• Register Today It's free!

No Sound Screen Acoustic Glass?

against_The_Wind

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Timberline
Just bought a 2021 Explorer Timberline. All my previous Fords have had Sound Screen Acoustic Glass, this car does not and all literature on the Explorer says it come with an acoustic windshield and acoustic first row side glass.

The windshield is marked as laminate as all windshields are required to be laminated.

The side glass of the first row also says laminate.

My issue is that just because glass is laminated, that in no way means that the glass is Acoustic. Almost all automobile glass that is acoustic has a symbol indicating it, which they vary in type, or the glass will just have spell the word "acoustic" on the glass.

Nonetheless, acoustic glass can sigificantly cut down on road and wind noise and noise from other vehicles. My 2015 explorer had a sound screen winshield which is Ford's in house acoustic glass. I have heard through some reasearch that ford may have changed companies as far as their glass.

That does not explain why there are no acoustic markings on the glass and I saw other vehicles on the lot that were 2021's, such as an expedition and a mustang that had Sound Screen Glass.

Anyone know any other information on this or does your car show Sound Screen on the windshield? I'm particularly interested if anyone with 2020 explorers have Sound Screen glass and something changed for the 2021's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Found this on the Ford website for the 2021 Explorer Timberline;

Windows & Glass​

Standard​

• Acoustic - Laminate Windows Glass Front Row Side
  • Privacy Glass, Second, Third Row and Liftgate Open image overlay for Privacy Glass, Second, Third Row and Liftgate

Peter​

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Found this on the Ford website for the 2021 Explorer Timberline;

Windows & Glass​

Standard​

• Acoustic - Laminate Windows Glass Front Row Side
  • Privacy Glass, Second, Third Row and Liftgate Open image overlay for Privacy Glass, Second, Third Row and Liftgate

Peter​

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah they definetely say that in all the literature, but none of the glass on my explorer is indicating it is acoustic.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah they definetely say that in all the literature, but none of the glass on my explorer is indicating it is acoustic.
My 2020 ST should have acoustic glass also but I don't see any makings for it.

My 2020 ST should have acoustic glass also but I don't see any makings for it.
Dale,

thanks, I was curious on the 2020's. So it appears Ford is not using Sound screen on the lastest version of the Explorer, not sure what type of glass they are using, obviously its laminate, but we should all have acoustic laminate.

Just bought a 2021 Explorer Timberline. All my previous Fords have had Sound Screen Acoustic Glass, this car does not and all literature on the Explorer says it come with an acoustic windshield and acoustic first row side glass.

The windshield is marked as laminate as all windshields are required to be laminated.

The side glass of the first row also says laminate.

My issue is that just because glass is laminated, that in no way means that the glass is Acoustic. Almost all automobile glass that is acoustic has a symbol indicating it, which they vary in type, or the glass will just have spell the word "acoustic" on the glass.

Nonetheless, acoustic glass can sigificantly cut down on road and wind noise and noise from other vehicles. My 2015 explorer had a sound screen winshield which is Ford's in house acoustic glass. I have heard through some reasearch that ford may have changed companies as far as their glass.

That does not explain why there are no acoustic markings on the glass and I saw other vehicles on the lot that were 2021's, such as an expedition and a mustang that had Sound Screen Glass.

Anyone know any other information on this or does your car show Sound Screen on the windshield? I'm particularly interested if anyone with 2020 explorers have Sound Screen glass and something changed for the 2021's.

Look for three little acoustic echos which looks like three little reverse CCCs with a circle around them, that is the symbol.

Here is what I have on my Aviator diver's side window.

Peter

20211018_141600.jpg

Every thing I have found says that means either it was made in China or meets their safety standard. How to Tell If You Have an Acoustic Windshield?

Does it have an A beside the symbol? AGC Automotive on it? Carlite? Usually glass is sourced from the same country the vehicle is produced in.

Some thicker layer glass does not say Acoustic on it but is still considered Acoustic, Why not just tint the front side windows and then have a better R value than either the temper-lite or acoustic glass.

Does it have an A beside the symbol? AGC Automotive on it? Carlite? Usually glass is sourced from the same country the vehicle is produced in.

Some thicker layer glass does not say Acoustic on it but is still considered Acoustic, Why not just tint the front side windows and then have a better R value than either the temper-lite or acoustic glass.
No, I don't see any of those markings. My ST is real quite with really no wind noise. So at this point I don't know if it has acoustic glass or not. Some articles I've seen claim Ford has used it on almost all vehicles since I think it was 2008. I'm really not to concerned about it.

That article “How to tell if you have an Acoustic windshield” is garbage.

According to it, the glass on my car was made in both China and Europe. These are nothing but standards, not origins.

Yeah and it also has "E" code on it, so they are sold globally in China and Europe.

Yeah most car markers use the local market to source glass for their autos, they just need to make sure it complies with the country codes it is sold in. Mine has an A on but I am not sure their is a way to tell if it is Acoustic glass or not since it depends on the glass maker.

The A is used to denote acoustic glass by some manufacturers.

I seen that on a couple of sites.

Here is what I have on my Aviator diver's side window.

Peter

View attachment 397327

Here's a pic from the passenger front side window of my 2021 Platinum build date Sept 9, 2021 - the 2 pics look similar
Codes and certifications and labels nothwithstanding I was stopped next to a F250HD diesel earlier today, rolled down the window - fairly noisy, rolled up the window - impresively quiet (perhaps the proof of the pudding......)

Passenger glass.jpg

Here's a pic from the passenger front side window of my 2021 Platinum build date Sept 9, 2021 - the 2 pics look similar
Codes and certifications and labels nothwithstanding I was stopped next to a F250HD diesel earlier today, rolled down the window - fairly noisy, rolled up the window - impresively quiet (perhaps the proof of the pudding......)

View attachment 422414
That is almost identical to mine. And I agree if the windows are up it is pretty quite. Maybe Ford has changed the way the windows are marked.

Wha exactly is the characteristics of the R value? My main concern is noise dampening, never thought if tint could have any affect on that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The A is used to denote acoustic glass by some manufacturers.
I was aware that often just a capital "A" is stamped on the glass to denote acoustic, but it's nowhere to be found on the windshield or side glass.

View attachment 422414
That is exactly what I have. Better to have laminated than tempered, but as I have said throughout this thread, laminate does not automatically = acoustic and I have NEVER seen auto glass that is acoustic not have some form of stamping on the glass that indicates it is.

It would be really odd that Ford would go to the expense of using acoustic glass and not have it marked as such. Ford seemed pretty proud of their acoustic windshields with having to have "Sound Screen" in bold letters.

But who knows.

Back