category.
Recalls are issued when an auto manufacturer or the NHTSA determines that a certain part of a vehicle poses an unreasonable safety risk and does not meet minimum safety standards. Once a recall is issued, manufacturers are required by law to provide a remedy for the issue. Repairing the issue (Most Common). Replacing a defective part.
A TSB might be a more appropriate way to go but a TSB repair is only done without charge if the vehicle is under warranty.
Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are recommended steps and procedures for repairing vehicles. A TSB is issued by an automaker when there is a growing trend with an unanticipated problems.

Peter

This problem has plagued many 5th gen Explorers of all model years. I'd be very surprised if they issued a Recall. Recalls are for 'safety related' issues. I don't think a failed water pump would fall into that category.
Recalls are issued when an auto manufacturer or the NHTSA determines that a certain part of a vehicle poses an unreasonable safety risk and does not meet minimum safety standards. Once a recall is issued, manufacturers are required by law to provide a remedy for the issue. Repairing the issue (Most Common). Replacing a defective part.
A TSB might be a more appropriate way to go but a TSB repair is only done without charge if the vehicle is under warranty.
Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are recommended steps and procedures for repairing vehicles. A TSB is issued by an automaker when there is a growing trend with an unanticipated problems.

Peter
yes i do understand about the people that pay for extended warranty deserve better treatment still something has to be done about us who take care good care of our car or truck with the schedule maintenance

yes i do understand about the people that pay for extended warranty deserve better treatment still something has to be done about us who take care good care of our car or truck with the schedule maintenance
In my opinion, everyone deserves the same treatment whether they have an extended warranty or not. It is just that without that warranty, you can't expect to have the manufacturer pay for costs that are no longer covered. Otherwise, why offer a warranty? Ford has 'stepped up' on occasion to help out some customers just outside of the OEM warranty, but it is their decision depending upon individual circumstances.

Peter

Peter
Two questions on the extended warranties you mention

1) how far to they extend? I replaced the water pump, timeing chain etc at 200,000 miles would an extended warranty have helped me

2) do extended warranties cover proactive repairs. I replaced the water pump before it failed. If I had had an extended warranty, would it have helped?

As for #2, I don't believe that an ESP would have helped in that situation since there was no breakdown of the replaced part.
I did an Internet search for the length of time and it looks like 8 years, 150k miles seems to be the longest. However, in that search it also mentioned a Medium Duty Ford Protect which I haven't about before.

Peter

I took my car into a Ford dealership at just over 100000 miles to get some advice. I told the service manager that I wanted to keep the car forever, that I was putting a lot of miles on it so I wanted to develop a preventative maintenance schedule. (This was before I knew anything about the water pump issue) I specifically asked about the timing chain. And was told that the chain is a lifetime part and would never need replacement. No mention was made about the water pump. His advice was to just follow the owners manual

If ford had some advice in the owners manual or if they had sent an advisory to all of us recommending a water pump replacement then I would feel differently. But since they didn’t warn us, as they should have, i think Ford should help

Don’t get me wrong, routine maintenance should be on us and since water pumps routinely fail, I think we should be responsible to replace water pumps. Even it it costs $2000-$3000). But if a water pump fails and takes the engine with it, I think Ford should replace the engine for the cost of a water pump

But as has been said here already, “good luck with that”

As for #2, I don't believe that an ESP would have helped in that situation since there was no breakdown of the replaced part.
I did an Internet search for the length of time and it looks like 8 years, 150k miles seems to be the longest. However, in that search it also mentioned a Medium Duty Ford Protect which I haven't about before.

Peter

I’m reacting to your post where you imply that since we didn’t buy an extended warranty we shouldn’t expect Ford to help. You made my point. An extended warranty wouldn’t have helped me

Today just as i was parking at home, a strong coolant smell. Almost dry reservoir. Engine oil ok, no overheating. Take a look at the video, put the volume at lowest.
looks like a bad water pump, what do you think?

Attachments

• Coolant leak.mp4
    7.1 MB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say it is a bad water pump. You got lucky since the coolant stayed out of the crankcase. How many miles are on the vehicle?

Back